Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Top Surgery Options & Prices?

Started by xAndrewx, November 19, 2010, 04:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee11

I honestly haven't been overly impressed by a lot of results I have seen so far. Usually one out of five surgeries look decent.
A lot of female bodybuilders have better chests.
A pretty 'out there' opinion but these are my thoughts.....
I am a writer for several bodybuilding/ fitness and doctors websites and diet/supplement consultant.
I am also a personal assistant to a, Registered Dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator.

Through my work and experience I want to be able to help the transgender community
  •  

myles

I had mine done by Brownstein and was/am happy with my results.  While he is definitely not the cheapest I decided I was only going to have this done once and wanted to have it done right. I have heard he does have a BMI limit but I am not sure if that is true or not. He mostly does DI.
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Wolf Man

Myles: Might I ask how much you ended up paying in terms of actual surgery cost and other relative fees (i.e. anesthesia, surgery room, etc.)? Thank you. A PM would be fine if you're not comfortable disclosing on the forum.
I'll be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way, If I can be strong
I know every mile, Will be worth my while

When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong
  •  

Gizmo

I had top done with Dr. Fischer in Maryland, it cost $7300 total. Between seeing her overall results and the staff's bedside manner, she's worth the price. I had a friend drive me up there and back, which helped with travel costs.
  •  

myles

Brownstein- $5350 with $500 due as a deposit, he does not take anything but cash.
Surgery center- and Anesthesia- $2610.00, they take credit cards
Pathology- $200
My wifes company has an office in SF meaning she could work part of the time and we were able to get her corporate rate at a great hotel.
More than willing to answer any questions you have.
Good Luck
Myles
  •  

sneakersjay

Quote from: myles on December 28, 2010, 09:23:24 PM
Brownstein- $5350 with $500 due as a deposit, he does not take anything but cash.
Surgery center- and Anesthesia- $2610.00, they take credit cards
Pathology- $200
My wifes company has an office in SF meaning she could work part of the time and we were able to get her corporate rate at a great hotel.
More than willing to answer any questions you have.
Good Luck
Myles

Brownstein used to take bank checks. Does he not do that any more?  I brought bank checks for him and the surgery center, but that was in 2008.

Jay

•  

myles

He takes cash, and cashiers checks (which are basically cash) but no credit cards. Atleast that is what he told me.
Myles
  •  

sneakersjay

Quote from: myles on December 29, 2010, 08:54:15 PM
He takes cash, and cashiers checks (which are basically cash) but no credit cards. Atleast that is what he told me.
Myles

Bank checks are basically cashier's checks then.

What was nervewracking was Dr. Miro's team in Belgrade actually wanting cash, but now they do have pre-pay options via bank transfer.  Traveling with all that cash made me very nervous!  More nervous about airports and pat-downs and finding it leading to questions.

Jay

•  

myles

I couldn't imagine taking that much cash with  me, good to know he now takes cashiers checks.
Thanks for the info.
Myles
  •  

regan

Quote from: sneakersjay on December 30, 2010, 07:34:52 AM
What was nervewracking was Dr. Miro's team in Belgrade actually wanting cash, but now they do have pre-pay options via bank transfer.  Traveling with all that cash made me very nervous!  More nervous about airports and pat-downs and finding it leading to questions.

If anyone runs into that in the future, I would think an "official" (on letterhead) letter confirming dates and amounts would suffice.  As long as there is a paper trail, I think that would answer any questions the authorities might have.
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

wheat thins are delicious

I would not opt for the cheaper surgeon over the more experienced surgeon, you may end up paying more in the long run.   Think of it if you go to a cheaper less experienced in FTM top surgeries type surgeon you have a far greater risk of needing one or a few revisions which could actually drive overall price of your surgery up.  Plus this is a big commitment and you will live with the results of this surgery for the rest of your life.  Why not take the little extra time to save the amount for the more experienced surgeon. 

•  

xAndrewx

Wow, I had forgotten about this thread. Andy you are right, experience plays an important part too. It's just everyone has to start somewhere. Even Dr. Garamone had to start somewhere. My doctor who started me on T is a family practice doctor who had never had a trans patient before and I've had no problems so far.

So really, although experience is important and I do want to see some results I'm not as afraid of having a surgeon who has less experience as long as I'm sure they know what they are doing. At the time I was asking this I was told my mom might pay my surgery costs also if I could find something reasonable. I probably will however end up going with Dr. Garamone in the end unless I move from where I'm currently at.

You are right, everyone did have to start somewhere.  I guess a big fear I have is getting horrible scarring as a result of inexperience (though I know that is not always going to happen and some surgeons though inexperienced will do fine) though if I was confident in a surgeon even though inexperienced I would probably go to them if the price was right, but at the moment I'm working on saving up to see Garramone, though it will probably be two or more years. 

•  

rexgsd

I am really considering dr. Peter Raphael in texas. his normal rate is 6,000, but i got a free consultation and he said i'd need double-incision, and i could do it for 5,400. oh, and his method looks great. he also does this thing where no drains are needed and it's safe =)
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

how'd you get a free consult if you don't mind my asking?  Is that why you could do it for about 5400? 

•  

rexgsd

I went to a transgender/crossdress/gay etc. event this past weekend and there were speakers, and this doctor was one of them. he showed lots of his surgery results, then had free consultations after. and the surgery is cheaper because I attended the event  i believe (called First Event btw)
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

Robert Scott

Dr Tholen in Minneapolis costs under $5000 and he requires no letter.  Minnesota does have a network of Tholen folks who will help you after the surgery.  We also have a shot clinic that will give you your shots if you are unable to do them yourself.

Last May I attended the transgender health conference and they had a "viewing" where different guys stood up and showed their results as well as the doctors gave a presentation with photos of their work.  They all seem to do good work - just a matter of comfort with the doctor and such.

I got a consultation with Metzler in Arizona -- loved his work and I loved his personality and view on things.  He has no problem preforming surgery on ftm who aren't on hormones as well as andro folks.
  •  

emil

everyone on transbucket seems to have paid around $8000 with Dr. Tholen :/
  •  

LordKAT

Prices change with the times. What were the surgery dates on transbucket? Is the price quoted by people Rob knows inclusive of aftercare and/or hospital costs? There are a number of variables to check out.
  •