Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Why cant everyone just love?

Started by Michael Joseph, February 28, 2011, 11:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkfluff

Quote from: tekla on March 01, 2011, 07:24:16 PM
people who combine being narcissistic and self-absorbed with a pathological avoidance of responsibility

It's the job description of just about every top executive in every Fortune 500 Company.

Ain't that the truth. Politicans too.

Quote from: tekla on March 01, 2011, 07:03:46 PM
"People need to be educated" sounds elitist and uppity to me to begin with, as it assumes you know better than they do, and all that needs to happen is for you to shower down a bit of your enlightenment on them.  The second reason I don't like it is that I'm really damn sure a hella lot of people hate stuff that they absolutely know what it is, they've just reached different conclusions about it.

I can see how it might sound that way, but I think there is plenty of evidence that education is lacking among the general population. How many are there who don't graduate high school or who do yet still don't know anything? I thought I knew things after high school but in fact I hardly knew anything, and I got good grades. What does that say about our education system? I think it is a problem when people blindly believe what they're told because they either can't or won't think about a situation or issue for themselves.

It is certainly true that some people hate things that they know very well, but I think that's quite different from hating for it's own sake. We don't all have to think and believe the same things, but bad things happen when large numbers of people habitually allow themselves to be led around.
  •