Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My biggest trigger...

Started by Just Kate, December 26, 2010, 09:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Kate

There isn't really a "Just for Us" spirituality section on this board so I figure this is the best place to post this.  This will be sensitive and I'd appreciate others using appropriate sensitivities when responding.

Up until about 8 months ago my GID was a constant problem.  I managed it fairly well, but I would have spells where it would go out of control and I'd fall into depression for a week or two.  I have a very clear understanding of how mine operates and what it takes to keep it at bay which is important considering the fact that I don't intend to transition.  8 months ago I decided to undertake an experiment and started taking estrogen again.  For reasons beyond my medical and psychological understanding, my GID subsided almost completely.  Even the low hum in the back of my brain constantly reminding me there was something wrong with my body and I wasn't supposed to be male was silent.  My wife and I were ecstatic - but I couldn't have possibly seen the implications.

With my GID dormant, I started to feel... normal.  I don't know how else to call it.  I didn't realize just how MUCH of my mental faculties were occupied with my GID all the time.  So much so the relief of such gave me incredible clarity and focus that I have just not had access to anymore.  Those of you who know me, know I love to analyze things.

So things were going well as far as my GID went, but another aspect of my life began to fall apart and that is what this thread is about.

Once my GID subsided I was able to focus on other things - specifically my church (as as many of you know, I am LDS/Mormon).  I felt like my new freedom would allow me to be more active at church because I wouldn't feel so much anxiety on being more fully invested in their activities.  But what I expected didn't happen. 

The more I went to church the more I saw and could feel how much I disdained the gender role separation.  Don't get me wrong - I've always disliked it, but I assumed most of my problem with it was related to my GID.  Now that the GID wasn't prominent, I realized the feelings I had about the gender role definitions were still there.  I turned my microscope away from my GID and toward my religion.

To finish up this already lengthy post, what I found in my study is that the church, my once solace in this world of confusion, my original anchor against a growing tide of depression brought on by GID, was acting as the single greatest trigger of my GID.

I have not been in 6 months.  I am not longer taking my estrogen, but my GID is barely audible.  My wife has noticed a difference - I seem more at ease.  It seems despite my attempts to bring into line all of my triggers, I left the largest one there to taunt me.

I don't know what this means - am I no longer a Mormon, do I no longer have a faith?  Those are questions I still have to answer, but I do know that going to church provokes my gender dysphoria in a very real, intense, and invasive way due to its doctrines and culture involving the separation of gender roles and the implication that I, being male, have to conform to the male stereotypes.

I wrote this to put it out there to people know and perhaps can offer comfort or guidance.  Many people have some very negative feelings about my church - I don't blame them, but I ask that this thread not be not the place for more LDS bashing.  This thread is about me discovering that what was once one of the great sources of strength in my life has turned out to be a hidden pillar of disease - something that was always keeping me sick and the implications of such a revelation. :(
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

MeghanAndrews

Two things I really admire about you are your level of introspection and the way that you are open about your experience, Interalia. Yes, people definitely have their own thoughts about LDS but you seem like you've really turned the microscope on your whole life, not just your religion. One thing I'm sure of is that as much as you might not feel like you have answers now, your whole adult life seems to have a consistent theme: searching. You seem to have been constantly searching for that thing that will put you at peace. Maybe this is another step in finding the answers you are looking for, church membership or not. I do hope you find your happiness and that you get to this fairly comfortable place for yourself :) Meghan
  •  

Just Kate

Thank you Meghan - I appreciate your uplifting comments.  I like to look past the surface and see what I really feel.  Up till not that introspection has been turned toward my biggest baddest demon, but since I have more personal mental resources free, its begun to look in other areas.

Oh, I want to mention too, that since my GID has gone into dormancy, I discovered a sincere passion of mine!  I LOVE making board games and I've been doing it a lot recently.  I've been able to channel a lot of energy into it lately.  To tell you the truth, if I could quit my job and make a living making board games, I'd totally do that!  Just one more perk of getting my life back, I got to focus on my passions. :)
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

lisagurl

The whole world works on faith, be it religion, governments, money, corporations, marriage, friends, etc. It is irrational but is working with many problems. Language seems to just add more confusion along with culture. Living is always going to be about trade offs.
  •  

AmySmiles

I'm glad to hear you are doing well Interalia.  I've been following you off and on since I joined this site and I'll echo Meghan's comments.  It makes me happy to hear that you have found your peace with GID - sometimes I wish I could, but I don't think I truly want to if that makes sense.  You've definitely given me an interesting perspective on triggers, but I feel my own situation is different since I have much stronger body/physical dysphoria than I do social dysphoria.

I'm glad you've shared your experiences and hope you will continue to do so.
  •  

CaitJ

I tried telling you all this some time ago. I'm glad that you've finally come to your senses.
I'll be interested to see what happens next with your GID now that you're away from the church.
FYI, I joined the army to crush my GID. Like your LDS experiences, it only exacerbated it. After I left the army, I was stable for three years, then the GID kicked in again with a vengeance.
  •  

Sandy

The reason that many of us have a relationship with religion is that we are on a spirit quest.  Perhaps more so than others who are not given this blessing-inside-a-curse.

Your need for spirituality really hasn't dimmed, it's just that you no longer find solace within the LDS.  I too have grown away from organized religion.  I still consider myself Anglican but I have not been to church on over a year.  In some respects, I miss the fellowship I had there.  I was completely accepted as myself and that was not an issue for me.  But I yearn for more direct communion with "out-there" than sitting through parables, bible study, and sermons.  At best it strikes me as more of a history lesson than a way to get in touch with my link to Goddess/God/That Which Passeth All Understanding.

However I can no longer find answers from dogmatic religion.  I feel I must pursue my spirituality by myself.  I have always been spiritual in nature, and I think many of us here are that way.  And so I have returned to self study on all manner of spirituality.

I tend toward the eastern methods, and while Zen Buddhism is not a religion, it does allow me a was to enter reflective introspection.

You asked if you no longer had faith because you felt you were no longer Mormon.  I don't really think that that is really a good question.  You may no longer find solace within the LDS, but that does not make you any less a spiritual being.  Nor does it diminish your faith.

You might ask yourself what are you looking for?  Are you looking for dogmatism?  That is perfectly alright if you are.  And there are quite a number to choose from.  You could take some time to investigate other organizations.  If you are looking for spiritual fulfillment there is also a number of ways you can go, though many are not dogmatic/formulaic and rely on self study.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Randi

Hi Interalia, I find it refreshing that someone else who searches for truth has also come to the conclusion that organized religion is oppressive to those who do not fit into the gender norms. Not knowing what LDS is I can't comment on that but am somewhat familiar with basic philosophy behind Mormonism.  I consider myself a Christian but also believe we can find truth in other ways of thought. I believe that if one is pure of heart and actively seeking truth one will find it-but it may not be what you were expecting to find. Having seen what I have seen I could never NOT believe in a higher power. I am convinced that I have been put in the position that I presently find myself for the serving of the ignorant and the blessing of the masses. I actively serve in my church knowing that they would not allow me to serve if they knew about me. I serve because it is my duty and I do it willingly and with great pleasure knowing I have the blessing of one greater than me.
Do I know everything? NO. But I do know this-it is my honor to serve others who do not know nor speak to the Creator of our universe. It is my worthy sacrifice and I do it willingly and happily knowing my efforts have not been in vain.

Do not loose your faith. Express it in your own way and don't worry with others for now. The search for truth is never ending.

Randi
  •  

justmeinoz

"am I no longer a Mormon, do I no longer have a faith? "

To me it sounds like you have faith, just not a religious affiliation at the moment.  Regardless of the wrapping , God knows what is in the package, and wants us to have a personal relationship, not a business transaction.  It's not a matter of trading good deeds for salvation, but living a compassionate caring life. 

Sounds to me like you have nothing to worry about with regards to your faith, just need to find somewhere to share yourself with other like minded people.

"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •