Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

is 248 pounds a fat girl?

Started by YellowDaisy, November 16, 2010, 03:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowDaisy

i'm 248 pounds, and 5'11. it's all fat. most people automatically say, "yeah, that's a really fat girl." especially those bmi tests and everything, they say that i'm morbidly obese, but if i was morbidly obese, it would be affecting my health really badly. i have fat in my thighs, in my stomach, in my upper arms, and in my back. lots of people automatically assume that i'm built like a sumo wrestler. it's so annoying...
  •  

Nicky

You can be fat, and healthy. Being morbidly obese means over time you are more likely to experience bad issues on account of your weight.

My wife was about that weight, but a little shorter. I thought she was lovely.

How do you feel about it, being overweight? It sounds like you are searching for a way to be able to say "I am ok", but it sounds like things are not all ok.

Hugs!

•  

YellowDaisy

Quote from: Nicky on November 16, 2010, 03:57:14 PM
You can be fat, and healthy. Being morbidly obese means over time you are more likely to experience bad issues on account of your weight.

My wife was about that weight, but a little shorter. I thought she was lovely.

How do you feel about it, being overweight? It sounds like you are searching for a way to be able to say "I am ok", but it sounds like things are not all ok.

Hugs!

well, i want to be happy with myself, but i was thinking last night and some of this morning that it doesn't make me "perfect." normally, i'm just fine with it, and i think i blend in with the majority of people. i feel like if i tried to lose weight, i'd just be doing it for the wrong reasons. i kind of prefer a more full figured look anyway.
  •  

Janet_Girl

Never let any one tell you how you should look.  If you are happy with your look then don't worry about it.  There are women who are very heavy.

If you wish to lose weight do it for you, and no one else.  You have to live in that temple that we call a body.
  •  

niamh

I agree with what the ladies above said.

If you are happy with you then all is well. Only change if you are unhappy and do it for yourself, no one else. And only you yourself know how happy or otherwise you are.
  •  

Nicky

Quote from: Maylene on November 16, 2010, 04:04:22 PM
well, i want to be happy with myself, but i was thinking last night and some of this morning that it doesn't make me "perfect." normally, i'm just fine with it, and i think i blend in with the majority of people. i feel like if i tried to lose weight, i'd just be doing it for the wrong reasons. i kind of prefer a more full figured look anyway.

Good reasoning, I think a healthy way to look at it. If you are going to lose weight do it for you.

Gosh I loved my exwifes size, she was lovely to cuddle. I just loved how it made me feel, protected and small in her arms and she looked great. She was always a beautiful woman.  I'm now 61 kilos and she was up around 120 at her heavyest (though lately she has lost a lot of weight, seperation does that, she looks smaller than when we first meet 10 years ago which is great for her). Her family are all big and tall though, our wedding photos are a little comical with both families together, it looks like a step.

So funny when I started going out with my girfriend, who is pretty much the same size as me, she felt soo little. I always exclaim in surpise "you are soo little!". What a contrast.
  •  

Bam

I am 5' 10" 240lbs,was a male bodybuilder and am now a female bodybuilder and love being a big lady. Who cares how you look if you are happy and comfortable in your own skin,tell them to look the other way,i do.
Good luck!!!
  •  

Crimbuki

Quote from: Maylene on November 16, 2010, 03:44:59 PM
i'm 248 pounds, and 5'11. it's all fat. most people automatically say, "yeah, that's a really fat girl." especially those bmi tests and everything, they say that i'm morbidly obese, but if i was morbidly obese, it would be affecting my health really badly. i have fat in my thighs, in my stomach, in my upper arms, and in my back. lots of people automatically assume that i'm built like a sumo wrestler. it's so annoying...
Didn't you answer your own question?

When people remark to something as "fat" it's usually in observation of a physical attribute with relation to something else.

I don't really consider it a derogatory term since it is somewhat vague and open to comparison. Is a person of above-average weight obese, is there health-related problems, are certain recreational functions inhibited due to mass... these are things only a doctor can tell you and only you can decide if a change is required.
  •  

Elsa

I agree with Bam, you need to be comfortable and love yourself as who you are and if you want to change something about yourself you need to do for yourself and not for anyone else and only if it makes you happy...
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.
  •  

rite_of_inversion

It's your body...what do you want to be able to do in it?

Being overweight increases the burden on your lungs and heart.  more blood and air needs to get pumped, but the lungs and heart are no bigger.  This is why you can often hear extreme-overweight people-like 200+ pounds above normal weight, breathing-lung and heart strain.
This means you'll get worn out easier.   It will also put you at risk for a plethora of diseases as you get older.

I have seen a lot of luscious ladies and big teddybear men-bigger than you, so you can be attractive at just about any size. I've no doubt you're a hottie, I just worry about your health.
  •  

YellowDaisy

Quote from: rite_of_inversion on November 20, 2010, 01:35:43 AM
It's your body...what do you want to be able to do in it?

Being overweight increases the burden on your lungs and heart.  more blood and air needs to get pumped, but the lungs and heart are no bigger.  This is why you can often hear extreme-overweight people-like 200+ pounds above normal weight, breathing-lung and heart strain.
This means you'll get worn out easier.   It will also put you at risk for a plethora of diseases as you get older.

I have seen a lot of luscious ladies and big teddybear men-bigger than you, so you can be attractive at just about any size. I've no doubt you're a hottie, I just worry about your health.

oh, well my health is fine. it's not like i'm getting heartattacks.
  •  

justmeinoz

I've always regarded weigt as a health issue.
Fat doesn't neccessarily mean unfit.  There are a lot of regular swimmers who could be called fat. 
If you can get through your day without feeling tired out from your own body weight and can run to catch the bus without collapsing afterwards you are probably doing ok. 
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Miniar

Weight to height ratio only tells the weight to height ratio.
It can not be 100% fat due to the fact that our bodies contain water, muscle, bone, various organs, etc, etc, etc, etc...
Weight doesn't tell you how much is x or y or z, just the total weight.

If you wanna know your fat %, then there's ways to measure that.. most health clubs and gyms have tools that allow you to do that.

Mind you, even if your % is high, that doesn't automatically mean you're "fat" or that you're unhealthy.
Many skinny models have a staggeringly high fat% in proportion to their bodies.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Cruelladeville

Personally I like to do sports well....

So carrying extra baggage not ma thang....

And I believe many Dr/Surgeons will not operate on you if you be overweight.....

Having a high BMI would worry me on the score of live long and prosper....
  •