Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Drivers License Gender Change Loophole?

Started by KylerG702, February 08, 2011, 09:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KylerG702

So I live in Kansas, and I'm getting my name changed, and I'd like to do my gender at the same time, but SRS is required to change anything here. But my father lives in Colorado. So my idea is go out to visit him and surrender my Kansas DL and get a Colorado one with my new name(I plan on moving there eventually anyways) and have my gender changed there because all that is required there is for a medical professional to sign off on a form that you're undergoing treatment and identify as male. Then when that DL comes through he can send it to me and I can use that to possibly help get my gender on social security changed.

As far as I'm aware from the research I've done, it's perfectly legal to have an out of state license. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am I guess maybe I could just use that ID with the correct gender and trade it back in for a Kansas license. So I guess my question is am I crazy or could this actually work? Feel free to poke holes in my idea, I was just thinking out loud I guess. It would be really nice if it was actually feasible. Then all I'd have to worry about is my birth certificate down the line when I can actually AFFORD surgery. OR until they change the ridiculous requirement of SRS to get things changed.
  •  

Pinkfluff

I think you're only supposed to have a license from one state at a time, but beyond that I'm not aware of any problems. I still have a MI one even though I've been in FL for years now for college, and just still here now until someone somewhere else will hire me. I've never had a problem having an out of state license, even when I had to get a new tag for my car after someone stole the old one. The county tag office didn't seem to care.

If your doctor is in Kansas though it might cause a snag if the Colorado office doesn't like an out of state doctor's note. I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not.
  •  

Logan1986

to be honest I can't really see a problem with it as long as you are in Colorado for a long enough time that it doesn't weird to get a license there
  •  

Logan1986

Although does the letter have to be from a medical professional that practices in the same state? might want to check that out
  •  

KylerG702

Yeah I just plan on telling them I just moved there and surrender my Kansas license so no more than one license. And I hope out of state isn't a big deal because I travel to chicago for treatment right now. Both my therapist and my doctor are there as they were the closest place I could find that operates on informed consent. But i'll definitely check.
  •  

KylerG702

So does anyone know if a corrected license will change social security without a court order? From what I've come across it sounds like it might but if anyone has experience either way let me know. Thanks :)
  •  

JessicaR

The gender change on your drivers' license may work until  the Kansas DMV uses your SS# to identify you. If they notice the discrepancy, the result may depend on how well you pass. It sucks but it's true.

Social Security, unfortunately, needs a letter confirming surgery for a gender change, regardless of what your drivers license states. A FTM friend told me that top surgery alone is sufficient.

FYI, though..... I went into my local DMV and simply stated that I received my license with the wrong sex marker. The counter person apologized for the "error" and changed it without documentation. If you pass well this is something that you might want to try. It's cheating, I know, but we do what we have to do, right ;-)

Also, I think that changing your name first and waiting a few months to try changing your gender on your license might work. It's just a suggestion but it worked for me :-)

•  

Robert Scott

I was born in Kansas .... and it recently changed it's laws....it states you only need to have had a physical or psychological change to the new gender...very simply..you just have to have your therapist or your doctor attest to it ...
  •  

JessicaR

Quote from: AaronTyler on February 08, 2011, 09:44:29 PM
So does anyone know if a corrected license will change social security without a court order? From what I've come across it sounds like it might but if anyone has experience either way let me know. Thanks :)

No :-(

Social Security is federal; Your drivers license is state regulated.

In order to change your gender with Social Security you need surgery. (at least orchiectomy for MTF, top surgery for FTM.)

•  

Sean

Most states require you to trade in your out of state license for an in-state one where you are a resident within 60 days of living there.

Many people are not dilligent about doing so.

It only becomes an issue if you get pulled over or in an accident or otherwise have something happen where you have to show your license & you will likely only be 'warned' to get the new in-state one. Note, though, that sometimes out of state people are required to pay tickets on the spot if they receive a traffic citation. I'm not sure if that is based on out of state car plates or licenses. I'd be careful about it.
In Soviet Russa, Zero Divides by You!
  •  

KylerG702

Ok thanks Jessica. It certainly wouldn't hurt to at least try going into the DMV and doing that. What have I got to lose right? That's pretty awesome that that worked for you. My luck, they'd see right through me and call me out. I'm a really bad liar though.  :P and on social security I read somewhere that you could get it changed by just checking your preferred gender on the application and hoping they process it through without noticing so I might just try that instead.

And Rob, is there a form or something that they can sign or do they just need a letter? and is that for just birth certificate or DL or both? That's awesome though. If you have a link to an article or anything with more info on that I'd really appreciate it. I haven't seen that anywhere. Thanks man. :)

And thanks Sean. If i go that route I guess I'd just get the Colorado license, then maybe trade it back in for a Kansas with the new gender if that'd work provided I can get social security done first. Still thinking it all out. I don't drive anymore though, since I live so close to my job and I prefer to bike everywhere and not pay for keeping up on a car. So I guess it  maybe wouldn't be a problem.
  •  

LordKAT

You don't fill out an application to change gender for Social security. They do check their records and require a letter from your doctor and that letter has to identify you in other ways such as having your date of birth on it.
  •  

JessicaR

Aaron,

I just saw your new avatar pic... You're obviously a dude!

Change your name first and get a new license with it.

2 months later, go to a different DMV branch, all pissed off because you got pulled over and the cop pointed out the "F." :-)

Good luck!

•  

iris1469

I am changing my name and have all the documents to do so,,,HOWEVER, until I go to court and am granted a name change and given a decree.....IN california, if you are in the process of transitioning, you take a form to your hormone DR and he/she fills it out, marks "transitioning" and  wala, you get the M, in my case ill get the F
  •