Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Sharks like AC/DC

Started by Constance, June 03, 2011, 10:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance

"A cage-diving operator in South Australia has discovered that great white sharks in that region are fans of rock-and-roll music -- specifically that produced by the legendary Australian band AC/DC."

Sharks Like Rock

While I'm not that big a fan of AC/DC, they do seem a little better than Great White.  :laugh:

tekla

Well who doesn't love "You Shook Me All Night Long?"*

But that they also seem to like "If You Want Blood" is just a bonus.

It does say that sharks have middle of the road taste in music however, as any real fan knows that only Bon Scott AC/DC counts, the Brian Johnson AC/DC is but a pale copy.  As is You Shook Me, which they kind of ripped off of Led Zeppelin, who ripped it from Muddy Waters, who ripped it from the original by Willie Dixon and JB Lenoir.

Well except for Celine Dion, who felt it necessary to do this.... (warning, perhaps the worst cover of a song ever)
Celine Dion & a >-bleeped-< (Anastacia) - You Shook Me All Night Long (Live Divas Las Vegas 2002) HDTV
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Constance

Devlyn

Great thread! Those sharks are smart critters. I usually just listen to the Bon Scott stuff, favorite song: "Kicked in the teeth again." Not because of the sharks, either!
  •  

Animosity

Pfft, please. That has nothing to do with the music itself. Everyone knows great whites are all about national pride. Of course they'd respond positively to an AUSTRALIAN band's music. You could play those sharks any music from Australia and they'd have the same reaction. I know for a fact the sharks here in the US hate AC/DC, but they totally dig the Beach Boys.
  •  

Padma

I wonder how they'd feel about "What About Me?" ;D
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

tekla

If sharks were all that prideful about Aussie music they would have dined on Helen Reddy and Olivia Newton-John long ago.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Padma

Pride ain't the same thing as taste :). Seriously - just look at the list of US No.1's...
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

tekla

Obviously, if taste entered into it they would have eaten anyone who tried to replace Bon Scott.  But that just might be identity.  If there were any member of the Wild Kingdom who would be found dead of alcohol poisoning in the back of a limo, I'm betting it would be Great White Sharks.  So, professional courtesy might enter into it also.

And there are no real 'charts' anymore.  Radio as a music format is dead.  There are no real music stores anymore.  Hell, there are almost no record companies anymore.

And American's never claimed to have either taste or pride.  Crude and Tasteless are national virtures here.  Elvis is buried in what amounts to a monument to Elvis, on a scale beyond most US Presidents, and Graceland is pretty much Crude and Tasteless on an industrial scale.  (Trust me on this one, I've been to Graceland a bunch of times and have been to the graves of several ex-POTUSs.)  But you can't even find a grave or a memorial really to Robert Johnson, (and it's in the same area roughly) who was a visionary.  But Elvis has a lot of >-bleeped-<>-bleeped-< to sell.  That's what we have in America.  >-bleeped-< to sell.  Want to buy some? 

But isn't that just like AC/DC?  The Bon Scott version was really about being a band, playing rock music and doing that with great pride.    But the Brian Johnson version is just about having >-bleeped-< to sell.

Look back in '78.  Back when Helen and Olivia were selling that dreck, Have you never been mellow?  No.  No thank you.  Back in '78 I didn't want to be mellow, I didn't care what kind of frickign rose Delta Dawn had on.  And pretty much the rest of the >-bleeped-< was disco.  >-bleeped-<ty Disco by the ton.*

But we had one hope.  It was that AC/DC knew how to rock.  And that year, with all that crappy music, they put out one of the best live records (and really, live records are the best records) ever.  And if anyone knows great rock, it's Great Whites, it's pretty much an homage to sharks everwhere if you call your record:  If You Want Blood You've Got It.  And no coincidence at all that the people who run the music industry are called sharks.  Professional courtesy.

Billboard, '78
1. Shadow Dancing, Andy Gibb
2. Night Fever, Bee Gees
3. You Light Up My Life, Debby Boone
4. Stayin' Alive, Bee Gees
5. Kiss You All Over, Exile
6. How Deep Is Your Love, Bee Gees
7. Baby Come Back, Player
8. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water, Andy Gibb
9. Boogie Oogie Oogie, A Taste Of Honey
10. Three Times a Lady, Commodores
11. Grease, Frankie Valli