Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Fear of pregnancy

Started by Daniel006, April 07, 2014, 01:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel006

After 2 years on T, my libido has finally kicked in.  I have been with my boyfriend for over 8 years, and only over the past few weeks have we started having intimate encounters, but nothing that involves his bodily fluids mixing with or nether regions getting near mine.  I have an extreme fear of pregnancy and no desire for children ever, and he absolutely respects this.

If everything goes as planned, I will hopefully be getting the internal parts removed in about two months, but I don't know if I can wait that long plus the 6 weeks healing time before taking the next step with him.  I know that even on testosterone, although unlikely, I can potentially get pregnant.  Reducing chances further, he has hypogonadism and is likely shooting blanks anyway, but he does not know for sure.

My question is, in addition to condoms, are there any forms of birth control or methods I can use to reduce the risk of pregnancy further, if I am not able to wait until after my hysto?  I don't want to do anything that I will regret in the future.

I also want opinions of risk of pregnancy for a trans guy on T, a cis guy with hypogonadism, and condoms used correctly.

•  

ZombieDog

•A diaphragm.  It is a small dome that is inserted into the vagina and prevents sperm from accessing the cervix.
•Spermicidal lubricant is an option.  Presuming your condoms do not already have it applied to them.

Obviously birth control pills aren't an option because of hormones and stuff and an implantable device like an IUD wouldn't make sense since you're having surgery in two months.

I'm not a doctor or reproductive healthcare expert.  But perfect use of condoms has a 98% rate of effect.  Normal use of condoms have a rate of 82%(because this takes into account people that put them on backwards and otherwise use them incorrectly.)   T affects your ability to ovulate and can even make you permanently sterile.

Using two barrier methods(diaphragm and condom) as well as spermicidal lubricant decreases your chances of pregnancy by a huge margin, without even taking into consideration your T use or his hypogonadism.  So the success rate of the diaphragm at 88%, condom at 82%, and spermicidal lubricant at 72% adds up to pretty decent odds for you.

But ultimately the choice to take the risk is up to you.

I got my failure rates from the CDC at this link:  http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/unintendedpregnancy/contraception.htm
  •  

Ayden

Spermicide creams and gels will also reduce the risk if you are worried. I never used it personally but I know many uterus owners who have in the past.
  •  

blink

Don't know if you guys would consider it worth the cost/trouble since it's supposed to be moot in a couple of months, but your boyfriend could also get some labwork done (sperm count, motility test, etc.) just to see what you're dealing with there. It wouldn't replace birth control, and even if he was virtually "shooting blanks" it'd be smart to take extra precautions, but it might ease the worry a bit if you turn out to be right about that.
Good luck with your surgery.
  •  

AdamMLP

Quote from: ZombieDog on April 07, 2014, 01:54:15 AM
•A diaphragm.  It is a small dome that is inserted into the vagina and prevents sperm from accessing the cervix.
•Spermicidal lubricant is an option.  Presuming your condoms do not already have it applied to them.

Obviously birth control pills aren't an option because of hormones and stuff and an implantable device like an IUD wouldn't make sense since you're having surgery in two months.

I'm not a doctor or reproductive healthcare expert.  But perfect use of condoms has a 98% rate of effect.  Normal use of condoms have a rate of 82%(because this takes into account people that put them on backwards and otherwise use them incorrectly.)   T affects your ability to ovulate and can even make you permanently sterile.

Using two barrier methods(diaphragm and condom) as well as spermicidal lubricant decreases your chances of pregnancy by a huge margin, without even taking into consideration your T use or his hypogonadism.  So the success rate of the diaphragm at 88%, condom at 82%, and spermicidal lubricant at 72% adds up to pretty decent odds for you.

But ultimately the choice to take the risk is up to you.

I got my failure rates from the CDC at this link:  http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/unintendedpregnancy/contraception.htm

Using those figures (and assuming that my calculations are correct) you've got a 99.39% reliability when using all three methods (normal condom use). If you used the condom perfectly, which in theory we're more likely to do than the general population as we've got much more reason not to, it would end up being 99.93% reliable.

If you missed out the diagram, probably the most difficult for us to stomach (I don't know what your levels of comfort are) it drops to 96.64% - 99.76%, which is still a pretty reasonable level.

Of course there's then T and hypogonadism to factor in, but I don't know of any published figures for them. Still being a couple with testes and a uterus there's always going to be some degree of risk, but if you're careful and use protection as it should be used, then I see no real reason not to have a bit of fun ;)
  •  

Ryan55

I use to use spermicide condoms and birth control, I also have pcos so getting knocked up was very little with the protective measures taken, if your using condoms and birth control, your most likely not going to get pregnant, protection and smart sex can go a long way lol it's not 100 percent bullet proof but it's like 99 percent.

Edit: if you do feel like you could be pregnant cause of a broken condom or something, you can always take plan b, to ease your mind, it won't hurt body, even if your not pregnant (just don't take it every time you have sex lol) although I don't know how it will mix with T, so I would talk to a doctor first about it and birth control while being on T

•  

Daniel006

Thanks for the responses.  They give me a lot more to think about and more options.  I appreciate it.

•