Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Charcoal snob or propane?

Started by Tracey, January 31, 2011, 08:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rejennyrated

No offense meant to anyone but in our family we always maintain that barbequing is man cooking for men with man fire and man tools. In consequence Alison and I play no part in this activity, instead young Shaun, or failing Shaun, one of our many male friends, will officiate.

As to whether they use propane or charcoal, I would not dare interfere.  ;D
  •  

Rachael

In my imagination I see a fair world,
Everyone lives in peace and in honesty there.
I dream of souls that are always free,
Like the clouds that fly,
Full of humanity in the depths of the soul.
  •  

Tamaki

Quotebarbequing is man cooking for men with man fire and man tools

OMG your right! Now what am I going to do?  ;)
  •  

V M

Quote from: rejennyrated on February 06, 2011, 06:15:11 PM
barbequing is man cooking for men with man fire and man tools.
What? It's 2011 dear... I am woman, watch me cook while you drool and your stomach roars for more  :icon_chick:  :eusa_dance: :eusa_drool: :icon_dribble: :eusa_drool: :icon_dribble: :eusa_dance:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

BrandonJames

Im a Charcoal guy.  when i was a kid its what we used and If you use it right it cooks through perfectly. We had propane for the house and I had to fill them as a teenager, that stuff stinks to high heaven. Probibly why i dont want to cook with the stuff.
  •  

Joelene9

Charcoal from wood burned down in an open pit. Different woods, different flavors.
Joelene

•  

erocse

First of all, I have to take issue with Jenny. "barbequing is man cooking for men " That's kinda what my dad said when I told him I was Trans. He said with a big sad face, But I thought you liked to barbeque??"
"Yes dad I do because I just love to cook, didn't you notice at the family get-togethers I did the barbequing as well as all the other cooking, the bread the night before and even the pies for desert??"

A girl has got to be well versed in all types of cooking if she is going to please the company she keeps.

Now as for Charcoal on gas? There is no harm in being a "Bi-quer" or trans-a-que. First of all it depends on the season.  In the winter months I still like to grill, so gas is a no brainer. It is usually too cold and wet out to tend a fire.  All the other season I use a combination of wood and charcoal, but not those charcoal brickettes ( those are horrible).  But don't forget we are talking "Grilling" here. I think most people don't even know how to barbeque or even that barbeque is not the same as grilling. Because (and I am not being snobby here,) it is impossible to barbeque with charcoal or gas, alone. So as far as real barbequing, there is only one way, WOOD.

(Oh and Jenny, I was just kidding, you know I love you)

Hugs from  grill-mistress, Roxy
  •  

Medusa

electric  >:-)  just turn on, work instant and havent to worry about out of gas or charcoal  ::)

but wood make better taste
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •  

Joelene9

I do the wood thing up at the cabin. At home it is the briquettes in the old Weber, but with no lighter fluid.  I use fire-log starters, which are wood chips pressed in a wax. These comes in blocks that are soft and pliable. I tear off pieces of this and put them in the pile of briquettes, they light up easy. I then put another layer of briquettes on top, wait till they turn white. This puts a neutral, non-lighter fluid taste on the food, but adding your favorite wood chips (hickory, mesquite, etc.) soaked in water on the ready coals will give you the extra flavor.
Joelene
  •  

Janet_Girl

•