Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Survey Asks DCPS Middle Schoolers If They Are Transgender

Started by Shana A, October 13, 2010, 08:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Survey Asks DCPS Middle Schoolers If They Are Transgender

http://dcist.com/2010/10/dcps_contracted_survey_asks_kids_if.php

How far is too far when it comes to asking the District's public school students about sexual behavior? Is it acceptable to ask them if they can name the bodily fluids that transmit HIV? If they know how to put on a condom correctly? Whether they know how to "convince a reluctant partner to use barrier protection?" Where do you draw the line? That's the question raised by this report  in the Georgetown Dish, who discovered that a survey which was given to students at Hardy Middle School is asking some very frank questions about sexual acts and identity -- ones that I'd be willing to bet many adults would blush at.

--------------------

Parents upset about sex survey given at Hardy Middle School in D.C.

October 12, 2010 - 05:43 pm
ABC 7 News

Some seventh graders at Hardy Middle School in D.C. were given a questionnaire that some parents found very inappropriate.

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/10/parents-upset-about-sex-survey-given-at-hardy-middle-school-in-d-c--20595.html

A number of parents at Hardy Middle School raised questions about an survey of 11 and 12 year olds about their sexual knowledge. The test was administered by the group Metro TeenAIDS.

The first question asks: what is your gender?

The choices are: A. male, B. female, C. transgender male to female, D. transgender female to male.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Miniar

I need to make sure that there's adequate sex-ed in my daughter's school.
I don't want her to be 13-14, sexually active (some start that young) AND uninformed.
I'd "prefer" she'd wait 'till she's at least 15-16, but failing to give her information BEFORE she "might" start having sex is just asking for trouble.

How come people don't grok that about their children?

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Muffin

"A. male, B. female, C. transgender male to female, D. transgender female to male. "

since when was "transgender male to female" and "transgender female to male" considered a gender?
it reeks of putting-words-into-peoples-mouths. My doctors consider me to be MTF but they also consider my actual gender to be female..So yeah I don't exactly understand what they are implying with that... if anything ..maybe they're not very bright and should be on the other side of the desk?
  •  

pebbles

Quote from: Muffin on October 13, 2010, 08:38:23 AM
"A. male, B. female, C. transgender male to female, D. transgender female to male. "

since when was "transgender male to female" and "transgender female to male" considered a gender?
it reeks of putting-words-into-peoples-mouths. My doctors consider me to be MTF but they also consider my actual gender to be female..So yeah I don't exactly understand what they are implying with that... if anything ..maybe they're not very bright and should be on the other side of the desk?
Yeah I saw one of those on a different forum it wasn't transgender related and in the list of "gender" on your profile you had "Male" "Female" "MTF Trans" "FTM Trans" "Other" I was just... Why the hell would I put anything other than female when I want to be accepted as a female?

I should also point out at that age I was in deep denial I had been bullied earlier for begin shy and not a typical boy so I made sure I faked it as best as I could. I knew somthing was up with along those lines and was terrified pepole would find out but I didn't think I was transsexual then (My pre-conception was from jerry springer and I thought Transsexuals were perverted men in dresses)
  •  

Aidan_

Oh wow...as if you can just ask a 13/14 year old their gender right then and there. They barely understand what's happening to their bodies, so how would they get their true gender at that age? >_>
  •  

lilacwoman

I was quite surprised a couple of years ago to hear a group of schoolkids around 12/13 chatting about sex and gender and they had the basics correct too.
The condom talks have been given in UK schools for a while.
And I remember at 12/13 our lady teacher getting very redfaced at trying to give us some sex info way back in the dark ages.
we've had soaps with schoolgirl pregnancies and I think they are talking of a soap with a 13 year old mother so basically I have to think the parents of today have to get used to their kids needing to know as much about safe sex as possible. 
But maybe the kids need telling that no-one has ever died from lack of sex.

My boss worries about her two daughters getting into sex trouble but her 16 year old who so far hasn't had a boyfriend while
her 13 year old has been going steady for 6 months or so.

From what we Susanites know about TGism we have to think that any school will have one or more TG kids so anything that helps them must be good regardless of how bigotted or hypocritical the other parents are?
  •  

Shana A

Sex Survey at D.C. School Sparks Controversy

Published October 15, 2010
FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/15/sex-survey-dc-school-sparks-controversy/

A Washington, D.C., middle school is under fire after distributing a survey to seventh-graders asking both boys and girls about their sexual orientations and whether they knew how to put on a condom, among other sex-based questions.

snip

The students were asked their genders -- whether male, female or transgender. And they were asked to identify themselves as straight, bisexual, gay or lesbian or "not sure."
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•