Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Mastercard Commercial

Started by tinkerbell, January 02, 2007, 11:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindi Jones

Is this home grown or is it real? 

;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on January 03, 2007, 12:04:25 AM
Is this home grown or is it real? 

;)

Cindi

No idea.  If I had to guess, I'd say home grown!

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Hazumu

1.  It's well-produced and funny.

2.  It perpetuates in society stereotypes of the 'Jerry Springer' type.

There are other such video examples linked here where the TG visibly passes much better.

I'm torn---

Karen

UPDATE:  Here's the link to the uploaders' blog (in german.)

http://zoe-hh.transgender-blogs.com/

She's also uploaded another similar video that I think has already been posted here at Susans:

•  

BrandiOK

Personally I think it's terrible....as was mentioned before it's just another example of perpetuating stereotypes made popular by (I hate to even say his name) Jerry Springer and his partner in stereotyping, Maury Povich.

It's no different than the children on the playground making fun of the overweight kid or the child who stutters except the people making it should know better.  It's disgusting that adults still find humor in this kind of thing.  Part of being an adult is understanding that while there may be a part of us that wants to laugh when someone trips and falls in public there should be a much bigger part of us that is concerned not only that the person who fell is ok but how embarressed they probably feel for doing it in a public place. 

Somewhere along the line a good laugh at the expense of others has become more important than empathy and compassion in our society.  I'm sick to death of all the little one liners I see scattered through television and movies where announcing that some woman, TS or otherwise, used to be a man is used for comedic effect. 

While this "commercial" is most likely home made it is, sadly, reminiscent of todays marketing, advertising and entertainment mentalities.
  •  

Melissa

I didn't like how it implies that a TG person does it for "shock value" and as a prank on men.  It's completely degrading and nowdays most companies are going towards TG friendly policies and this is definitely something a major company like masterdard would not perpetuate.

Melissa
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Melissa on January 03, 2007, 10:00:09 AM
nowdays most companies are going towards TG friendly policies and this is definitely something a major company like masterdard would not perpetuate.

Melissa

I'm not sure.  Can anyone make a home video using any company name like mastercard and put it in the youtube website?  It doesn't sound right IMO.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Cindi Jones

Oh.... It's funny!  Can't we make a little fun of ourselves once in a while?  Lighten up! Enjoy life! Laugh a little (or a lot if you can)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Suzy

I just don't believe any company like MasterCard would want to irk the TG community.

It's almost as bad as what Geico is doing to cavemen.

Kristi
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on January 03, 2007, 06:38:54 PM
Oh.... It's funny!  Can't we make a little fun of ourselves once in a while?  Lighten up! Enjoy life! Laugh a little (or a lot if you can)

Cindi

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Normally I have always agreed with your views and comments Cindi, but this time I can't quite get my head around the purpose of the ad.  Yep normally I would smile, chuckle, laugh but the problem is that we are not the ones making fun of ourselves, it's an international corporation portraying us as, if nothing else, being deceitful, perpetuating the stereo types.

Just my thoughts :)

Steph
  •  

Cindi Jones

If it were an international company, I'd agree.  But this is likely fabricated by someone else... perhaps a crossdresser.  I still think it's funny ;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on January 03, 2007, 06:38:54 PM
Lighten up! Enjoy life! Laugh a little (or a lot if you can)
Hehe, I have to agree with this.  I kind of was away for a while and I was hanging out with a bunch of non-LGBT people for a while and having a grand old time and then I came back I there was a noticable amount of tension (understandably so) with the TG community compared to the what I was experiencing.  Anyhow, I think sometimes we do get a little too caught up in drama sometimes.  Now that being said, I dislike the message that was implied, and if not for the inaccuracies, it might have actually been funny.

Melissa
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on January 03, 2007, 07:11:15 PM
If it were an international company, I'd agree.  But this is likely fabricated by someone else... perhaps a crossdresser.  I still think it's funny ;)

Cindi

There is that I guess.  Damn cross-dressers :)

Steph
  •  

Cindi Jones

And as I was contemplating this last night, I realized that this thing pokes fun at Mastercard in a major way.  Now I understand better why I like it.  I love ridiculing the big businesses.  I'm not against business, mind you.  I just like to make fun of them..... for they so richly deserve it ;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Sophie

;D Oh, it's just a bit of fun isn't it?

I thought it was funny, but then again I've never been into the whole Political Correctness thing.
  •  

HelenW

I think this video perpetuates the fear that transsexuals are all just out to pervert their unsuspecting straight boyfriends and thus keeps the transphobia alive and well.  Shame on whoever made it.

I heartily disapprove.  >:(
helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •