Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Oh my gosh.

Started by brainiac, January 26, 2011, 10:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brainiac

So, I have always been very straight-laced, at least in terms of drugs and alcohol (okay, well, in everything). Until recently, the only drug I'd ever had was alcohol--and I've only even gotten very drunk once. I've also had chronic anxiety problems and am currently taking an SSRI to combat that, but that only helps a very small amount with my dysphoria. I identify as androgyne, but while my gender presentation varies, my identity is pretty solidly male, and I have according dysphoria about my body (and gender roles, but that's another issue).

To get to the point, I tried a very common drug recently, which I will not specifically describe due to the forum rules. The experience was, and has consistently been, eye-opening. Almost ALL of my body dysphoria disappears for a few hours. My body actually feels male (especially so when my eyes are closed), and I actually feel at home in it. It has also helped with my anxiety, although I do very rarely get irrationally anxious from it for a very short period. I can shrug off the constant nagging worries. And this is probably T.M.I., but lifting all of this off of my shoulders makes my sex drive skyrocket.

What I want to know is, has anyone else had this kind of experience with a substance, either illegal or legally prescribed? And have you had trouble with getting dependent on it? I am being careful and making sure that this is not my only "treatment" (I am taking medication for my anxiety as I mentioned, and I am seeing a gender therapist) and I don't want to do it often, but I can see the possibility of getting dependent on this to alleviate my dysphoria.
  •  

Yakshini

After indulging in a certain common illicit substance, I find that much of the anxiety and depression I have been suffering with through most of my life nearly completely disappears. Heck, there was a time a few years ago when I indulged in this substance very frequently, and my OCD went into complete remission for months after I quit. Granted, this certain substance is illegal, but I find it to be unfairly demonized. I am by no means a "stoner", but I have found that in some people, it has a therapeutic effect. I don't suggest everyone with anxiety and depression go out and start doing drugs, because for most people this particular drug can worsen depression and anxiety if used in excess.
  •