Main Menu

Continued Discrimination in ROTC

Started by Shana A, January 28, 2011, 09:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Continued Discrimination in ROTC
By Samuel Bakkila and Jia Hui Lee
Published: Friday, January 28, 2011

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/1/28/transgender-individuals-military-rotc/

The recent repeal of the U.S. military's Don't Ask Don't Tell (DADT) policy has paved the way for several universities, including Harvard, to reconsider recognizing the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program on their campuses. This decision is being considered because the military's policy on sexual orientation no longer conflicts with Harvard's non-discrimination policy.  However, supporters of welcoming back the ROTC overlook the fact that Harvard's non-discrimination policy also covers gender identity and sex.  Transgender and intersex individuals are still barred from military service and face hostile discrimination during and after their service despite the repeal of DADT. We believe that Harvard should not recognize ROTC until the U.S. military extends equal rights to transgender and intersex individuals.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

kyril

Sigh.

I bet Harvard's nondiscrimination policy includes age and disability as well. Right? (crickets from the trans advocates)

Obviously, as a trans veteran, I support trans inclusion and equal treatment in the military. I just don't think this line of attack is the right one. We accept, as a society, that the military can be allowed to discriminate based on factors that we wouldn't allow other institutions to use. (Leaving aside whether I personally agree with that, it's a fact that it's generally accepted.) If we believe that military discrimination against trans (or, historically, gay or black or female) people is not justified, we need to make an argument for why that particular characteristic isn't an acceptable rationale for military discrimination.

•  

Izumi

I am kind of torn on allowing TS to serve in the military, not so much torn on letting them, more like when to let them.  I dont feel a TS person in the middle of transition or who wishes to transition should be in THAT environment where others depend on them for their lives.  I think once they have completed the transition to the point where their documentation and such are amended and they have either had surgery or lived long enough in society to be comfortable with who they are and their gender role, then that would be a fine candidate to join the armed services.

•