Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

are you insured?

Started by Shana A, January 19, 2008, 11:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have health insurance? If so, how much coverage?

insured, but doesn't cover transition
insured with high deductible
insured, but doesn't cover transition
catastrophic coverage only
not insured at all

joannatsf

QuoteIf your medical condition is disabling you may qualify for Medicaid.  It's not the best but it will give you greater protection than you have now.  If you qualify for SSI or SSDI you can receive income as well as Medicare which includes prescription drug coverage.  If you are able to work, employment with a large enough institution can provide you coverage as well.  Government and educational institutions are big and generally tolerant of trans people.

I do qualify for and I am receiving SSI but I have been given the runaround on the Medicaid thing. Chances are I will probably never get Medicaid so as of now its all out of pocket for me.

Benefits are funny things.  They you have them but make you fight like hell to get them.  The people in the social services office are not evil.  They are required to follow proceedure to the letter and that's what they do.  A few helpful hints:

1.  Forms can be long and complex.  If you don't understand something find someone who does, like the case worker. 

2.  Have it reviewed beefore you submit it.  A small error can cause denial, which puts you in the appeals process.  You don't want to go there!

3.  Doggedly pursue the goal.  If someone tells you no keep going to other people until you find one that says yes.

4.  Always be cordial and polite to the person on the other side of the desk.  He or she puts up with a lot of krap.  A smile and a kind word may motivate them to go a little farther for you than normal.

Good luck!  Try and find a low income or disabled advocacy group.  They can help you!   :)

•  

Christo

I got insurance now.  I was w/o it for 3 months b/c I was new on the job.  But I just got my insurance card & it covers T, checkups & other stuff.  $250 a yr for deductible w/o limit.  It doesnt take care of bottom surgery though :(
  •