Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Arrrgh How do i get rid of all the old tapes running through my mind

Started by SarahM777, January 24, 2011, 11:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SarahM777

I am just so frustrated this morning. Finally after getting to a point where i am feeling much better with myself and the direction i am headed. I am finding i am getting all of the same old garbage going through my mind. You are a freak, you're no good,etc etc. It's the same old thing over and over again. It seems if i have heard it once i have heard it 1,000 times before. I am so tired of hearing it time after time and i just want it to stop. I know some of  it is things that others have told me and some is things i have told myself.
I know if i start listening to this crap again i will end up going down the same path i have gone down before and it's not good. I need to start being able to get rid of these thoughts but i am not sure how to do it.
Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard.

Be positive in the fact that there is always one person in a worse situation then you.

The Fourth Doctor
  •  

LordKAT

I thought it helped to listen to uplifting music and learn the words so that I could sing those words to myself when they started up.
  •  

Janet_Girl

I found that having a positive mantra.  That could be a song, a slogan, anything up lifting.
  •  

SarahM777

Thank you,
I do love music so much. I know it does help quite a bit at times. But i do know i have to be careful of what i listen to. I was going through some things in my room and i realized that i had put my instruments away quite a while ago and was not able to play them for quite a while. Will have to get them restrung and start up again.
  Does it eventually get better with the old tapes? I think what i mean is do the times that they start coming up start fading a bit?
With the stuff running through my mind i know it's one of the things that is still a stumbling block with the smoking which has to be dealt with. The sooner the better as it would give my lungs more time to clear up. Way to many complications if i do keep smoking. So its time.

Be positive in the fact that there is always one person in a worse situation then you.

The Fourth Doctor
  •  

Adabelle

I've had the song, "don't worry be happy" playing in my song since I fear heard it playing over the loud speaker at the local strip mall in 1988. It's a kind of mantra I guess, I literally have found myself singing it every few days my whole life.

The thing is, come to think of it I'm pretty messed up, so maybe getting that song stuck in my head wasn't such a good thing after all. :) Maybe I should tell my therapist about this.
  •  

Janet_Girl

Mine is "I am Woman" by Helen Reddy.  When I am really down I play the heck out of it.
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: SarahM777 on January 24, 2011, 08:01:55 PM
Thank you,
I do love music so much. I know it does help quite a bit at times. But i do know i have to be careful of what i listen to. I was going through some things in my room and i realized that i had put my instruments away quite a while ago and was not able to play them for quite a while. Will have to get them restrung and start up again.
  Does it eventually get better with the old tapes? I think what i mean is do the times that they start coming up start fading a bit?
With the stuff running through my mind i know it's one of the things that is still a stumbling block with the smoking which has to be dealt with. The sooner the better as it would give my lungs more time to clear up. Way to many complications if i do keep smoking. So its time.

The old hurtful sayings that run through your head to lighten up and pass by the wayside. They may make an appearance now and again but once you learn that you can deal with them, they leave quicker and quicker and arrive less  and less, because you know what to sing or hum or do that sends them away. Soon they are just a bad memory.  You will be fine, just start with one song even if it is only an old nursery rhyme with lots of verses. You will basically using up all the mind space that the bad tapes are using so they can't be heard and then can't be played.
  •  

SarahM777

It is so nice to know that somewhere along the line that they can fade. At times it has just felt like they would come in like a tsunami. and that has been when it's really gotten to me.
Janet,
I do remember that song. I loved it. Haven't heard it in a long time.
I really like some of the earlier music by Heart.
My favs were These Dreams,Dog and Butterfly,and Dreamboat Annie. I know dating myself LOL
Right now i am into a bit more high energy music
The one genre i can not listen to at all is country. It is not good for me because all it does is depress me so i just stay away from it.
Thank you again it is so nice to know that there is hope  :)

The Fourth Doctor
  •