Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

To change residency or not? FL vs. MD

Started by LorenAndrew, April 26, 2011, 09:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LorenAndrew

I am trying to change my name.. as soon as I can, because I need to get a passport soon and don't want to have to turn around and get another passport immediately after!

I am currently listed as a resident of FL because it has been easier to keep my parents' address because I move at least once a year.  I am going to school full time in MD, so I live up here.. I could go home for like two weeks consecutively, but not much longer than that.

I also would LOVE to be able to change my gender on my license at the same time as I change my name.. but my surgery won't be until December, and I know that FL requires a letter stating surgery has been completed.  Anyone from either state that can give me feedback/info on their process?  Or, just general tip?

Like.. if I got a license in MD on Friday.. would I be able to file for a name change within the month, or would there be a waiting period since I just changed residencies?

Thanks,
ANdy
  •  

Melody Maia

Just did it in FL recently. It is about a 6 page form which includes an area where you must list every address you have lived at. You must also submit to fingerprinting for a background search, then file the paperwork at your county family clerk court house. So that would be one trip to Florida. You will then be sent a court date to appear before a family court judge, answer a few questions and get your court order. When that court date would be depends in your county. Count on a few weeks after filing. First stop after your court date should then be your local social security office. Then you have to wait 24 hours to get your new license from DMV.

That's about it except to say the fee is $400 plus fingerprinting costs ($65-80). If you are a student without a job you can most likely fill out "indigent" paperwork and have the fee reduced to $25 or so.

Hope that helps.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

LorenAndrew

Melody,

That helps a ton!  I don't think that Maryland requires fingerprinting..  and traveling to FL twice (with the second time being undetermined) doesn't really sound "easy" for me.  But, you are saying it is about a two-three week time period that the whole thing takes?

If that's the case, maybe I could just plan to do it when my classes are through and take some vacation time with family for a few weeks.. 

Is it hard to get finger printed?  My sistere is a teacher and she had to get her finger prints done and she had a terrible time getting an answer as to where to go to have them done.

Andy
  •  

Melody Maia

Quote from: LorenAndrew on April 26, 2011, 12:01:37 PM
Melody,

That helps a ton!  I don't think that Maryland requires fingerprinting..  and traveling to FL twice (with the second time being undetermined) doesn't really sound "easy" for me.  But, you are saying it is about a two-three week time period that the whole thing takes?

If that's the case, maybe I could just plan to do it when my classes are through and take some vacation time with family for a few weeks.. 

Is it hard to get finger printed?  My sistere is a teacher and she had to get her finger prints done and she had a terrible time getting an answer as to where to go to have them done.

Andy

Hard to say how long it will take from filing to court date. For me it was three weeks. I've seen a month, I've also seen two weeks. I imagine it depends on the case load for the family court in your county.

I had my fingerprinting done by the Sheriff's office in my county and it was a snap. There are business that will do it as well and you can usually get the county to tell you about them too. My only snag here was when I had it done, the lady at the Sheriff's office put down F for "sex" on the form based on my presentation. Since this is a background check, I had to correct it. She took it well, but it was a bit embarrassing to have to out myself. No biggie though.

I should add that my county (Lake) had the paperwork online. You should call the family court clerk's office for your county and ask them if they have the paperwork somewhere where you can download it.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •