Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Total Full Time Comes To A Grinding Halt

Started by Julie Marie, January 05, 2007, 09:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

I got the call today.  I go back into the field Monday.  That's the bad news. 

The good news is I'll be getting a paycheck again.

But what's better is what has happened to me the past two months, especially the last month.  I'm not the same person anymore.  The residual maleness is gone.  The fear of discovery is gone.  Heck, discovery doesn't even apply anymore.  If someone sees me as feminine it is because I am.  My self confidence is strong enough I would be planning on coming out if I was in a friendlier work environment. 

But the best thing is I won't be needing Jim to appear at work.  I am going.  Yes, I'll be dressed in male clothes but so is every other woman there (whenever there is a woman on the job which is rarely).  But in my mind I'll be female and I won't need to put on the macho mask to get through the day. 

I knew I'd changed for real when I got the call.  I had a hair appointment (finally did it!) this afternoon.  And I had no intentions to ask for a gender neutral hairstyle.  It was going to be all girl.  And that didn't change one bit when I found out I was going back to work.  Two hours later I was sitting in the chair at the salon excited about having my hair styled femininely for the first time in my life.  She did a very nice job and I know I'll be keeping it up with regular visits.  Two months ago I'd be scared to death someone at work would read me.  And I won't be removing my gel nails.  I'll file them down but I'm not removing them.  If someone has a problem, it's their problem, not mine. 

So in reality full time really hasn't ended.  People at work may still see me as male but I never will again.  The King is dead, long live the Queen!

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Sheila

Julie,
   Good for you.:0) Just be careful. Investigate your options on transitioning on the job. You don't have to go to anyone. Ask for the policies of your company. Then maybe go to a third party, someone who has nothing to do with this company and you trust.
Sheila
  •  

Cindi Jones

Well Julie,

Tread lightly and carry a big stick!  You know what I mean.  Take care, don't let them hurt you.  Get the paycheck and be happy.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Suzy

Go for it, girl!  And let us know how it works out.  Paychecks are good.  Eating can come in handy.

Peace,
Kristi
  •  

Laurry

That is so wonderful, Julie

Go be the woman you know you are, but like others have said, be careful.  Yours is not the most friendly workplace for anything outside what "Manly Men" consider normal.

We're all happy for you, and Kristi is right...eating is an activity most people find useful.

Hugs....Laurie
Ya put your right foot in.  You put your right foot out.  You put your right foot in and you shake it all about.  You do the Andro-gyney and you turn yourself around.  That's what it's all about.
  •  

Chaunte

Congratulations, Julie!

I wish you the best of luck, but watch your six.

Chaunte
  •  

beth

This is great news Julie. I hope all works out well for you.  You certainly deserve the right to be yourself.

beth
  •  

Jillieann Rose

So from what you said Julie total full time is not coming to a grinding halt.
You are no longer that male and you won't be even on the job. And I know from your other posting this has been a big struggle for you. That's a great attuited girl.

But like the other girls have already said and I know that you already know, do be careful.
Here are a couple of hugs just for you. :icon_hug: :icon_hug:
Jillieann
  •  

Brianna

I don't know, Julie. I've taken several days to think about it and I must take a different path. I see this as a Pyrrhic victory, if one at all.

I think that there are many facets to transtion, and I think acting like yourself is the primary one. But I also think establishing space and social getting acceptance as a woman is also important. This, in my opinion means dressing in the appropriate gender and having the right name and pronouns.

I do see your course of action as a major compromise in obtaining that.

Do this at your own pace with your own chosen battles. But I don't think this half measure is one that will stand.

Bri

•  

LynnER

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

I Disagree.... Total fulltime dosnt come to a grinding halt if you have to pull out your male clothes....
Look at it this way.... Your wearing guy clothes cuz there functional for what your doing...  Girls can look really cute or hot or better in guy clothes  *shrugs*  Its not too if you look at it that way....

Just dont stop being yourself and make sure people realize your a chick at work... Trust me when I say it can be fun  :)  *Huggles*
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Julie Marie on January 05, 2007, 09:37:35 PM
The King is dead, long live the Queen!

Julie

You were *never* a king, honey!

*HUGS*

You'll do fine!  I'm proud of you!   You can't NOT do this.  At least try. 

There's a point in the birthing process that is the point of no return.  You can't stop it.  Just hang on.  I think you're there, Julie.  Your birth is so close that anything else is counter productive.  Trying to stop it would cause more anguish than going forward. 

Follow your bliss, hon!

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Julie Marie

Thank you for the support.  I'd love going back to work if all of you were there.  ;D

Considering my options, doing what I plan is probably the best path.  Guy clothes doesn't mean you're a guy.  If I were to come out at work there would be no support system in place to protect me in the event of discrimination, which would almost be a certainty.  Since there's so many contractors on the job and so many companies, my company's policies wouldn't mean anything to them. 

My coming out might bring to everyone's attention the need to establish a non discriminatory policy.  But some companies may not see why they have to cater to me since I don't work for them.  It would be a battle I'd have to wage solo.  I'm not Rosa Parks nor do I want to be.  I'd probably be spending most of my free time fighting for my rights and would eventually be seen as a workplace burden.  I'd also most likely lose my foreman's pay and would definitely lose the respect I've worked to gain over the last 32 years.  There just isn't a positive I can see from coming out, except that I'd be a hero (poster child) for anyone else who's TG and I'm not ready for that. 

So I won't be coming out at work but I also won't be caving to the pressure to be macho.  If you knew construction you'd know that's a mini victory.  The only thing I'm worried about is my frame of mind.  Yesterday I was in my workshop dressed in pretty much what I'd wear to work (I call that my grubs) and within an hour I was feeling anxiety and depression.  When I was done working on my project I showered and fixed myself up and instantly I was in a wonderful mood.  I think a lot of that has to do with being at a point in my transition where I'm starting to feel real confidence about passing.  I don't feel I pass at all when in male clothes, unless I'm made up.   

Whatever....I'm blabbering.

I'll enjoy today to the fullest.  If I find being back at work is causing emotional distress and/or depression, I'll just have to make plans to do whatever I find is best for me.  I have no doubt I want to live full time as a woman and that may take precedence over everything else.  If that means I'll have to find another job, so be it.  I won't put myself back in that dungeon I lived in for 50 years.  No way, ain't gonna happen!

Now I gotta get back to that project! 

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

jamie lee

Julie it's been a couple of days since you when back to work, and just wondering how everything went?
Is all OK?

Jamie Lee
  •  

Cindi Jones

Yea Julie... we haven't heard from you doll... whas up?

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Melissa

I'm just wondering how long it will be until you reach your breaking point Julie.  You sound way to close to it already.  2 more years?  I'd be surprised to hear you last 2 more months regardless of how much you are fighting yourself.  I'm not advising you to do anything other than what you are doing; I'm just being realistic. :)

Melissa
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Hope things are going okay for you Julie.
Huggs,
Jillieann
  •