Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

japan earthquake

Started by Flan, March 11, 2011, 04:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

annette

I hope for the best for your sister Lynn.

hugs
annette
  •  

Shang

•  

marte

I'm praying for everyone affected by this disaster. I haven't managed to get in touch with anyone but one person from my family who lives in Sendai, and now with the threat of radioactive contamination in Fukushima things just get scarier and scarier :(
  •  

V M

The pictures of the damage look just as bad if not worse than a war zone

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: artur on March 13, 2011, 01:25:14 PM
I'm praying for everyone affected by this disaster. I haven't managed to get in touch with anyone but one person from my family who lives in Sendai, and now with the threat of radioactive contamination in Fukushima things just get scarier and scarier :(

Thinking of you.

Love
Cindy
  •  

tekla

What scares me is that mankind seems to be compounding already bad situations and making them worse.  I always feel for people in huge natural disasters because we all have that in common, we're all puny humans on this planet and there are some major forces running around it that create major havoc on us.  I have a particular feeling for people in earthquakes because that's living where I live and thinking about them a lot.  Sisters and brothers on the Ring of Fire. 

But the end story here might well end up like Katrina, where the natural problems were bad enough, but the real disaster, the even worse than a Cat4 hurricane, or a 8.9 earthquake and resulting tsunami was a man-made failure.  When you're pumping seawater into a reactor that's running away that thing is already way past toast.  Hopefully - as designed - the containment vessel will contain it, but that patch of land - off limits for hundreds of thousands of years now. Like TMI or Chernobyl.

If only there had been people at the time those power plants were built who might have said: Hey, bad enough building huge nuclear reactors in the first place*, but you really should not site them adjacent to major fault lines or on an active volcano.  Nah, all those voices were dismissed as a bunch of neo-Luddite, tree-huggin' hippie crap.  And it's not like they didn't know that the fault lines were right there, and they were just the perfect type to make tsunamis - in fact such things were so common that they invented a word for it. 

So love, strength & sympathy to the survivors of the quake and the tsunami.  For the power plants, a whole lot less.

* - it's the most major example of an area where economy of scale (building things bigger so they do more cheaper - like buying toilet paper at Costco by the case) does not work.  The bigger a nuclear reactor the more uncontrollable it is, the greater the risk of catastrophic failure.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Joelene9

Here's A couple of befores and afters satellite image sets using mouse sliders:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html
  The devastation was total in some areas, complete erasure in other areas.
  Joelene
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: tekla on March 13, 2011, 03:47:45 PM
What scares me is that mankind seems to be compounding already bad situations and making them worse.  I always feel for people in huge natural disasters because we all have that in common, we're all puny humans on this planet and there are some major forces running around it that create major havoc on us.  I have a particular feeling for people in earthquakes because that's living where I live and thinking about them a lot.  Sisters and brothers on the Ring of Fire. 

But the end story here might well end up like Katrina, where the natural problems were bad enough, but the real disaster, the even worse than a Cat4 hurricane, or a 8.9 earthquake and resulting tsunami was a man-made failure.  When you're pumping seawater into a reactor that's running away that thing is already way past toast.  Hopefully - as designed - the containment vessel will contain it, but that patch of land - off limits for hundreds of thousands of years now. Like TMI or Chernobyl.

If only there had been people at the time those power plants were built who might have said: Hey, bad enough building huge nuclear reactors in the first place*, but you really should not site them adjacent to major fault lines or on an active volcano.  Nah, all those voices were dismissed as a bunch of neo-Luddite, tree-huggin' hippie crap.  And it's not like they didn't know that the fault lines were right there, and they were just the perfect type to make tsunamis - in fact such things were so common that they invented a word for it. 

So love, strength & sympathy to the survivors of the quake and the tsunami.  For the power plants, a whole lot less.

* - it's the most major example of an area where economy of scale (building things bigger so they do more cheaper - like buying toilet paper at Costco by the case) does not work.  The bigger a nuclear reactor the more uncontrollable it is, the greater the risk of catastrophic failure.

So very true Tekla.  Everyone who stands up and says this isn't progress is cast as a fool.  There has been a campaign to build NR in Australia to supply power. The question most people ask is why? We don't need them. The answer is because we can, there safe, they will make the builders a big profit, and who cares what you plebs think anyway.

I'm just hoping that this plate readjustment is over and doesn't travel around the rest of the plate. I'm not sure if anyone had a clue about how bad the effect of a very big quake could be on a place that has the highest 'quake building codes anywhere.

I suppose like most people, in these massive disasters, you feel so helpless in how to help. And yet feel such concern for those poor people affected by the unstoppable.

Hugs Kat.

Cindy
  •  

Julie Marie

Getting off topic here but...

Taking this rare incident (a 9.0 quake followed by a massive tsunami and the subsequent power outages that led to the nuclear reactor problems) and trying to make a case against nuclear power is like saying we should outlaw GRS because there has been a few people who have regretted it.  We can't protect everyone from everything and still give everyone what they want.  While you're trashing the nukes, think about the pollution from fossil fuels, not to mention depletion.

Obviously solar and hydro are the better choices but we just can't feed the nation with what we can generate from those sources.  Today's nuke technology is better than ever and we don't have to worry fossil fuels, foreign oil or air pollution.  Yeah, radiation is scary but if you add up all the health problems from nuke plant radiation and compare it to the health problems created by fossil fuel plants, my guess is the former would be a drop in the ocean.

Japan's situation is horrific and the nuke plant crisis isn't helping things but using this highly unusual natural disaster to point out the problems with nuke plants is, like I said, just like taking that rare person who regretted having GRS and using that as prrof the procedure should be outlawed.

I suppose we could always go back to manpower alone to get things done but we'd have to then deal with the trash dumps filled with electrical appliances, power tools, computers, heating and cooling equipment....
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteObviously solar and hydro are the better choices

No it is not obvious and highly debatable. Those technologies have just as many problems and more. That is why the are not economically viable.
  •  

Cindy

:police:

Lets argue about pros and cons of nuclear power in a separate thread, and anyone feel free to start it; there is nothing wrong with the discussion but I think we should keep this one for people wanting to talk about the disaster and how it has affected them and their families and friends.

I think we are all in a bit of shock over this terrible catastrophe.  I know there are members who have not had contact with family and friends. Lets support them in this thread.
I realise I have posted  about nuclear power in this thread but I'd be happier for people to use it to reflect on the humanity aspect rather than  technology.

Thank You, and my heart felt wishes to those who have lost or cannot communicate with loved ones.

Cindy
:police:
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

marte

just adding that phones are working again as of yesterday in sendai, and i managed to get in touch with everybody :)) i wish i could be with them.
  •  

annette

Hi Artur

Thankfully, they survived the tsunami, I hope you're a bit reassured.

Lynn, did you have any contact with your sister?

And let us not forget about the 50 Japanese HERO's who are hard working in the nuclear area to try to prevent the world from a nuclear disaster.
I have so much respect for those people. They know they are getting a lot of radiation with all consequences but they keep on going, trying to safe what can be safed.

I hope for the best outcome.
hugs
annette
  •  

tekla

They know they are getting a lot of radiation dead.

They won't let anyone in the control room for more than ten minutes and it's shielded.  Those guys, and I think it's down to 15 now, are like the NYFD/NYPD/PAP on 9-11, props to them.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Renate

The thing that I have not seen commented upon at all is that less than half a mile away
there are two more reactors that have apparently been shut down safely.
The four reactors in the news just go from bad to worse.

Obviously, there will be an extensive analysis of the failure afterwards.

Having all the diesel generators swamped was clearly an enormous problem.
In the 8 hours of time left with battery support if the urgency of the situation
had been acknowledged, could drastic efforts have gotten power in somehow?
  •  

gennee

The Japanese government hasn't been as forthcoming on what the situation really is. America shouldn't talk because the government does the same thing-misinformation and double speak. Radiation can carry thousand of miles. The radiation from the Chernobyl accident found to be in California not too long after. The same thing could happen again. Couple talk with four nuclear plants in souther n California built near the faultlines and you have the makings of a major disaster waiting to happen.

Here in New York, the Indian Point power plant is about a 1/2 hour from the city. It's had leaks as has many of the plants in the country. A major accident will affect everyone within proximity of the plant

The accident at Three Mile Island in 1979 was underreported. There were many many deaths including many babies born around that time. It's still unsafe to live there.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: tekla on March 16, 2011, 10:36:48 AM

They won't let anyone in the control room for more than ten minutes and it's shielded.  Those guys, and I think it's down to 15 now, are like the NYFD/NYPD/PAP on 9-11, props to them.

They are incredibly brave. They know exactly what it is doing to them and they are sacrificing their lives for the rest of us. If those reactors go off we will all know about it. The pictures of people in the snow with nothing, it is heart wrenching

Cindy
  •  

Joelene9

Quote from: tekla on March 16, 2011, 10:36:48 AM

Ditto, the same thing happened at the Chernobyl plant as well.  A lot of Ukrainian, Russian and other people died doing the same thing.  They did this for years afterward! 
  •  

espo

Quote from: CindyJames on March 17, 2011, 02:12:46 AM
They are incredibly brave. They know exactly what it is doing to them and they are sacrificing their lives for the rest of us. If those reactors go off we will all know about it. The pictures of people in the snow with nothing, it is heart wrenching

Cindy

I hope one day we will learn who these people are. True heros.
  •