Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Coffee

Started by Princess Rachel, February 17, 2011, 02:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Rachel

I'm sure I have a strong coffee addiction, I don't need to have a cuppa but I do enjoy having one and I look forward to a nice cuppa at breaktimes, I've tried all sorts of teas and I can't abide any of them, I'd rather have water or fruit juice or do without anything to drink at all

•  

V M

I use to drink coffee nearly all day but now I just have some in the morning to get my day started... It would be difficult to get the day started without it and it has to be fresh ground French or Italian roast and I'll also have a glass of juice

Then around noon I'll have some herbal tea with lemon and honey and another glass of juice
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Michelle.

Which is worse. Two pots of coffee a day? Or, two bottle of gin?
  •  

Janet_Girl

I personally know Juan Valdez and his mule Paco, does that mean I drink way to much coffee?
  •  

tekla

I'm sure I have a strong coffee addiction, I don't need to have a cuppa

If you don't need it you don't have anything even approaching an addiction. 
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

JessicaH

New evidence that drinking coffee may reduce the risk of diabetes

A study provides new evidence that drinking coffee may help prevent type 2 diabetes.

Scientists are reporting new evidence that drinking coffee may help prevent diabetes and that caffeine may be the ingredient largely responsible for this effect. Their findings, among the first animal studies to demonstrate this apparent link, appear in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Fumihiko Horio and colleagues note that past studies have suggested that regular coffee drinking may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. The disease affects millions in the United States and is on the rise worldwide. However, little of that evidence comes from studies on lab animals used to do research that cannot be done in humans.

The scientists fed either water or coffee to a group of laboratory mice commonly used to study diabetes. Coffee consumption prevented the development of high-blood sugar and also improved insulin sensitivity in the mice, thereby reducing the risk of diabetes. Coffee also caused a cascade of other beneficial changes in the fatty liver and inflammatory adipocytokines related to a reduced diabetes risk. Additional lab studies showed that caffeine may be "one of the most effective anti-diabetic compounds in coffee," the scientists say.

More information: "Coffee and Caffeine Ameliorate Hyperglycemia, Fatty Liver, and Inflammatory Adipocytokine Expression in Spontaneously Diabetic KK-Ay Mice", Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Provided by American Chemical Society

"New evidence that drinking coffee may reduce the risk of diabetes." June 9th, 2010. http://www.physorg.com/news195300617.html
  •  

Miniar

First up; Here's the WebMD article on the health benefits of coffee.

We assume that becoming addicted to something is always, completely without exception, bad.
This lead to the assumption that coffee was bad for you.
It's only recently that we've actually buckled down and checked, and lo and behold, it's not that bad!
In fact, it's got some clear benefits!

Funny thing is that it only applies to proper coffee. The positive effect is lessened substantially if you drink decaf!

So....

As long as you aren't drinking coffee in excess and as long as you make sure to drink twice as much water as coffee (as it's a diuretic) then you're actually better off keeping your habit than loosing it.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Michelle.

•  

LordKAT

Quote from: Michelle. on February 18, 2011, 01:46:16 AM
What is "decaf?"

Coffee with most of the caffeine removed.
  •  

Michelle.

OMG... Kat I was so being sarcastic with that one. I guess the better question is, what is the purpose of decaf?

I find it tastes like dirt.
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: Michelle. on February 18, 2011, 05:39:54 PM
OMG... Kat I was so being sarcastic with that one. I guess the better question is, what is the purpose of decaf?

I find it tastes like dirt.

It was created due to the assumption that addiction = damages health, so in order to let people drink coffee without the supposed threat to health, decaf was invented.
Turns out... decaf just isn't all that good for you, while the addictive stuff is!

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

LordKAT

I know the physical addiction is real and stopping the caffeine is a very bad trip. Shakes puking, the whole ball of wax and it sucks. I found out the hard way on a trip in my ex in laws. They drink decaf, the 10 of us visiting were caffeine addicts. It took a while to figure out why we all got sick and the in laws were fine. We were all cured by a trip to eagle river and time in a restaurant drinking the real coffee.
  •  

Miniar

The physical addiction is very real, yes, but that doesn't mean that coffee is harmful to your health.

•  

annette

The first thing I'll do in the morning is making a cup of coffee, coffee is my wake up call.
Just to sit on the couch with coffee and thinking that life isn't that bad after all.
I'm not very friendly to the world when there is no coffee, does this make me  an addict?
apperently not but I'm not quite sure about it.

hugs
annette
  •  

Mrs Erocse

Yes. Coffee is great!  :D I would hate to live without it.  I don't like strong coffee though. My Mom loves a strong French Roast coffee.

Hazelnut & Creme Roast beans yum.

I would suggest I am addicted. 8)
  •  

V M

Dark roast = More flavor, less caffeine

Med. or light roast = More caffeine, less flavor
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

JessicaH

Ever tried chocolate covered coffee beans? Incredible!!!
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: StacyBeaumont on February 20, 2011, 08:29:56 AM
Ever tried chocolate covered coffee beans? Incredible!!!

I have...
And they're so awesome..
So very awesome!

•  

Mrs Erocse

Yes the coffee covered coffee beans are good.
  •  

V M

Now that's something I haven't had in awhile... Chocolate covered coffee beans

*Drools*

- V M
  •