Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Breast growth on anti-acne medicine

Started by niamh, December 08, 2010, 12:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niamh

I wanted to discover if anyone else had similar stories to mine.

As a teenager I had severe acne on my back and after 5-6 years of using topical creams and oral medication nothing seemed to work. A dermatologist proscribed me 9 months of Roaccutane at the age of 18. They warned my parents that it was not suitable for people who had a history of depression as there had been alleged links between roaccutane and suicide. Of course my parents stated that I was not depressed (though little did they know that I was, and incidently, on the medication I thought non-stop about suicide). But I am not here to talk about the other adverse side-effects of the medication, all I will say is what is stated online is true.

What I want to talk about is breast growth. Before I went on the medication I had a flat chest, as all normal-bodied male-bodied tennage individuals. Towards the 9 months on Roaccutane I started to get sensitive nipples and my nipple area became very tender. In the two years that followed, aged 19-21 I noticed breast growth occuring, to the point where at age 21 I sported a B-cup, which I still have to this day.

Is it just coincidence? Or, is there something in me being curious about the possibility of my B-cups being a side-effect of the severe anti-acne mediciation Roaccutane?

(Just to be clear, I am pre-HRT and have never knowingly taken any female hormones).
  •  

RabbitsOfTheWorldUnite

Interesting that you haven't had any replies. I'll just put my two logical cents in tonight:

Since one of the side effects of HRT is reduced acne (I don't even need to wash my face anymore though I still do when I remember to take a shower), I would say that it follows that an anti-acne medication will likely have the same overall side effects as HRT (breast growth).

ie.
Since 1 + 2 = 3
Then 2 + 1 must also equal 3
  •