Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The secret lives of our profs

Started by Shana A, April 09, 2011, 02:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

The secret lives of our profs
Lecturer of Gender and Freshman Studies Helen Boyd Kramer

By Rachel Young
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, April 8, 2011

http://www.lawrentian.com/features/the-secret-lives-of-our-profs-1.2131517

Lecturer of Gender and Freshman Studies Helen Boyd Kramer has been at Lawrence since 2008. Originally from Brooklyn, New York, she has an undergraduate degree in English and a master's degree in writing, both from The City College of New York. Gender has always been a strong theme in her work. She has written two books, "My Husband Betty" and "She's Not the Man I Married," about trans issues. She is currently writing a chapter for the upcoming book "Trans Bodies, Trans Selves."

[...]

RY: Were you surprised to find a transgender community here in Appleton?

HBK: I was very surprised. The first three months I was here, I discovered that there was a trans support group here in town. Many much bigger cities don't even have anything like that. What ended up being the answer to the riddle [of why there is a trans support group] is that there was a surgeon in Neenah for many years. There are also people actively working on LGBTQ visibility here, and there's Harmony Café and other spaces that have been created for people to gather. However, all of these things added to the fact that I did not expect Appleton to have a trans support group -- but they do, which is cool!
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•