Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Transgender Families on Oprah - Friday 10/12/2007 at 4:00 PM (PST)

Started by tinkerbell, October 11, 2007, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerbell

Transgender Families on Oprah - Friday 10/12/2007 at 4:00 PM (PST)

Transgender Families on Oprah

Check show times in your zone/state... :P

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Lori

"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

katia

•  

Sarah Louise

I have just watched the first half hour and it was handled very well, the second half is on now.  Oprah has shown programs on this before and has always been very open and helpful.

Sarah L.

Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

tinkerbell

It was a good show, kind of emotional at the end.  The only thing....while I was going through the channels, I pressed the INFO key for this show and.....

QuoteTransgender guests discuss the impact their lifestyle change had on their families

::) ::) ::)

Always something....

•  

Kate

I finally saw it, or at least the first couple anyway.

"Why not just be gay?" Oprah asks, yet AGAIN.  ::)

I kinda wish Oprah would give it up with her "TS" shows. You'd think she'd learn at SOME point to drop her gay angle thing. EVERY show seems to be a "Oh, so identity and orientation are different? REALLY?" shocking revelation for her. It's getting old, as she obviously doesn't believe it.

And this whole "decide to become a woman" suggestion is making me crazy. I think it's a HUGE point that's lost on the public AND many TSs debating a transition: no one is BECOMING a woman. The truth that must be accepted, and which then DRIVES a transition is that one IS a woman.

AND... although I admire the determination and honestly of the first guest, I really wish they'd portray someone... anyone... who transitioned *without* the whole crossdressing history and fascination with makeup, clothes and jewelry. "It started with wearing women's underwear, then went beyond that... WAY beyond that."

Well great, it doesn't play out that way with everyone, but it seems like it's the only trajectory that's ever portrayed. The pinnacle of my day or womanhood isn't "getting to put on makeup and make myself look pretty" as the guest said (paraphrasing), primping in front of her mirror.

It just seems like most portrayals are motivated by the morbid fascination of watching a relationship train wreck, with everyone seeming so shocked and disappointed when relationships stay together and friends, family and neighbors don't make a big deal of it all. How many more times, and in how many more demeaning ways could Oprah hound (accuse of lying) that poor wife of "you REALLY are OK with this? REALLY?"

~Kate~
  •  

Butterfly

One of the oldest myths is that transsexuals are "gays" that couldn't accept their homosexuality; therefore, "we switched our genders".  Very ignorant and demeaning way to judge us. 
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Kate on October 13, 2007, 09:40:00 AM
I finally saw it, or at least the first couple anyway.

"Why not just be gay?" Oprah asks, yet AGAIN.  ::)

I kinda wish Oprah would give it up with her "TS" shows. You'd think she'd learn at SOME point to drop her gay angle thing. EVERY show seems to be a "Oh, so identity and orientation are different? REALLY?" shocking revelation for her. It's getting old, as she obviously doesn't believe it.

And this whole "decide to become a woman" suggestion is making me crazy. I think it's a HUGE point that's lost on the public AND many TSs debating a transition: no one is BECOMING a woman. The truth that must be accepted, and which then DRIVES a transition is that one IS a woman.

AND... although I admire the determination and honestly of the first guest, I really wish they'd portray someone... anyone... who transitioned *without* the whole crossdressing history and fascination with makeup, clothes and jewelry. "It started with wearing women's underwear, then went beyond that... WAY beyond that."

Well great, it doesn't play out that way with everyone, but it seems like it's the only trajectory that's ever portrayed. The pinnacle of my day or womanhood isn't "getting to put on makeup and make myself look pretty" as the guest said (paraphrasing), primping in front of her mirror.

It just seems like most portrayals are motivated by the morbid fascination of watching a relationship train wreck, with everyone seeming so shocked and disappointed when relationships stay together and friends, family and neighbors don't make a big deal of it all. How many more times, and in how many more demeaning ways could Oprah hound (accuse of lying) that poor wife of "you REALLY are OK with this? REALLY?"

~Kate~

LOL  :D ;D  you sound like me!  >:D I know what you mean.  Well, sometimes I wonder if the producers set up the questions for her (they have to).  I mean,  Oprah represents the general public that basically has NO clue about the differences between gender identity and sexual orientation.  It does get annoying sometimes (I know), but hey, after a while, you get used to their stupidity and all you do is to laugh at their ignorance.

•  

Lori

They did get the air pretty clear on Gender is between the ears and sex is between the legs. The first lady..Denise was it?? sounded so rehearsed....it consisted of shocked dialogue from Oprah, and the typical cliche's from her guest. I wanted to choke and vomit but I just got some really cute new shoes and my fingers were drying.

I'm with Butterfly and Kate on this one. Even if I was gay it has nothing to do with being transsexual. They need to change that name and get "sex" out of it. Transual sounds good but like a car part or something :P

"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

JosieChun

If anyone missed this and would like to see it, I've uploaded this episode here:

4shared: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

- or -

mediashare: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

(The parts on each server are identical. So, for example, you can download parts 1 & 3 from one server and part 2 from the other and it'll still work.)

I had to split it into three parts due to limitations by the free servers, so you'll need a program like 7zip (free) or similar to rejoin them... be sure to save all three parts in the same location, use 7zip (or whatever) to open the first file (.001), and then extract it and 7zip will stitch all three parts back together. 

If you have difficulty playing the Xvid-encoded AVI, you may need to update your system's media player, or just install a compatible one (such as the free VLC Media Player).

Happy viewing,
Josie
  •  

Natasha

i miss kate & tink.  those two "selfish traitors" who should have stayed to pay their "debt' to the trans ghetto  :laugh:  talk about post-op good bye, eh?
  •