Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transitioning while partner's pregnant?

Started by Eonist, March 16, 2011, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eonist

My therapist says she hasn't heard of anyone in this same situation:

At 30 years old and recently married, my partner and I are looking at the future and trying to decide how we want to build a family. We both feel our clocks ticking in different ways.
If we're going to have kids, now seems like the time.
If I'm going to transition, now seems like the time.

Ok...
Now what?

If we want biological children of our own, I shouldn't start hormones until either they're conceived or we've banked my sperm.
I would rather have the kids get to know me as the gender I want to be going forward. I think that gives me maybe two years after they're born to settle into that gender.

It looks like we have to do both at the same time.

Concurrently, I'll also leave my job to stay home with the kids. My partner makes enough money to support the family and I don't really like my job. I'll probably go back to school while caring for the kids.

So, here's a master list of simultaneous transitions:
Non-parent to parent
Male to female
Employed to unemployed
(with accompanying transitions of perceived-hetero-to-perceived-queer, adequately-rested-to-sleep-deprived, leaving-the-house-to-home-all-day, etc.)

My partner and I pride ourselves at being really good at planning big, crazy projects but there are a lot of moving parts here. And we'll likely have to do it all while we're both hormonal messes.

What do you think? Can anyone put me in contact with or tell me about folks who've made it through a roughly similar set of changes? I'm more interested in inspirational than cautionary tales.
I know we're all beautiful and unique snowflakes here and and that the success or failure of others doesn't predict ours but I feel compelled to ask about this anyway.
  •  

Alice in genderland

Everyone is different. My wife and I actually planned something like that. Shortly after I began therapy and laser, we decided that we would go for a child before I started HRT. We tried for months, only to find out I had an infertility problem: my sperm's quality was extremely low. Especially for me that was a setback, as I considered my ability to donor myself sperm the only good thing about having been born with testes. We sperm banked after that. Couple of months later I started hormones. But that's not the end of the story. We are discussing the possibility of trying IVF next year. That means, I won't probably be through GRS before she gets pregnant, if IVF works, which btw means my wife would be playing with her hormone levels more than I do with mine. So... everyone is different, and every couple is too. But you are not the only ones who may have a child during transition and I doubt that you'd be the first ones.
I wish you all the luck I did not have (yet)!
All the best,
A.
  •  

atheris

If I were you (which I'm not!) I'd take one thing at a time, rather than trying to plan your entire life all at once. Start with your marriage. You say you're recently married? Most marriages, as many as 90%, fail after transition. How many fail WITHOUT transition???

Before rushing to have children before it may be too late, by all means, utilize a sperm bank before beginning HRT. If your marriage fails, you won't have a child to deal with, and if your marriage flourishes, nothing is lost.

Whether or not you transition should be thought of separately. People usually transition because they HAVE to transition, not because it seems like a convenient time. Transition is also a very expensive process, so is being a parent! It's going to be very difficult for your wife to deal with your changes at the same time as rasing a child. Is it fair to burden her with so much? Your wife will be going through changes too, as she becomes a mother.

I know you've said your interest isn't really in cautionary tales, but I just can't think of anything other than caution. Can it all be done? Yes, of course, but if nothing else, wouldn't you be better off waiting a little, and doing one thing at a time? Stabilize your home life, have a child, or two, and THEN, when everything is stable, think about transition. I'm not saying not to do anything, by all means, do what you must, but do everything in a less hectic manner which will be more likely to lead to comfort for you and your family with a minimum of stress. Your age allows you to pace things accordingly. I understand you have things you'd like to do, but you really don't need to do everything all at the same time. You can have a family while saving money towards your transition, you can also have your family while beginning laser or electrolysis, after having children, begin HRT, it's a slow process, or you can also begin training your voice; you DO have options that would have minimal impact on your home life.

How will transition affect your ability to find employment?
  •  

Eonist

Thanks for the feedback.

Alice, sorry to hear about your fertility problems. I hope I don't have to deal with that.

Atheris, neither my partner or I is the sort who believes that relationships that change are necessarily failures. We're both still friends with our exes. We'd find a way to be good parents, no matter what.
That "People usually transition because they HAVE to transition" narrative is a problem, I think. I'd rather approach it more intentionally. I want to do it if it will maximize the potential for joy and fulfillment of myself and my family.
My partner doesn't really see my transness as a burden. We started the relationship with her knowing everything I did and she's been along with every step.
I worry about that notion of waiting for stability before progressing. I'm coming to believe stability is a myth. I think we just have to judge how the boat's rocking and learn to roll with it.
  •  

Medusa

Hi
I'm at similar situation
I have two childrens 15 months and newborn 1 month
And childrens just increase my need of transition, before them I thought that I can live as a crossdreser (and it was suitable when I worked 12+ hours a day every day and at free time playing pc games), but as I now spend time with family I have to solve it
we have two problems:
1. my wife dont really accept me as ts
2. we want more childrens, but I have doubts if is it suitable and wise at my state
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •  

japple

My wife and I said we'd have two kids and I could start HRT.   I started a month before our second child was due...figuring if anything didn't work out I could go off it and try again.   My two year old doesn't really have a concept of sex yet.  I'll be on HRT for a year before he does.

Planning is cool but both pregnancy and transition are so hard to plan.  Just take steps.

•  

Alice in genderland

When parenthood and transition plans come together, a good idea may be seeking advice and support from groups of parents with trans background. Around here, such groups and groups for significant others or for parents with teenage trans children are growing and doing a great job.
  •  

envie

I have an almost 2 year old. The agreement with my partner was that I hold off HRT while she is pregnant so she has as relaxed pregnancy as possible. I went on HRT when my daughter was 18 months old.
I thought this was really good Idea as pregnant women do have their hormonal/emotional ups and downs and i wanted to be as supportive as possible I could. This support turned out to be necessary also after the birth as women go through another hormonal journey especially if they breast feed, which my partner did and still does.
At least in my case 18 months after the birth of my daughter it seemed like a good time to start the HRT and other rather self centered care.

I agree that changing relationship does not equal failing relationship but it can be really tough to go through. These things can't be always planned so you might want to put yourself in best possible situation to deal with the worst case scenario.

With the time we tried to conceive I waited for the HRT roughly 3 years and while it was a struggle I think it was all worth it. I still have a partner, although we have "changing" relationship, but I have gained wonderful child.

good luck making decision!
  •