Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Fingerprinting?

Started by Arch, January 05, 2011, 07:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

I've just accepted a new job as a college tutor. I was informed that I would be fingerprinted. I've never been fingerprinted for a job before, so I'm wondering exactly what they are checking for--is this probably just a basic check for arrests and convictions?

It's probably silly, but I worry that my birth sex will come up. ::) I have changed my gender marker with the state and the feds, and I have never even been arrested. I figure that I'm okay, but I still have a small niggling doubt at the back of my mind. I really need this job.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Flan

probably just a background check thing (government loves to use it in place or with a FBI database check).
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Osiris

Some Universities require staff to be fingerprinted so they can be kept into the school's records. I doubt they can use it as a means to do background checks.
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत
  •  

Keroppi

Quote from: Osiris on January 05, 2011, 07:31:25 PM
Some Universities require staff to be fingerprinted so they can be kept into the school's records. I doubt they can use it as a means to do background checks.
They probably can and will be used to ran a check against criminal records. It will also be stored for future reference.

This has some information from a college in California. The information should apply similarly elsewhere in California.
  •  

Hermione01

As far as I know, any investigations to find past criminal convictions will also be a background check.  For the police to do a thorough job, they will need to know previous names that you have had, otherwise it wouldn't be a very satisfactory police check.  The fingerprints much match all the names given as being the one and same person. 
  •  

Arch

Sorry, Osiris, I forgot to mention that I have to pay $50 (nonrefundable) for the privilege. It seemed to me that if I'm paying for it, they must be checking into my background and not just keeping it on file.

I have no criminal record, and I can't imagine that the FBI would have a file on li'l' ol' me. I was thinking maybe it's a "hit/no hit" kind of deal.

Thanks for the link, Keroppi. It made me dig a little deeper at the new college. Originally, I only found a statement that temporary workers have to be fingerprinted; after I saw all of the info on that link you provided, I figured that there must be more information somewhere on my college's site. I found it. There's a statement indicating that if the fingerprinting turns up "a conviction history" that would prohibit them from hiring me, then I cannot be hired. That's all it says.

Hermione, I completely forgot that I ever had another name. But the prof who is hiring me will not be privy to that information--only HR. Unless somebody mouths off. Ugh, now I have a new thing to worry about.

I won't be quite relaxed till I successfully jump through these hoops. And I hope to god nobody looks me up on Rate My Professors because in the older reviews, most of the students refer to me as "she." One goes so far as to ASSURE any readers that I am INDEED female, a statement that I thought was terribly obnoxious.

Oh, well, I'll know one way or the other before the end of the month.

•  

ClaireA

I'd be interested in knowing how this works if you ARE in the FBI's database. I know my fingerprints are in the IAFIS database along with my male name, as it was required that I get those blue cards processed for my security clearance at work.

In the future when I change jobs and am transitioned, and lets say they have me do a set of blue cards, what result do they get? I've never been arrested, but since they have my prints on file...
21 22 and loving life! (yuk. i hate getting old!)

•  

regan

AFIK, if there's a match in the "system" it will come back with your demographic info and any criminal record - think of this in terms of a detective processing a set of unknown fingerprints.  If you're not in the system, then there is no record. 

Unless you've been fingerprinted in the past, with your old gender makers in place, I wouldn't worry about.
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

Keroppi

Quote from: ClaireA on January 15, 2011, 01:56:29 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how this works if you ARE in the FBI's database. I know my fingerprints are in the IAFIS database along with my male name, as it was required that I get those blue cards processed for my security clearance at work.

In the future when I change jobs and am transitioned, and lets say they have me do a set of blue cards, what result do they get? I've never been arrested, but since they have my prints on file...
If you have legally changed gender, can you make a request with the FBI to modify their database? Or ask a trans friendly judge to make an order for the FBI to do so.
  •  

regan

Speaking of fingerprints...

Fingerprint technique could reveal sex, race
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19876020/
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

tekla

I doubt they can use it as a means to do background checks.

I bet that's exactly what they are doing, particularly anything involving sex offenses.  The university (and any employer really) is liable for anything their employees do while on the job.  Since you ain't got squat, if I sued you for harassing me, I'd damn sure sue the school too as they do have money to cover it.  It's called 'deep pockets.'  But if you've never been arrested, in the military, or had a security clearance for military, state or economic jobs (like a bonded courier)  then you're prints are not in IAFIS (google it, very interesting information) and nothing will come up.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

ClaireA

Really? I always thought those blue cards were put into the IAFIS because they are processed by the FBI.
21 22 and loving life! (yuk. i hate getting old!)

•  

tekla

If you have legally changed gender, can you make a request with the FBI to modify their database? Or ask a trans friendly judge to make an order for the FBI to do so.

No
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

V M

I've held jobs that required finger printing as part of the hiring process... Didn't bother me
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Arch

Once I did some research, I became convinced that the background check won't be a problem. As far as I can remember, the only time I've ever been fingerprinted as an adult was for the DMV. I have never been arrested, I've never been in the military, and I've never worked for the federal government or obtained security clearances. I've been working for the state, but I've never been fingerprinted for that.

Let's hope the background check is quick. My appointment is on Tuesday, and my first day at work is the following Tuesday. If the background check is not completed by then, I can't start work. Damned bureaucracy.

Thanks for the input, folks.

•  

V M

Best wishes on your interview and new job  :)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •