Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Moi, tucking for cycling?

Started by inoutallabout, May 15, 2010, 01:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inoutallabout

So, I just got this wicked bike and all the cool gadgets and stuff on it, and woohoo it goes fast and it's great exercise and it's uber light and...

Yeah, it hurts a bit.

Anyone have any tips for how to tuck for those narrow cycling seats?
  •  

Cindy

I wear a 'protection from bladder weakness' pad when biking. Gives a bit of an extra cushion.
  •  

Pippa

I don't bother.  A decent pair of cycling shorts has enough padding/protection that the boy bits are not noticeable.   However, I do wear a sports bra!
  •  

barbie

Quote from: inoutallabout on May 15, 2010, 01:01:25 AM
So, I just got this wicked bike and all the cool gadgets and stuff on it, and woohoo it goes fast and it's great exercise and it's uber light and...

Yeah, it hurts a bit.

Anyone have any tips for how to tuck for those narrow cycling seats?

I know some aged men who suffer from prostatitis and avoid cycling. For me, no problem for cycling.

I do not care abou tucking while riding a bike, as nobody will study it. I usually wear black capris tights in spring and summer. With some types of athletic tights from Target stores of the US, plain underwear pants is enough for tucking:

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad278/barbie_pictures/tuck_blue_tights.jpg
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad278/barbie_pictures/tuck_black_tights.jpg

Barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

inoutallabout

I can see what is meant regarding the bike shorts but... those things are expensive!  I'm a poor college student!
And I ride on these greenways and after 20 miles I generally stop for water/snack/stretch break and it's not uncommon for girls to chat and guys to hit on me, so people do kinda pay attention... it'd be nice to not have to go to a porta-potty right away just to readjust and go through the long process of locking the bike up only to unlock it 2 minutes later.

So... still would love some advice:)
  •  

CrazyTina

I know this is necromancing, but I am a road bike racer. And I was going to say that woman's cycling clothes are just like men's only they are slightly shorter, and I say slightly because the men's ones come almost mid thy anyways.

The chamois pad in them, if it is large (my perl izumi attack shorts have a large one) you can comfortably hide your mass without having to sit on it.

I did have a question about racing though, as I am taking hormones I will lose my edge over the racing field. Slower recovery, less ability to gain muscle, I will no longer be winning against men. And I am still legally male so I can't race in the woman's field.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: CrazyTina on June 26, 2010, 02:11:53 PM
I know this is necromancing, but I am a road bike racer. And I was going to say that woman's cycling clothes are just like men's only they are slightly shorter, and I say slightly because the men's ones come almost mid thy anyways.

The chamois pad in them, if it is large (my perl izumi attack shorts have a large one) you can comfortably hide your mass without having to sit on it.

I did have a question about racing though, as I am taking hormones I will lose my edge over the racing field. Slower recovery, less ability to gain muscle, I will no longer be winning against men. And I am still legally male so I can't race in the woman's field.

Not sure of the sport's law, will you ever be allowed to race in the women's events?
Seems sad if you cannot.

Cindy
  •  

CrazyTina

Quote from: CindyJames on June 27, 2010, 02:31:21 AM
Not sure of the sport's law, will you ever be allowed to race in the women's events?
Seems sad if you cannot.
I was reading the other day, there is a woman that races mountain bikes that is trans. So there is hope! I didn't bookmark the page, but it was a good story.

I am a road racer, it is slightly different, instead of riding tactically on mountains, we ride as fast and far as we can.

In the group that I ride with, I like to stay with the women in the group and talk to them during the rides. It is quite enjoyable. I fit right in even though I appear as a male when I ride.
  •  

Pippa

I have just bought a pair of female specific cycle shorts as my old male ones were done.   Despite not having any surgery yet, I already find the female shorts more comfortable. ;D
  •  

Ghost on the Highway

I don't think it'd be necessary, possibly fairly painful. One option is to wear MTB shorts, which have the standard "compression shorts" with pad inside and baggy shorts outside. Christina, unfortunately, I would have to guess that the UCI is more strict about these things, though that's just based on the general pattern of their regulations.
  •  

Princess Rachel

my bicycle was especially built for women, so the saddle is really comfy before I put the extra gel pad on it and I wear a pair of my padded knickers too when I do cycle so the bits I want mostly hacked off and burned are well protected as I gently peddle around my housing estate lazily so to burn calories but not build up muscle mass

•  

mistressstevie

Quote from: Christina. on June 30, 2010, 07:12:36 PM
I was reading the other day, there is a woman that races mountain bikes that is trans. So there is hope! I didn't bookmark the page, but it was a good story.

The whole story on Michelle Dumaresq is on wikipedia. 

Here is the first line of the article:  "Michelle Dumaresq is a professional downhill mountain bike competitor and post-operative trans woman."

There are bunch more out there and bing or google will bring them up so I do not post unnecessary links. 

-mS
  •  

GinaDouglas

I have a saddle that has a gap in the middle, so your weight rides wider.  Serfas brand Rx line.  I think it's wonderful.
It's easier to change your sex and gender in Iran, than it is in the United States.  Way easier.

Please read my novel, Dragonfly and the Pack of Three, available on Amazon - and encourage your local library to buy it too! We need realistic portrayals of trans people in literature, for all our sakes
  •