Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Well that sucks

Started by Rock_chick, December 17, 2010, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock_chick

today has been a mixed bag of highs and lows...a couple of girls were walking behind me and I'm convinced that they were talking about me, but as they were saying things like "well she's got really nice facial features and she's got nice hair" I'll take that as a win. Then the woman at the craft stall where I was buying my mum's christmas present told me I reminded her of her teenage son and I just didn't know how to correct her...and then finally i got an "Is that a man?" comment from to chavvy denizens of Southampton when I was at the station, i guess the only consolation I can take from that is it wasn't a definite. But Still it sucked  :(
  •  

Janet_Girl

I would take it all as a win.  The girls may or may not have been talking about you, but if they were.  Win. 

The lady at the craft store may have been referring to your purchase as something her son.  And your reply would be "Excuse Me???".  So win.

The last one viewed you as more androgynous.  Which may or may not be what you were going for.  So we can could that a Win.

All in all, it should be seen as a good thing.  don't let the little things set you on edge, Helena.  You're still a cutie.
  •  

Rock_chick

Yeah, very true Janet, with the benefit of hindsight none of them seem that bad but the "Is that a man?" comment felt like a real slap in the face at the time. As for the woman at the craft fayre for all I know her son may be somewhere on the same spectrum as me...and when she asked what my mum thought about my nail varnish it may have been a very subtle way of showing empathy without being really in your face. I just wish I could have quietly corrected her without making a huge fuss about things.

on the real plus side, the tobacconist where I get my cherry menthol blend baccy from hasn't sir'd me in the last 4 or 5 times I've been in and one of the female customers called me love when i apologised for being in the way. The not being sir'd thing is pretty significant...I've been going in there since pre-transition so he knows me as a regular.
  •  

V M

An unfortunate bi-product of transitioning is we become rather sensitive to other peoples comments and on any given day we may hear a mixed bag of comments from people

One comment will lift your spirits, the next may flatten you. As the HRT continues to work it's magic there will probably be less mixed and/or questionable comments

As Janet said you're a rather cute gal to begin with and I'm sure you'll continue to become lovelier with each day

I also see the day as a win for you  :)

*HUGS*
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

bearded

Wow, that sounds devastating. 

I'm not even sure what I would say to myself to help take the sting away :/

It's nice that there is a chance to at least talk about it.  Hope you have a better weekend.
  •  

spacial

I completely disagree with bearded and agree with Janet and Virginia.

It's natural to be a bit sensitive. But, like all things, we need to control it.

You're too pretty to be letting such things bother you
  •  

tekla

chavvy denizens

For what I know living on the Left Coast and all, CHAV comes (or is said to) from Community Housing Assisted Vermin or Council Housed And Violent - either way - and this is the point - that it's a term as derogatory to them as whatever they said to you.  Congratulations, you're just like they are.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

pixiegirl

Quote from: tekla on December 17, 2010, 03:45:08 PM
chavvy denizens

For what I know living on the Left Coast and all, CHAV comes (or is said to) from Community Housing Assisted Vermin or Council Housed And Violent - either way - and this is the point - that it's a term as derogatory to them as whatever they said to you.  Congratulations, you're just like they are.

cos, yknow, calling trailer trash trailer trash when they act like trailer trash is totally unreasonable. Fail.

*does the sarcasm dance*

•  

Rock_chick

Quote from: tekla on December 17, 2010, 03:45:08 PM
chavvy denizens

Actually, I'll think you'll find it comes from the Romany chavi which means child...either way the were uncouth and rude and the big difference between them and every one else that may have given me a second glance today was they were obnoxious enough to shout it out in a crowded station. There's the difference.

I'm really happy for you that you're such a shinning example of humanity that you've never judged anyone on their appearance or by how they act towards you. In fact I have a big box of codeine on my dressing table, i may just take the lot to numb the pain of never reaching your level of perfection.

•  

rejennyrated

Quote from: Helena on December 17, 2010, 04:19:15 PM
Actually, I'll think you'll find it comes from the Romany chavi which means child...either way the were uncouth and rude and the big difference between them and every one else that may have given me a second glance today was they were obnoxious enough to shout it out in a crowded station. There's the difference.

I'm really happy for you that you're such a shinning example of humanity that you've never judged anyone on their appearance or by how they act towards you. In fact I have a big box of codeine on my dressing table, i may just take the lot to numb the pain of never reaching your level of perfection.
High fives for an expert riposte :laugh:
  •  

tekla

What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander - either everyone has the right to say anything they want to anybody and everybody or nobody should ever use derogatory terms to any one else. 

Would that be a fuming incense stencher?  I mean is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Rock_chick

Quote from: tekla on December 17, 2010, 04:45:58 PM
Would that be a fuming incense stencher?  I mean is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

I really don't know what you're injecting, but could you save me some...that >-bleeped-< is craaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzy! man.
  •