Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I hate the term "transsexual"

Started by BloodLeopard, November 24, 2010, 04:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaitJ

I'm rather partial to 'Gynoid' and 'Changeling' lately - especially since SRS.
  •  

E

Quote from: CaitJ on November 26, 2010, 08:28:07 PM
I'm rather partial to 'Gynoid' and 'Changeling' lately - especially since SRS.
I assume you know "gynoid" means "female android", and "changeling" means "monster left in place of a child kidnapped by the Fair Folk"?
  •  

Rosemary

Transsexual, transsexual, it is a definition, just a word. It is a label and labels are needed.
I do not mind the word when it is used as a definition, when it it sued to describe the condition.
I do hate it when people use it to describe the person.
  •  

MillieB

Quote from: E on November 26, 2010, 08:33:48 PM
and "changeling" means "monster left in place of a child kidnapped by the Fair Folk"?

That's it, I'm going with changeling! :laugh: :laugh:
  •  

V M

Like others have mentioned, the issue I have with the term is the word sex... As soon as the word sex is placed within a term, that is when all the other assumed implications start to que up

Also as others have mentioned, I don't really like using trans terms in general except when necessary
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: E on November 26, 2010, 08:33:48 PM
I assume you know "gynoid" means "female android", and "changeling" means "monster left in place of a child kidnapped by the Fair Folk"?

'Gynoid' means 'Having the form or shape of a female' (the reverse of andriod).
And I don't consider changelings to be monsters at all - I'm a massive Changeling: The Dreaming/Lost fan :)
  •  

Sarah B

I absolutely abhor the words transsexual, transitioned, transitioning, transwomen, transman and even transgender to a certain degree and any other labels that are used including cis, trans, gid and their variants.  Why you may ask?

As for for the word transsexual and its variants, to me they are derogatory terms. I did not change my sex. (yes I'm aware of my biological nature) because, I have always been a female.  When one has the knowledge of what is going on one has understanding.  When I found out about this term 35 years ago.  I hated it then and I still do.  My doctors and surgeon at the time used it.  However, I was naive at the time and did not correct them.

The words transitioned or transitioning, do not apply to me because I never transitioned period.  I just had surgery so that I could function as any normal female should.

Take the word transgender. I did not change my gender.  Again I have always been a female.  I have used this term only once in describing myself in over 22 years and that was in relation to my current doctor, so that any medical issues are treated in the context of my medical condition.

As for the other words, they are just labels that others are creating to use instead of the 'trans' what ever variant that seems to be the flavour of the moment.

I will not support anyone in the usage of these words in relation to me or others.  However, I will defend your right to use them.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1989 Living my life as Sarah.
Feb 1989 Legally changed my name.
Mar 1989 Started hormones.
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: Sarah B on November 28, 2010, 12:57:26 AM
I absolutely abhor the words transsexual, transitioned, transitioning, transwomen, transman and even transgender to a certain degree and any other labels that are used including cis, trans, gid and their variants.

I don't particularly like any of the trans terminology - as it was coined by cis people, not trans people.
However, having words like 'cis' helps level the playing field in the terminology department, as is places us on an even linguistic footing.
Of course, in theory, one no longer has GID after hormones, RLT and SRS, as they are the 'cure'. My gender identity fits like a latex glove now, rather than an oven mitt :)
  •  

kyril

I'm trans male, not trans masculine - it's my sex, not my gender, that's the problem.

That beign said, "transsexual" is an ugly word and I don't tend to use it.

•  

annette

I don't care about the words, we are different that's a fact and people do have to put a label on it.
when it's got a name you can make plans for care.
So what name it's given is not that important if the treatment is okay.
I agree that the name transsexual is a bit oldfashion but it certainly has something to do with sexuality.
women do have other parts than men and play anothere role in bed, isn't it?
But transsexuality is not a good name for your gender feelings.
I think the name of Tgirl has something nice, at least I call myself that way.

hugs
annette
  •  

Cindy Stephens

I actually have a problem with the fact that we seem to make such a big deal out of trying to be exclusionary with the choice of words.  I am transgender.  Nice and open ended.
I don't need to attempt to boost my ego by excluding anyone else on the gender spectrum through terminology.  Mostly because if you give them 10 years, they may very well be standing right where YOU are.  People, in general, have no concept of the differentiation between the various categories.  Why confuse them while throwing anyone who doesn't meet your standards under a bus? 
  •  

Lacey Lynne

Quote from: BloodLeopard on November 24, 2010, 04:35:03 AM
I hate it with a burning passion. I find it rude, derogatory, and just as bad as calling someone a hermaphrodite, faggot or >-bleeped-< or what have you.

I'm transgender, not a transsexual... there's nothing "sexual" about this. It's who I am and it doesn't get me off. So why is this word word used?

Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I the only anal person about this?

Hey, I'm sorry the term "transsexual" bothers you so much.  Of course, it's perfectly okay that you feel that way.  This is your opinion, and I certainly respect it. 

Actually, the term "transsexual" does not bother me personally.  This is what I consider myself to be.  Renee Richards (Dr. Richard Raskind), one of the most famous pioneering transwomen, also preferred to be called a "transsexual" rather than any type of "gender" person.

I'm not sure, but I believe Dr. Harry Benjamin himself coined the term transsexual.  If one proceeds to GRS/SRS, then I believe the good doctor was right.  One has "crossed the sexes" ... had male genitalia and now has female genitalia.  Makes sense to me.  Interestingly, Renee Richards' gender therapist was ... Dr. Harry Benjamin.

Go by which ever term YOU like and makes YOU feel comfortable.  That is as it should be, and I respect your right to do so.  Being considered a transsexual doesn't bother me personally.  Live and let live.  To each their own.  Variety is the spice of life.  I will call you transgendered if that is what you prefer.  No problem at all.  Glad to do it.

:)   Peace
Believe.  Persist.  Arrive.    :D

Julie Vu (Princess Joules) Rocks!  "Hi, Sunshine Sparkle Faces!" she says!
  •  

Sean

Quote from: Lacey Lynne on December 01, 2010, 07:02:27 PM
Hey, I'm sorry the term "transsexual" bothers you so much.  Of course, it's perfectly okay that you feel that way.  This is your opinion, and I certainly respect it. 

Actually, the term "transsexual" does not bother me personally.  This is what I consider myself to be.  Renee Richards (Dr. Richard Raskind), one of the most famous pioneering transwomen, also preferred to be called a "transsexual" rather than any type of "gender" person.

I'm not sure, but I believe Dr. Harry Benjamin himself coined the term transsexual.  If one proceeds to GRS/SRS, then I believe the good doctor was right.  One has "crossed the sexes" ... had male genitalia and now has female genitalia.  Makes sense to me.  Interestingly, Renee Richards' gender therapist was ... Dr. Harry Benjamin.

Go by what ever term YOU like and makes YOU feel comfortable.  That is as it should be, and I respect your right to do so.  Being considered a transsexual doesn't bother me personally. 

:)   Peace

I know this is a tangent, but Renee Richards isn't the role model I'd look up to. Yes, she was a pioneer and achieved landmark rights and attention. However, she also has flip-flopped publically about whether she regrets transitioning, has de-transitioned in the middle of stuff, and has suggested that young MTFS should live more life as men before medical treatment (particularly any surgery). Some of her life is inspirational and pioneering. Some of what she's said and written is up there with the most transphobic drivel you can find. It's annoying how much she is still trotted out as some sort of expert on medical transitioning, sports & transgender or intersexual athletes or GID in general.

Richards is one person whose willing to fight in court and be visible helped so many of us. But she's also profoundly complex as a trans community "hero" so the fact that she preferred to be called a transsexual doesn't really tell me much about ownership of that label.
In Soviet Russa, Zero Divides by You!
  •  

Aikotribs

I dislike the word because of my orientation, or actually, lack thereoff ,and I do not get why its not named trans-anatomy or trans-body or something :/ I got remarks like 'but you don't want sex, why would you need a sex change ?'  ugh. Its not just between your legs people D: !

sex reminds people of fetishes and the given act, instead of the fact 'male body /female body'.
  •  

Debra

Yeah it has a bad stigma to it too. I try to use transgender woman but sometimes people don't understand that for some reason lol ......yet they know what a transsexual is.....at least they think they do

•  

JamesRoe73

I also kind of dislike transexual, but don't really like transgender either :/ it feels to intrusive to me, but I also feel like a person who is just male, I'm not trying to deny that I am "trans" , but I would prefer saying I'm a guy who was born female, but not have a word for it, also many people don't understand what transgender or transexual means or they have a very skewed view of what it is. Saying I was born something, but I am something different is much more straight foreword that using a word that people have different definitions for.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: Jerica on December 02, 2010, 01:10:42 PMI try to use transgender woman but sometimes people don't understand that for some reason lol......yet they know what a transsexual is.....at least they think they do

That ambiguity is probably my favorite thing about the word "transgender."
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Eve of chaos

I don't like the word transsexual either, but i think that's just because i didn't really know what it was most of my life. as time goes on i can see myself using it more but right now i usually just hint at it or say transgender,

it works well now since I'm still in the very beginning and haven't made up my mind about a whole lot.

ValerieNelson

I personally have no problem with the term "Transsexual." When I went to the Pub for the first time I tried using the term "Transgendered," most people there didn't understand the term, however when I said, I'm a Transsexual Woman," then they snapped to it. 

I've also explained to many of the Pub goers that just because I'm open about being Trans, many of us are not. I am willing to answer their questions depending on how such questions are asked, however not all of us are willing to answer such questions period.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: ValerieNelson on December 03, 2010, 10:13:00 PM
I've also explained to many of the Pub goers that just because I'm open about being Trans, many of us are not. I am willing to answer their questions depending on how such questions are asked, however not all of us are willing to answer such questions period.

Thank you for doing that. :)
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •