Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Please Report this Facebook Page.

Started by Miniar, December 12, 2010, 05:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniar

Vala is possibly the most famous trans-person in Iceland.
She's a little over the top bubbly, but she's sweet.

This is a facebook page suggesting she participate in "Mister Iceland" instead of "Miss Iceland" and it contains transphobic speech, hate, and wildly inaccurate information.

If you have the time and care at all;
bottom left (below "links")
"report"
"Contains hate speech or attacks an individual"
"Targets based on gender or orientation"

Iceland only has 315.000 people total, lets drum the reports up a bit higher than the country alone is capable of.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Flan

Quote from: Miniar on December 12, 2010, 05:49:20 AM
If you have the time and care at all;
bottom left (below "links")
"report"
done :)
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Nero

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Julie Marie

Well, since I can't read a word of it I'm assuming the hate speech is still up.  So I reported it.  I hope the Facebook police don't call me in for interrogation and ask me what I read.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Mrs Erocse

I did question it and used the translator to read it. Though there wasn't a language that did any good to choose from. Still I trust that the staff here has only the best intrest of the community at heart. I don't doubt that it is what they suggested and did as requested. But it was not without question or thought.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Seven on December 12, 2010, 11:21:50 AM
I'm not going to mindlessly report something I can't read. For all I know this person is merely expressing his/her opinion on transsexual gender vs sex. Even if not, I'm against the concept of "hate speech" as being exempt from freedom.

Those things aside I think it's rather petty and low to request that people report something they can't understand. Disappointed in those who obeyed without question.

There's a translator on google.

Edit: Just looked at it again today and now the sites been wiped clean. Nothing there now but a few sentences about a get together.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vid-viljum-ValVolu-Grand-i-Herra-Island-2011/179896365370709?v=wall
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

tekla

Maybe they could return the favor and come in here and censor what they don't like about your posts.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

April Dawne

I looked at the page, but can't see anything on it as it looks like it's set to friends only or private. Since it's in a language I can't read I have no idea what the page says, and it's just not a big enough issue to me to go ahead and friend them and then look for the offending post and have it translated. So she was asked to join Mr Iceland instead of Ms Iceland... aren't there more important battles to be fought? She should just ignore the request and move on with her life. Picking fights with every person who says or does something "transphobic" isn't a solution. Spread knowledge and awareness in a non-confrontational and informative way. I think people throw the word "transphobic" around far too easily, and thus lose sight of the core problem... raising people's awareness and knowledge of the truth.

~*Don't wanna look without seeing*~

~*Don't wanna touch without feeling*~

•  

Nero

Quote from: April Dawne on December 12, 2010, 01:14:50 PM
I looked at the page, but can't see anything on it as it looks like it's set to friends only or private. Since it's in a language I can't read I have no idea what the page says, and it's just not a big enough issue to me to go ahead and friend them and then look for the offending post and have it translated. So she was asked to join Mr Iceland instead of Ms Iceland... aren't there more important battles to be fought? She should just ignore the request and move on with her life. Picking fights with every person who says or does something "transphobic" isn't a solution. Spread knowledge and awareness in a non-confrontational and informative way. I think people throw the word "transphobic" around far too easily, and thus lose sight of the core problem... raising people's awareness and knowledge of the truth.

That's what happened then. It's been set to private.

I don't see anything wrong with reporting hate speech which it indeed was.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: tekla on December 12, 2010, 01:10:58 PM
Maybe they could return the favor and come in here and censor what they don't like about your posts.

They can knock themselves out.
  •  

Miniar

I've been half asleep all day and would have taken the extra time to translate the content if I had been more "awake" I'm sure.
They've deleted all the "info" tab but what it used to contain (that I can recall) is consistent misgendering and the assertion that the post-transition woman had "the same amount of testosterone as other men". The small info box under her photo said "once a man, always a man" with a few exclamation marks for good measure.
The links (which also have been removed) contained much of the same; Consistent misgendering and one of them referred to her as an object, a thing, dehumanizing her.

The fans which have been the most boisterous supporters have made some utterly foul comments as well, this one being the worst of the lot; "í sameiningu þurfum við að eyða öllu sorpi og óþarfa viðbjóð af íslandi, Þetta "fyrirbæri" er búð að skemma fegurðarkeppni íslands fyrir mér"
Google Translate makes this of it; "together we need to clear the waste and unnecessary disgusted from Iceland, this "phenomenon" is a shop to spoil the beauty contest Iceland for me"
I'd translate it as such; together we need to remove all the trash and unneeded disgusting things from Iceland, this "freak" has ruined the Icelandic beauty contest for me"
"sorp" means trash or waste
"viðbjóður" means disgust, or more accurately "repulsive"
"fyrirbæri" refers to something that is unidentifiable, weird, or freaky
"eyða" means delete or blank out

I'm not asking as an admin, I'm asking as a human being.
I still see the page. It's a "page" not a profile and so it's not possible to set it as private.

I understand those that do not want to report it as they're unable to read it, I would be hesitant to do the same myself so there's no hard feelings what so ever.

Thanks for reading at least.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Nero

Yeah, there's something under the picture like 'even though vagina, has testosterone' or something like that. Most of it is gone now though.
  •