Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Best way to organize music in windows?

Started by Hurtfulsplash, December 09, 2010, 12:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurtfulsplash

What's the best way to organize your music folder in windows explorer, by artist or genre? I run into problems both ways; by artist, all the folders are put on top and the separate files aren't alphabetized. By genre, it's hard to browse alphabetically. :/
  •  

Flan

windows 7's (user) music folder has an "arrange by..." feature, i believe vista has the same feature
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

tekla

The best way to organize anything in Windows is to dump the machine and get an Apple. iTunes lets me sort my music by artist, by genre, by title, and gives me one other option that I use to sort by Live/Dead(studio) all within the itunes window itself.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Eve of chaos

Quote from: tekla on December 09, 2010, 12:11:21 AM
The best way to organize anything in Windows is to dump the machine and get an Apple. iTunes lets me sort my music by artist, by genre, by title, and gives me one other option that I use to sort by Live/Dead(studio) all within the itunes window itself.

but you can use Itunes on a windows OS. so its really the same.

Quote from: Hurtfulsplash on December 09, 2010, 12:02:53 AM
What's the best way to organize your music folder in windows explorer, by artist or genre? I run into problems both ways; by artist, all the folders are put on top and the separate files aren't alphabetized. By genre, it's hard to browse alphabetically. :/

im pretty sure you can right click the blank space in between the files and choose how to arrange the icons by

tekla

Then I'd get iTunes for Windows, even as iccky as that sounds.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Renate

Me? I put all the stuff in an MS SQL Server database.
I generate 20 different indexes as HTML pages.
This is the only way I know to keep the over 1000 guitar transcriptions that I wrote correlated with my audio recordings.
  •  

Hurtfulsplash

Yes you can right click and arrange files but that doesn't work for what I'm looking for. I decided to put them in folders labeled a-z, plus some miscellaneous folders. The other ways would be to duplicate the files and put them in a separate a-z, genre, ect... arrangements. Yes, there are programs that do this and I use some of them, but I wanted to deal with the files themselves before the software for backup purposes or whatever.
  •