Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Help with weight loss...

Started by Elsa, November 13, 2010, 10:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elsa

Hi, I really need to loose weight..  my weights currently at 87 kgs or approximately 190 pounds... height 5'8" , currently struggling to loose weight and in my 3rd week of HRT.. (mtf) I want to loose weight in a feminine manner but I have huge beer belly (as a result of depression, drinking and overeating)..

I have never felt better since starting HRT but now as I am struggling to loose weight I am considering stopping HRT as I could really use the faster metabolism... but I have already waited a long time before starting HRT and I really dont want to delay it...  :embarrassed: :'(

To make matters worse my parents are doing their best to keep me from succeeding .. fatty foods, sweets, you name it..  they have bought it despite all arguments & reasoning with them to stop...  ???  :o
and I cant come out to them because they are very conservative/religious and will not react well to it.... although they suspect I that I am transgendered since some of closest friends outed me to them (but they simply refused to believe them or me)

PLEASE HELP!! I have no idea what to do!  :'( :'( :'(
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.
  •  

Robert Scott

I just read an article that says weight lifting .. building muscle mass is the best way to loose weight ... to skip cardio if your lacking time and to do weights.  There are some at home stuff I have seen if you just google it .. I also have been losing weight.  I found if I drink a class of water before I eat I eat less. 

Have you told your parents you want to eat healthier?  They might become supportive.
  •  

kyril

Option a: stay on HRT and lift weights and eat less
Option b: go off HRT and do high-intensity interval training (modified cardio) and eat less

The eating less is going to be an important element regardless, but the weights are a necessary component if you have a female hormone balance because otherwise you'll be losing muscle far too fast and further reducing your metabolism. (They're not so good if you have a male hormone balance because you may bulk up more than you want to - hence the HIIT, which is the best calorie-burning/metabolism-boosting workout out there)

Oh, and stop drinking. Cut it down to 3-5 drinks a week if you can stick to that, because it is good for you - but if you find your drinking creeping back up to unhealthy levels that promote weight gain, you may need to quit entirely.

•  

Elsa

Have tried to tell and argue and reason with my parents and their reaction was like 'whatever' and then they just went out and bough/made the least healthiest food they could find/make...
:eusa_wall: :icon_shakefist: :icon_sadblinky:
So far have stopped drinking but occasionally do when out with friends/family/co-workers, which happens something between once a month to thrice a month...  :icon_ballbounce2:
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

•  

Shang

Is it possible for you to buy your own food for you to eat? 

If they insist on only eating unhealthy foods, try and eat the healthiest that they've bought and eat smaller portions (since you have to eat to live).  I'd really try and see if there's a way for you to buy your own food to make.

And then I second all of the above.
  •  

Elsa

looking for recipes online to try out... crossing my fingers and hopping I dont screw them up... :laugh:

•  

kyril

Ah - nothing wrong with drinking occasionally when you go out.

You can eat an unhealthy diet and not be overweight. You can even do so with female hormones. I am living proof of this. My diet is godawful. You just have to eat less of it, skip the absolute worst foods (usually desserts and drinks, which are unnecessary anyway) and work out more.

Trying to eat healthier is fine too, but I'd be cautious about trying to make too many lifestyle changes all at once. It's much harder.

•  

Adabelle

I have been using the "My Plate" calorie counter over at Livestrong and I must say that it's really helping me a lot. I'm 5'10" and started out at 215lbs, as of this morning I am 196.2lbs. The nice thing about their calorie counter is that once you enter some foods in it keeps your 'favorites' and it makes it really fast to enter again in the future.

I've noticed that if I track I lose weight. Even if I go over on my calories I still track them. There's some psychological effect on me I think because when I go over my target I tend to remember next time and am more likely to eat a little less. By entering things it it reinforces good habits for me somehow.

Anyway, I am a big believer in finding some kind of tool like this that works for you. For my mom it's Weight Watchers and their point system, for me this.

Oh and I'm so jealous of you being 5'8"!
  •  

Elsa

thanx guys ..   :) went out and bought a ton of fruits ... my mom made my favorite dish Vindaloo (or vindalu (Konkani) is a dish originally from Goa as well as
Mumbai/Bombay, India) took everyone's advice and ate less too... 

Quote from: Madelyn on November 13, 2010, 10:59:09 PM
I have been using the "My Plate" calorie counter over at Livestrong and I must say that it's really helping me a lot. I'm 5'10" and started out at 215lbs, as of this morning I am 196.2lbs. The nice thing about their calorie counter is that once you enter some foods in it keeps your 'favorites' and it makes it really fast to enter again in the future.

Cool... it even has Vidaloo listed ... >-bleeped-< 500 Cal!!!... good thing I ate less....   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Quote from: Madelyn on November 13, 2010, 10:59:09 PM
Oh and I'm so jealous of you being 5'8"!

thanx a ton dear! :laugh:

•  

niamh

"To make matters worse my parents are doing their best to keep me from succeeding .. fatty foods, sweets, you name it..  they have bought it despite all arguments & reasoning with them to stop...  ???  :o
and I cant come out to them because they are very conservative/religious and will not react well to it"

I don't see how the fact that you are trans has anything to do with you having a healthy diet. Your parents should realise you want it anyway. Also no one is forcing you to eat rubbish food. You have to have control of your own food choices.

You don't have to eat less to lose weight. In fact you can eat more. What you simply have to do however is cut out all the bad foods and replace them with healthy ones. Then you can eat as much as you want but still lose a hell of a lot of weight.

I started with being a vegetarian a couple of months ago then progressed to being vegan and now I am doing a raw trial. I have lost over 12kg (26lbs) in just these few months and believe me when I said I did hardly any exercise. I just walked about 2-3 hours a week. That's all.

Also, to lose weight around your waist area, a good tip is to do some light floor exercises twice a day that exeercise your stomach muscles. In a couple of weeks you'll see a big improvement.

At the very least you should cancel out all alcohol, meat, starchy and high-added-sugar products. Have porridge for breakfast. Have an apple and carrots as snacks and salads for lunch. Don't eat too much for dinner. This meal should be light. Read up on food, especially about 'empty calories' and make sure that you eliminate them from your diet. You can even eat healthy cake. There are some great raw cake and dessert recipes out there on the internet. They are so tasty and healthy you wouldn't believe it.

It's possible if you want it. You just have to cut out all the rubbish and stick to your decisions.
  •  

justmeinoz

Basically it comes down to which equation you choose-      calories out > calories in = weight loss ,  calories in > calories out = weight gain.

I have kept fairly constant weight for the last 30+ years by eating healthy  and  a moderate amount of exercise, mainly just walking and cycling. ( 6'3" and 190 lb.)  I try and avoid processed snacks and sweets, especially soft drinks, and prefer fruit or nuts if I fancy a nibble.  Once you get to the stage where healthy choices become a habit it is easier.

It will be interesting to see how HRT affects me.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

kyril

Eating better works. Eating less also works. If better isn't an option - and it's not, for many people - you're kind of stuck with less. Or you can go with a mixed approach  - add in some better foods, eat less of the unhealthy ones, and cut out the very worst.

It doesn't help very much to tell someone what they should/shouldn't be eating when they don't have access to that sort of diet, either because of cost, physical access, cultural expectations, or parental/spousal control of their diet. It's also important to be aware that a lot of people have trouble sticking to diets that are extremely different from what they're used to. Eating a healthy vegetarian diet (let alone vegan) is a lot of work, requires a lot of thought, and involves a lot of unfamiliar foods with tastes and textures that may take time to adjust to (or just plain be intolerable for some of us).

Insisting that a perfectly healthy meat-, alcohol-, and sugar-free diet is the minimal necessary starting point for weight loss just gives people an excuse not to try other strategies if, for whatever reason, that diet won't work for them. The truth is there are a ton of ways to lose weight, and not all of them involve dietary perfection.

•  

justmeinoz

Too true Kyril, even a simple thing like choosing grilled fish over fried can be a start.  Once you start to look around there are all sorts of small changes that can make a big difference.

Vibes, I am guessing your family are Indian so maybe you can look in the grocers for things that will help, and help your whole family as well.  If you can take them with you it's half the battle.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

niamh

Well, she wants to lose weight. I was just giving her what worked for me. If people really care about being healthier they should be willing to make drastic changes. Of course, I wouldn't advise starting straight into raw. That would be silly. But it is easy to make one change every week that would be benefical and over time all the positive changes would start to accumulate and lead to a better diet and as a result, a better standard of life. So no, I do not believe that my advice was without use. She can take it or leave it. Doesn't make a difference to me.
  •  

tekla

If people really care about being healthier they should be willing to make drastic changes.

QFT - it's like the people who tell me that they want to lose weight and so they did a 'work out' and I'm thinking, 'gee, don't you have to do that everyday in some way, over a period of time for it to really work?'  Any long term drastic change will take a lot of time and effort to accomplish.  You most likely need to change the kind of food, the portions of the food and the amount of output (exercise).  Changing the portions of the food is the easiest, changing the food itself takes some time, as switching overnight from an unhealthy diet to a healthy one will pretty much make you sick.  Exercise, both the formal (workouts of some sort) as well as the informal (don't ride when you can walk, don't take elevators when you can run up the stairs, taking walks instead of watching TV or other sedentary activity) is a huge lifestyle change that really takes a bit of time to really move from one into the other.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Samantha1

for what it's worth, I've lost 40 pounds on a diet/exericise plan of
at least 1000+ calorie burn on the excercise machines every day
and eating reasonably, but as much as I want twice a day - it's been
a steady 5-6 pounds per month, and I'm not go around starving
  •