News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My Son

Started by honeybe150463, January 20, 2011, 04:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

honeybe150463

Hi
I have just joined this group after many years of trying to understand my partner and assisting in the change. I have come across an issue and can't get passed it.
Our son, who is 10, does not understand why Daddy does not want to be his Daddy and just wants the other Lady to go away. He hears us argue some of the time, especially when I get lonely due to my partners dressing and going out. Our son gets so upset at the thought of losing his Dad, I do not know what to do or say to make things better for him.
Does anyone have any help for me, Iam getting more frustrated with my partner as I feel he/she is not helping with our son and I feel as though Iam carrying everything.
How has others coped with this and how did they help their children through it?
  •  

Sarah B

Hi Honeybe150463

Welcome to Susan's I'm sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty with your son and partner.

There are Significant Others and partners here who hopefully will be along soon and will be able to answer your question/s in more detail.  Especially how you can explain to your son on the changes that are occurring in your life.

You will have to sit down and explain to your son in terms that he can understand what is happening and that his 'daddy' stills loves him very much.  Some couples survive the upheaval and some do not. 

It's important that you talk about it, talk to people when you're down, who know what is going on, even if it's just a message here on Susan's.

Rest assured you are not alone and people here are more than willing to help you.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1989 Living my life as Sarah.
Feb 1989 Legally changed my name.
Mar 1989 Started hormones.
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •  

rejennyrated

Hi

Any separation is going to be difficult for a child to understand. I can remember going through similar trauma's when my father died, and I couldn't understand why my father had left me. Unfortunately at that sort of age many of us still have the illusion that the world revolves around our needs and it is difficult to understand that our parents are people too with needs and problems of their own.

For me, for many years afterwards I suffered from fear of abandonment so the first thing is to make sure that he understands that he is still loved and wanted.

I think there are several other things that you can do to help him, although I warn you that not all of them are easy, and indeed not all of them may be possible to do.

The first may be difficult for you, but it is to make sure that he understands that even if you don't fully understand why your partner is doing this that you support his/her right to do it, if it is really what he/she wants to do. Children are very perceptive and they will pick up your feelings. If you son gets the impression, even rightly, that you don't support what is happening then that will make it worse for him, because he will have to deal not only with his sense of loss, but also with the idea that half of him - the half that came from daddy, is inherently bad! Somehow, even though it may break your heart, you have to convince him that you can understand, at least to some extent, why his daddy might feel as he does, and that although it is difficult to understand, it is not a rejection of you and him.

This brings us to the second thing which is to find an area in life where your son longs for something, and something else which he already has but which you know he REALLY values. Then ask him to imagine what it would be like if he had to choose between the thing he has that he really loves, and the the thing that he longs for but does not have. Then explain that that is what daddy is going through. He is torn between two things that he really wants.

Thirdly I think you can explain to your son, that your partner will always be his daddy, even if he/she eventually looks a little different. Perhaps try to explain it in terms of re-decorating a room - it is still the same room even if it looks a bit different. His father will always be his father.

Finally and perhaps most importantly if you really want to help him, you can ask yourself whether there is any way that the two of you can stay together. Strangely enough there are many many partners who do stay together you know. You probably hear of more who split, but those who manage to make the adjustment often discover deep aspects of their love that they never expected.

Ah - yes but I am not a lesbian you may say. So ask yourself this - yes sex is a part of a relationship - but just how much of it? Did you just get married just to have a sex life? Was it just a thing of lust? Or were there shared values and shared interests? Were you not good friends before you were lover? And does not the personality that you were attracted to largely remain the same irrespective of the downstairs plumbing arrangements?

I had to ask myself this when after years of assuming that I would settle with a man life eventually produced a woman partner for me. I concluded that a true marriage was about far more than what goes on between the sheets, and so even if our initial physical contacts were a bit hesitant and unsure, the rest of the relationship was far more important.

Eventually the physical did come along, but our relationship rests on the friendship and not the physicality, and so can yours too IF you really love your partner. You wouldn't divorce him just because he became disabled would you? So how is this different?

Yes I know there is an issue of whether you were told at the outset or not, but the problem is that someone can only tell you about a problem if they have accepted that they have it, and most people like this have it so repressed that often they aren't even fully aware of what it means, so they CANT tell. Likewise someone destined for a wheelchair can hardly warn their partner that in six years time they will have a crippling accident. But in the one case the partner bravely stand by her incapacitated lover, and in the other she concludes that the relationship is over, even though they maybe more of the old person left than there would be if he was suddenly in a wheelchair.

I don't want this to seem like I am trying to be unsympathetic, because I am not. This is a shock for you. So these are just my thoughts and they may not resonate - in which case please just ignore them, but I hope I may at least have started you thinking.

Oh and just so you can understand where I am coming from, I am a postop Mtf who originally transitioned in my childhood, has been postop for several decades, and who is also the life partner of another postop MtF. So in a real sense I am both of you. I have a trans history myself, and I am an SO.
  •  

Amazon D

Arguing in front of your child is not good for them. I don't know what else to tell you but your anger shared in front of them or put upon them by your feelings even when your ex is out never will do the child any good. Please think about the child and not yourself. You must deal with this more maturely or else your child will suffer. Putting tha stress on the child can be a form or abuse. I know your not liking what is happening and for you i feel your pain. I let both my sons mothers have complete control over our sons (one son by each mom) beause i didn't want to put this transitioning onto them and they felt it was bad for our sons but i knew it wasn't. I can only hope you think "child health" and know that im my case i never had my children with me. I was just the cash and sperm for them. Oh i had 2 hour (once a week ) visits up until 7 yrs old with one but then i was asked to not come around but still pay which i did. Please think child health pleaseeeee

I also respect you for trying to work it out but it seems you should have told your partner to go sooner because they seem to be getting what they want and your left to carry the bags. Your son will respect you for standing up for yourself. Your son will suffer as he sees you suffer and that isn't good. Time to get tough and stand up for yourself and the child and tell your partner you are not real partners because you are left out of all the help they got. Its time you get some for you. This doesn't mean you should put them down when sharing to your child but you should tell them your just not in love anymore with your partner who sounds like they only want for themselves and nothing for you. i hope i am not putting words in your mouth but that is how this seems to me because love does not allow one or the other to suffer in a relationship.

Then of course you could be twisting the truth but only you know that. There are always two sides to a story when two people are involved.

PS: You might want to share more of the agreement you made that allowed this to get this far and affect your son in this way because there are some couples who have worked it out and the child hasn't suffered but has found a renewed joy in both parents being happy and the children can deal with gender changes very well while usually its the non transitioning parent who puts the negative spin on the transitioning which then is abuse and causes the child mental abuse as that parent forces the child to suffer what they suffer many times due to their own doing for lack of standing up for their own needs!
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Melody Maia

I am on the other side of this fence. My son is 8. My wife decided to divorce, so I recently left home and am doing my best to keep in contact every day via videoconference and phone calls. I should also add that my wife and I are still very good friends it was as amicable a divorce as you can imagine.

I don't have a lot more to add than what has been said, but I would reiterate that it is of paramount importance that your SO tell your son that she will always love her and be her father no matter what she looks like on the outside. It is also true that you need to quit arguing or really discussing any adult arrangements when your son can hear. My wife was obsessive about this because she remembers to this day what it was like when her parents argued in front of her prior to their divorce.

Now, I have no idea how often your SO dresses and goes out and if it is an unreasonable amount, but clearly it is something she feels she needs to do and it is bothering you. This needs to be worked out. I didn't myself do a lot of this before I left, but my wife was generally supportive and eventually my son got curious and asked to see me dressed, so I did that for him. This might be a tough thing for you to swallow, but you will have to deal with that at some point too.

After all that, my son does still tell my wife that he wishes he had a daddy who dressed like a boy and was at home with them. However, I think that is only natural. It is an expression of a desire to be "normal." My therapist mentioned that difference, really ANY difference, is a source of embarrassment for kids at that age. All we can do is provide support and reassurance of love to help them get through it. That reassurance needs to come from BOTH of you.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

LordKAT

Let him know that 'dad' may look different on the outside but is the same person inside.
  •  

Jacquelyn

Hello HoneyBe-

First, welcome to Susan's.

Secondly, as the others have mentioned, and I am sure that you already know, your son ought to be the first priority. I am the SO of a MtF, we are not married, and we do not have any children. I can't really give you any advice on how to deal with your partners transition (if that is what he is seeking, in your posts I am not sure if he is actually MtF or just a crossdresser, is he seeking transition?) because I am still working through that myself. The only thing I can say is that it sounds as though you have a similar issue to me in terms of lack of communication. Is your partner seeing a therapist? Would there be any way for the two of you to seek therapy together? I find that mediation is somewhat helpful for my partner to bring him out of his shell.

Regardless, as many others have already said before me, you need to communicate your feelings to your partner. However, you need to try your best to keep from arguing in front of your son about this situation (fighting loudly in another room can be just as disturbing to a child, trust me). My parents were never married, but I recall my mother arguing with my stepfather, and my father with my stepmother. Most things that adults argue about (this especially) is not something that 9 year old ears need to be privy to. Is there any way for the two of you to compromise? How often does he need to go out? How often do you need him home? Work out a schedule.

There is not a single thing that we can tell you, or that you can relay to your son that will make any change 100% easy. I know that as a parent it has to hurt to see your child struggle to accept change, because really any change is typically difficult for children to accept, but you can make it seem less scary. One of the most difficult things I think a parent has to do is put on a smile and promise that everything is okay, even if they themselves are completely terrified and unsure. It is your job as parents to protect your son. Can you promise that he will never be scared or upset? No. But you can actively work to minimize those things.

I hope that we haven't scared you off, I know that getting a ton of responses can be a bit overwhelming, but it can also be comforting to know that there are people who are in similar situations who are willing to discuss them with you.

Keep your chin up, and I hope to see more from you.

Hugs,
Jacquelyn
"Love is in fact so unnatural a phenomenon that it can scarcely repeat itself, the soul being unable to become virgin again and not having energy enough to cast itself out again into the ocean of another."

~James Joyce
  •  

envie

Hello honeybe150463,

from what you stated i see here the root of them problem
Quote from: honeybe150463 on January 20, 2011, 04:47:11 AM
Our son, who is 10, does not understand why Daddy does not want to be his Daddy ....... Our son gets so upset at the thought of losing his Dad,
Kids don't care so much about the gender as they care about being abandoned. His daddy needs to work on his relationship with his son and re asure the son of daddy's love for him no matter what daddy looks like. This of course involves spending some time with his daddy and doing fun stuff.
Arguing in front of the kid is not helping but I see real need for the dad to step up and maintain regular quality time with his son. Kids don't just need to be told that they are being loved, action needs to follow the words. I guess adults to some extent too...
Good luck to you!
  •  

cynthialee

Everyone here has covered most of what should be already but I do have a few things to point out.

I am experianceing transition from both sides. My spouse and I married and we are both in transition years after we married.

The big things you need to take into account is that this is temporary.
Your husband, wife spouse is going through puberty right now. She is being a teen age girl. Most of us who transition later in life catch up rather rapidly. If you can tolerate it for awhile she will calm down. It just takes time for initial puberty to run its course. Basicaly you are married to a 13 year old girl in an adult mans body.

Secondly it seems your relationship is still in the air?
Are you capable of living in a bassicaly lesbian relationship? or  Are you ok living in a platonic best of friends relationship with her?
If you can not you need to start figuring out what you need to do about this. Living togather not living togather...you need to nail this down soon.

Your son is floating in the wind right now. You are sending mixed signals. You are visably (and rightfuly) upset. Your world has been turned on its end. Normaly I would counsil that the 2 of you take your time in figuring out the next step but the child changes things. You don't have the luxery of taking your time.

Staying is hard. It was very hard for me at the begining when my wife started taking testosterone. Even though I had been on estrogen and had legaly changed my name already, I still had issues with my wife masculinizing. (s/he is an androgyn <half male, half female in hir case> not male but it is the same barrel of issues)

Obviously I have stayed. We are both bisexual so things are working out. I find it exciting as the physical changes manifest and it is something we share that is very unique and special. But the bigest thing that sold me on my wife becomeing my hersband is watching a depressed shadow of a person become a vibrant and happy person. S/he has gone from a state of constant depression to alive.
Seeing hir become the person s/he is destined to be has made it worth it for me.

Perhaps you can find the joy in your spouses transition instead of focusing on the things you are loosing.

I wish you the best of outcomes for all parties involved and please keep us posted.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •