Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Gender & the Brain: A New View

Started by Shana A, January 14, 2011, 08:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Gender & the Brain: A New View

A new attack on the theory of a "hardwired" difference, in the brain, between men and women.

http://www.onpointradio.org/2011/01/gender-brain-new

The best-seller list told us women were from Venus, men from Mars. MRI scans said, we were told, the genders are different in their very brains. And people have acted on that. The single-sex education push, just for one.

Now psychologist and author Cordelia Fine says "no."

"No," to the assertion of fundamental difference. Look again at the evidence, she says. Society, she says, still builds the difference in men and women.

We speak with Cordelia Fine about her new book, "Delusions of Gender."
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Catherine

Yes so everything is down to nurture is it.... I thought we had moved on from the quacks spouting such rubbish..
  •  

VanOcc

•  

Shana A

I read this book last month, truly excellent!

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

spacial

Quote from: Zythyra on January 14, 2011, 10:52:15 AM
I read this book last month, truly excellent!

Z

Can you give us a short review. Especially any new evidence?

I will be especially interested in any evidence she has to suggest that the effects of testosterone and estorgen are insignificant in comparison to social pressures.

I have to say I'm scepticle with such far reaching assertons when the researcher has an overtly political agenda.
  •