Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Must I go through gender therapy before starting T and getting Surgery?

Started by aidengabriel, October 13, 2010, 10:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidengabriel

Hey everyone! I joined this site because I really need some advice and answers, hope yall can help. I was told that prior to being able to take T and go forth with [top] surgery I must go through a year of gender therapy! [In NEW YORK] I live in Westchester County and this concerns me since Im not too sure I'm ready to face my parents. Can someone clearify this for me please? <3
  •  

Robert Scott

I think it is all in who you see .... some therapist go with an informed consent model ... which is what my son used and he was given T after a month of therapy.

I also know a plastic surgeon here who will do top surgery without a letter or anything.
  •  

Flan

informed consent notwithstanding, the SOC says 3 months therapy/RLE for either top surgery or T.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

aidengabriel

•  

long.897

Therapy is very useful, and can be especially important for FTM patients.  A man who starts HRT and realizes that it wasn't the right option after a few weeks or months won't really suffer any long term effects.  A woman who realizes that it was the wrong option though will experience changes almost immediately; increased body hair, deepened voice, hair loss on the head, and so forth.  The therapist can help to determine whether it's really the right option for you, and can help you to make the right choice. 
  •