Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The "T" in LGBTQ

Started by Steph, January 19, 2007, 01:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you see trans issues as rightfully part of the LGBTQ?

Don't know
Yes with reservations - see my answer
No
No with resevations - see my answer
Don't know
No opinion

King Malachite

Yes for me because for me I feel that as a whole it incorporates people who are not cis gender heterosexuals so that whole group in my opinion is more slightly marginalized. 
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Shang

I put "no".  This is because sexual orientation (LGB+) is not the same as gender identity.  I think continuing to keep the groups together is going to make it far harder for people to grasp that gender identity  =/= sexual orientation.  While some trans people are also LGB+ doesn't mean that the T needs to be added on because their sexual orientation is not because of their gender identity. 

I just think that if the T community spoke out more and separated themselves a bit from the LGB+ community, then it would be easier for people to grasp that being trans has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation.  Until that happens, people will still see gender as being fully entwined with sexual orientation and not realize that there are needs that T people have that the LGB+ community does not have.
  •  

luna nyan

I feel as though it's an alliance of convenience.  However, at the end of the transgender community's aims are different to the LGB.

LGB is about who you want to be doing stuff to/with.
T is about who you want to be.
The common word between the two groups is sex, but the context of the word is completely different.  Sexual orientation and sexual identity are separate.  T being aligned with LGB just makes it a little easier for us to be heard, but often the message is distorted.  As both groups are somewhat marginalised, allying and campaigning with greater numbers sort of helps I guess.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: luna nyan on April 04, 2012, 10:37:31 PM
I feel as though it's an alliance of convenience.  However, at the end of the transgender community's aims are different to the LGB.

LGB is about who you want to be doing stuff to/with.
T is about who you want to be.
The common word between the two groups is sex, but the context of the word is completely different.  Sexual orientation and sexual identity are separate.  T being aligned with LGB just makes it a little easier for us to be heard, but often the message is distorted.  As both groups are somewhat marginalised, allying and campaigning with greater numbers sort of helps I guess.

This ^  I would hate to think of it as "riding the coattails" but the more support we get the better.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Felix

Quote from: Malachite on April 04, 2012, 10:54:16 PM
This ^  I would hate to think of it as "riding the coattails" but the more support we get the better.
No dishonor in riding coattails or doing what works. Shoulders of giants and all that.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

justmeinoz

As I also identify as a Lesbian as well as Transsexual I guess I have a foot in both camps.  I chose  "yes with reservations", as gender and sexuality are different issues, but are overridden by the practicalities of the local situation.

Tasmania only has a population of 500,000 , so we need to stick together in order to have a decent voice.  As a result of the numbers involved, everyone knows a fair percentage of the GLBTIQ community here anyway.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •