Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Court tomorrow...

Started by Elaine, January 11, 2007, 05:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elaine

... to have the judge (hopefully) approve my name change! Aaaaahhhh, sigh of relief.

The past few weeks have been ... like a dream. I went sorta full time a couple weeks ago (not 100% full time because of course the name wasn't legally changed, and as such I was still legally under my old name at work, but all my customers percieve me as female, anyway).

Just had to let this out... I'm so so so happy. I spent the whole day at the supreme court today working on paper work etc. They told me to come back tomorrow because the judge will be more likely to approve the pettition without gender-specific pronouns on the document.... let me explain that. The wording on the name change petition has to be consistent with my birth certificate, but in NY (not NYC) they will not change the gender on the birth certificate until they get a letter from a surgeon. I'm not there yet, SO, they made the petition non-gender-specific for me so that it doesn't say "he" and it's still consistent with the wording on the birth certificate. At least this way I will be more likely to get an "F" on my licence, because the name should speak for itself.

So, I'm happy!

P.S. It was funny watching the faces of the people helping me when they actually looked at the document and saw my old name... they said they never would have guessed! :) :) :)
  •  

morning_glory

Way to go!!! I just started considereing coming out of the closet yesterday, I I dream of one day having the courage to do what you're doing!!!
  •  

LynnER

Good luck  Elaine *Hugs*  I hope yours goes throgh smoothly.... I just got back from court myself for the second time and because all my paperwork was on the 06 forms I need to have everything redone   >:(

It sounds allot less complicated where your at though so  :)    Again I hope everything works out for you.
  •  

Melissa

Good luck Elaine.  that must be pretty exciting for you.

Melissa
  •  

GoodMorning

thats just awesome  ;D

Why do you actually have to appear? I guess it varies by state, but if Prince can change his name to a symbol and back again, why do you have to explain yourself?

~Mandy~
  •  

Cindi Jones

Happy happy day... oh happy day... oh happy day... when Elaine gets her dox to walk her life path...

Oh happy day...

There's a strong rythm to that life song.  Take 'em on today Elaine.  Divide and conquer.... that sort of thing.

Chin up!

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Steph

This is wonderful Elaine, and it is so obvious why staff "Would never have guessed", did you look in the mirror girl, you're gorgeous hon.

The name change is probably one of the most affirming steps that you can take, some may disagree but I feel it is confirmation of living full time, without it you are not, not matter what a person thinks.  To live full time you have to change your name.

Looks good from here hon, keep us posted.

Steph
  •  

Maud

That sounds rather silly to have to go through such a long proccess, I printed out a statutory declaration, sauntered off to a local solicitors and got it signed and didn't even get charged for it because it only took about 5 mins, the emotional effect of it was no less, I walked out grinning my face off almost coming to tears, what took a while was getting all my id's and bank accounts changed, I only recently got the last thing I need to use day to day changed over and I changed my name back in november :0.

anywho, congrats.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Maud on January 12, 2007, 08:04:06 AM
That sounds rather silly to have to go through such a long proccess, I printed out a statutory declaration, sauntered off to a local solicitors and got it signed and didn't even get charged for it because it only took about 5 mins, the emotional effect of it was no less, I walked out grinning my face off almost coming to tears, what took a while was getting all my id's and bank accounts changed, I only recently got the last thing I need to use day to day changed over and I changed my name back in november :0.
Maybe it's to help even out how long it takes to go through NHS over there. ;)  For me though, it really wasn't that hard.  I went to the courthouse, filled out some forms, submitted $91, and then came back 3 weeks later.  The judge just asked me a few questions and signed it and that was it.  Of course I did have  to go back a couple hours later and pick up a few copies of the document showing it was changed, but it was legally Melissa as soon as the judge signed the paper.

Melissa
  •  

Maud

Quote from: Melissa on January 12, 2007, 08:08:02 AM
Maybe it's to help even out how long it takes to go through NHS over there. ;)  For me though, it really wasn't that hard.  I went to the courthouse, filled out some forms, submitted $91, and then came back 3 weeks later.  The judge just asked me a few questions and signed it and that was it.  Of course I did have  to go back a couple hours later and pick up a few copies of the document showing it was changed, but it was legally Melissa as soon as the judge signed the paper.

Melissa

Lucky old me has the best of both worlds, the NHS is much much better up here in scotland, you can referr yourself to the GIC, they do a one year RLT and I was only on a waiting list for three months before I got my first appointment. In england I'd have to gain a referral from a therapist wait 8 months or so to see anyone (some places this is up to 6 years :0), do a 2 year RLT before any surgery is considered and then spend up to a year on surgery waiting lists, I've been FT for two and a half months now so I could be going in for free NHS surgery in as little as 18 months or so, to top that of my therapist is a woman and a lovely one at that, imo scotland is the best place in the world to be trans.

The NHS is variable but it's a very good thing it's here, anyone can still go private like they can in the US.

To get back OT I just finished off filling in my passport form, in about a month I should get my new F marked passport :), that along with sorting my driving license this morning marks the end of my bout with bureaucracy.
  •  

Melissa

See, that's the thing.  I have been fulltime for 6 months now and because of the surgeon I want to go to, I could get it immediately if I had the funds. ;D

Melissa
  •  

KarenLyn

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "CONGRATULATIONS!" Let us know exactly how it went.  New York seems to have more hoops to jump through than we do. I  went to the court house 3 times. Once to pick up the paperwork, once to drop it off and once to have the judge say "... name change approved for obvious reasons"  ;D
Being the contrary kind of person I am, I changed my name BEFORE going full time. It just felt right.

Karen Lyn
   :icon_female:
  •  

Elaine

Thank you everyone for your happy replies. Everything went as planned and I'm "officially" full time now (I agree, Stephanie).

I took so long to respond because that day, friday the 12th, a very very close family member passed away (far too soon). I will miss them very much, but life is starting to go on...
  •