Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Discovery Health Channel:- "Switching Sexes"

Started by Hazumu, February 17, 2007, 12:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazumu

This may have already been shown, but it's showing (again) tonight and tomorrow.

Switching Sexes: The Aftermath

Quote from: blurbFor people who find that their mind's identity and physical sex are mismatched, sexual reassignment surgery is a viable solution. Follow two transsexual men as they struggle through the heartache and sacrifice of becoming female.

On Air (et/pt):
FEB 17 2007
@ 08:00 PM

FEB 17 2007
@ 11:00 PM

FEB 18 2007
@ 02:00 PM

Karen
  •  

Kate

Ooo! Thanks Karen!

Hmmm, I know I've seen it... but can't remember it exactly. I need to TRY and see if my mom will take my call today... wondering if I should recommend this show if she does. It's always a risk to say "watch this and you'll understand me better", as we're ALL so different, even though we share so many similarities too ')

Kate
  •  

togetherwecan

does discovery archive their shows for streaming online? I have no TV but would really like to see this... :(
  •  

KarenLyn

I don't get that station :( I'll just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Karen Lyn
     :icon_female:
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Kate on February 17, 2007, 01:04:34 PM
I need to TRY and see if my mom will take my call today... wondering if I should recommend this show if she does. It's always a risk to say "watch this and you'll understand me better..."

Or not.

It wasn't a BAD show overall, but I'm sure Mikayla's story would make my mom think transition is all about getting to wear sexy boots, fishnet stockings, T shirts with the word "Vanity" stretched over big breasts, exposed belly buttons, tight jeans...

Gonna have to skip that one as being "educational" for mom methinks.

Kate
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Kate on February 17, 2007, 08:24:22 PM

It wasn't a BAD show overall, but I'm sure Mikayla's story would make my mom think transition is all about getting to wear sexy boots, fishnet stockings, T shirts with the word "Vanity" stretched over big breasts, exposed belly buttons, tight jeans...

Gonna have to skip that one as being "educational" for mom methinks.

Kate

I agree, Kate.  I was not personally thrilled with this show either, except for the part where they talked about Dr. Bower's transition.  Dr. Marci Bower's transition and her story are truly inspiring for anyone to see, her convictions of womanhood are a joy to perceive for anyone who shares her views.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Tinkerbell on February 17, 2007, 08:32:04 PM
Dr. Marci Bower's transition and her story are truly inspiring for anyone to see, her convictions of womanhood are a joy to perceive for anyone who shares her views.

I agree, she's a wonderfully "ordinary" woman, and someone I admire and idolize, and yet... even SHE had to slip in a line about how she was "wearing a sexy little teddy under my scrubs" when she was told she'd won Sexist Doctor or whatever that was.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that, I mean I get it... it's just... oh I dunno.

Kate
  •  

Hazumu

interesting statistic from the show:

"150,000 transsexuals worldwide."

So, if the world has 6 billion people and the US has 300 million, then the US has 5% or the population.

And the US's share of the worldwide transsexual population is 7,500, or 1 in 40,000.

I like Lynn Conway's numbers better -- start with 1 in 2,700 adult males in the US are already post-op MtF's, then figure the number of pre-ops and CD-only's from there

Karen
  •  

Cindi Jones

I like the rare numbers better Karen.  It means I'm even more special ;)  I've seen the film.  It's okay.  Nothing I'd really recommend to someone on the outside.  I did enjoy learning of Dr Bowers though.  She's my hero.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Kate on February 17, 2007, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: Tinkerbell on February 17, 2007, 08:32:04 PM
Dr. Marci Bower's transition and her story are truly inspiring for anyone to see, her convictions of womanhood are a joy to perceive for anyone who shares her views.

I agree, she's a wonderfully "ordinary" woman, and someone I admire and idolize, and yet... even SHE had to slip in a line about how she was "wearing a sexy little teddy under my scrubs" when she was told she'd won Sexist Doctor or whatever that was.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that, I mean I get it... it's just... oh I dunno.

Kate

Actually she said she'd been nominated for "Sexy" doctor of the year; at least that is what I thought I heard....and yes, she said "Undearneath the Armani suit, I had the sexy little teddy".....I think she was just trying to be funny, but I can see where people (cisgender) could twist her words for their benefit.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •