Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A place to just put down my thoughts/plan

Started by Aidan_, November 07, 2010, 08:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aidan_

Eh, I just figured I'd put down what I'd like to do and see if anyone thinks I'm out of my mind, kay?

Okie, so I'm a genetic male. I've spent the short 21 years of my life as a male, going through with mild problems here and there. I remember from an early age feeling like I was supposed to grow up as female, however I did not and that was quite a drag. Nevertheless! We press on, of course. I haven't been a terribly masculine guy, I'm relatively weak, not aggressive, not competitive, not territorial, very yielding, and quite nice. However, I live in an area where gender roles are terribly static (I'm in the gulf coast of Mississippi) and the slightest bit of feminine behavior in a male triggers many to call you gay. Being called gay wouldn't bother me that badly but the next thing they'd do is start threats, followed by actual violence. I know rednecks around here that would seriously hurt or kill homosexuals. My father included.

On to what I'm doing about it. I identify currently as Androgyne. I cannot dress female, or even use my feminine voice (which dare I say is pretty good) in public. So my hopes of transitioning are null until I move away. However, testosterone still ravages my mind and body, driving me crazy with this insatiable sex drive, competitiveness, jealousy, and overall irritable feelings. I'm seeing a therapist and he does work rarely with Transgendered folk, but is not an expert. He's on the fence about sending me to get HRT, and it's a bit maddening. What kind of HRT do I seek? a simple program of Spiro (minimial amount) + a low dose of Estradiol (mainly for bone health). I'll remain on this program for as long as 4-5 years before going on the next step. This will slowly feminize me, VERY slowly. Slow enough to not set off warning lights from my dad, but fast enough for me.

In a year, I'll be going to a university for 2 or 3 years, then I'll get a job as a man, amass funds and build a parachute for myself. After a year or so of that...I'd go full-time and get a different job. After 5 years or so of mild HRT, I expect I will be able to pass easily, especially at my age (Starting HRT at 21 yields good results, no?).

I just get really anxious because I can't tell if I'm wasting my time with my therapist or if he'll cave in on the next visit. I'm also really scared that I won't successfully transition....Though like Janet Lynn says, fear is my motivation. I don't want to waste my life as the wrong gender, after all.

Thanks for reading, just wanted to put thoughts down somewhere. >_>
  •  

ativan

Quote from: Aidan_ on November 07, 2010, 08:43:56 PM
I remember from an early age feeling like I was supposed to grow up as female, however I did not and that was quite a drag. Nevertheless! We press on, of course. I haven't been a terribly masculine guy, I'm relatively weak, not aggressive, not competitive, not territorial, very yielding, and quite nice.

However, testosterone still ravages my mind and body, driving me crazy with this insatiable sex drive, competitiveness, jealousy, and overall irritable feelings.

I just get really anxious because I can't tell if I'm wasting my time with my therapist or if he'll cave in on the next visit. I'm also really scared that I won't successfully transition....Though like Janet Lynn says, fear is my motivation. I don't want to waste my life as the wrong gender, after all.
For me, it wasn't until I was out of High School that I finally didn't have to put up with all the comments on how 'girlie' & 'queer' I was. I wasn't all that much of a fem, but I wasn't all that much of a boy either. I was way later than a lot of the guys when it came to puberty, maybe that was some of it. The rest was the feeling of being female a lot of the time, I suppose.

But the thing that really threw my life out of sync was the testosterone. Sex, competitiveness and way more than irritable. It all threw me into a way bad state of mind that by the time I was 21, I was dangerous. I even grew another inch or so high! I was way more muscular from working and playing hard, learned that if you get in the first punch you probably won, and could drink with the best. I didn't have any friends left from school, and my new friends were as bad as me. Fast cars, drugs, guns and a Harley. I guess from what I know, is that I finally snapped one day and just walked away. Its a couple of fuzzy yrs there, lots of disjointed memories. I talk to my therapist now about them sometimes, but they can get me into a PTSD induced panic/anxiety attack if I go to far. I rarely even try to remember, I suppose because I can't, haha.

So, anyways.....I wish I had a therapist back then and could admit to myself that there was a feminine side of me that was stronger than the male in me. I did end up in school again back then and went on to be quite successful for yrs. Until it all caught up with me again. Now I'm on the last leg to getting low dose hormones, pretty much the same as you want. I wish that option would have been available back then, 30 some yrs ago.

Janet Lynn is right, let that fear be your motivation. Don't let it move you in the wrong direction.
  •  

spacial

Aidan.

I think your plan is admirable, viable and sensible.

Too often we blunder through life without thinking things through, just to reach some goal. I've always considered that very silly.

I made my first serious plan when I was 14. Most of it didn't work out to be frank, mainly because of my inexperience and immaturity. For example, I planned to leave school, get a job in an office then get an apartment.

Yours however, seems to have flexability, is not overly specific and is based upon sound expectation.

I do appreciate the problems you are having with your therapist. But you may find another when you get to college.

Best of luck
  •