Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

FDA Warns Five Firms To Stop Compounding Topical Anesthetic Creams

Started by Julie Marie, December 08, 2006, 03:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

"FDA is concerned about the serious public health risks related to compounded topical anesthetic creams. Exposure to high concentrations of local anesthetics, like those in compounded topical anesthetic creams, can cause grave reactions including seizures and irregular heartbeats. Two deaths have been connected to compounded topical anesthetic creams made by Triangle Compounding Pharmacy and University Pharmacy, two of the five pharmacies receiving warning letters. Similar topical anesthetic creams are compounded by the other firms, and today's action serves as a general warning to firms that produce standardized versions of these creams."

Link

It seems the FDA is cracking down on companies who mass distribute these compounds which are commonly used to lessen pain during laser hair removal and electrolysis.  My gut feeling is when used as prescribed by licensed electrologists they pose little risk.  But just thought I'd put this out there and you can decide for yourself.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Stormy Weather

Oooo... still have a few tubes of EMLA in the fridge for the occasional session on my face for strays. Had no idea at all that there were problems with this kind of preparation. I realise that the article is referring to compounding generics but still...

*gets down on knees to thank the goddess for EMLA, particularly for about 20 hours or so of genital electrolysis, ouch.*
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Stormy Weather on December 08, 2006, 03:20:41 PM
*gets down on knees to thank the goddess for EMLA, particularly for about 20 hours or so of genital electrolysis, ouch.*

Did you have to mention that?  I've still got that to look forward to!  :icon_nervious:

Julie
  •  

Stormy Weather

^Some surgeons demand it, some don't. I was very lucky to have the lovely and charming Sara Thomas do mine...because it was recommended by my surgeon. If anyone is reading this who lives near London, she is the absolute biz for this work.

Codeine-based meds taken 1 hour before the session with the EMLA seemed to do the trick. Not all areas are as sensitive as you might imagine but some are very sensitive, but not where you might think. Well, in my case anyway. But no worse than upper lip...
  •  

tinkerbell

I found four unused tubes of EMLA in my closet the other day.  For some reason, EMLA was never very effective in my case.  Yes, it did help a bit, but not much.  If it hadn't been for other stronger pain killers which my doctor prescribed, I really don't know what I'd have done.  As far as electrolysis in other places, well...I had to be injected with a local anesthetic, for the pain was just too much for me to bear.  I guess I was also horribly uncomfortable, considering the area which was being treated.   ::)

Boy, boy, boy, all the things we have to endure....

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Tinkerbell on December 08, 2006, 06:50:18 PM
Boy, boy, boy, all the things we have to endure....

tinkerbell

And if people only knew all we are willing to go through just to be happy they would probably be respecting us rather than rejecting us!

Julie
  •  

LostInTime

One of the deaths was in NC and the news had the story on non-stop for about a month.

I tried using EMLA, it made very little difference to me. 
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: LostInTime on December 12, 2006, 01:17:48 PM
One of the deaths was in NC and the news had the story on non-stop for about a month.

I tried using EMLA, it made very little difference to me. 

Last session I used Topicaine applied one hour before and then Zcaine right before she began.  She worked on the upper lip almost the entire hour.  I even TOLD her to start right under the nose and keep going until all the dark hairs were gone.  I think the combination of the two really made a difference.  But there were still those hairs where you feel like your ears are going to burst!

Oh, and I survived.

Julie
  •  

LostInTime

I will be able to continue my journey in about five years.  Until then i will have to try and remember that so I can give your combo a go.  :)
  •  

Cindi Jones

Other than two nova injections by a dentist for the first two times my upper lip was cleared.... I used nothing for pain.  I endured that needle for nearly 3 years.  It can be done.  It is painful but you learn to raise your tolerance for pain.  That helps for other events in life that are bound to happen.

Of course, if you can find something that is helpful, go for it!  One should not ignore the advances in modern chemicals.

I found that an ice pack right after treatments was very soothing.  It helped keep the swelling down as well.  It did nothing for the "red face" I would experience the next day.  Makeup was good for that ;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on December 13, 2006, 03:49:09 PMI found that an ice pack right after treatments was very soothing.  

Cindi

For some reason my brain first read "ice pick" and I thought you were about to crack a joke, "I found that an ice pick in the face made me forget about the pain from the needle."  :icon_invision:

Brain now back on track.......

Julie
  •  

Lisa CPE

Just thought that I would ask: Did you put a thick layer ( like a milk moustache) of EMLA cream on the skin and cover the cream with plastic?  It takes about an hour for the EMLA to reach the nerve endings.  Also, during treatments the electrologist should only remove the cream as the area is treated, otherwise it will dry out.

Some clients want to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the contents, so they will rub in a little dab of cream instead of applying a thick layer as the instructions advise.  It's really up to them.  It is their money that they spent buying the cream.  If it is not applied correctly they probably won't experience much relief from discomfort and the money will have been wasted.  
Posted on: December 16, 2006, 11:06:04 PM
Julie Marie,
Thank you for posting this information from the FDA.  I did have someone bring in such a cream last week.  I did not realize how dangerous the cream was since a doctor mixed the ingredients.  I thought everything was ok.  Now I am concerned about this practice.   :o  I don't want to have to call 911,  but I will definitely be on the lookout!
Lisa
  •