Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Going raw

Started by niamh, December 12, 2010, 02:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niamh

My journey of healthy eating goes back to 2006 when I realised that my lack of attention to my diet had had severe unwanted effects for my body not least as regards my weight. In 9 months from 2005 to 2006 I gained 20 kilos from a very poor student diet. For the years since then I have been wanting to lose weight but nothing was very successful. My successes only lasting a few weeks before I would relapse. A typical example is losing 7 kgs in 5 weeks on an intensive exercise regime only to put it all back on again and more when I stopped exercising.

On the final day of 2009, having reached the heaviest weight I have ever been in my life (because of very poor food choices as a result of severe stress and depression), I made the decision to cut out all meat (bar fish) and chocolate from my diet. It was the first time that I made a serious decision to do something radical to change my diet and improve my life. I became a pesco-vegetarian. I knew nothing about being a vegetarianism but I knew that I was going to turn my back on red meat.  The kilos just melted off and after 6 weeks I had lost 9 kgs. That is when I hit the wall.

When I returned to red meat (because of pressure from my family) I started to gain back the kilos. Then I plateaued and for months I stayed at the same weight. I knew that I was going to have to return to vegetarianism if I was going to lose the weight. I was of course exercising during all this time, not in an intensive way but more moderate, a 60-90 minute walk a day.

Four months ago I turned my back once again on meat, all meat this time including fish. I became an ovo-lacto-vegetarian. After two months, having lost the weight I gained during the summer when eating meat, and having educated myself alot on the literature on health and animal welfare I made the switch to true vegetarianism (veganism), I dropped the milk products and the eggs and I became I vegan. I stocked up on tofu and soya and for the last two months I have been riding at the same weight unchanged. Now that it is winter it seems impossible for me to shift any more weight. I would like to lose another 10 kilos, and I know I can because my target weight is the weight I was in 2005 before I gained the 20 kgs.

I read up on raw veganism and decided that I wanted to try it. Now I am on day three of my raw vegan diet where I only eat raw plant food, no processed nor animal-derived nor cooked foods.

So far I am feeling great, as if on a drug high, I am more positive and energetic on this raw diet. It is interesting that on every step, from shifting from eating the normal Western high-fat diet to vegetarianism, to cooked veganism and then on to raw veganism I have gained a little more positivity and a little more energy. I am feeling the greatest I have ever felt in years.

Ever since I have gone vegan my partner has been telling me that I smell better, am looking younger and am more positive and loving. As I said, it is day 3 of my raw vegan diet so I have only just started but already I can feel the positive changes.

I plan to keep you all posted on the developments and hopefully I will encourage others to embark on their own vegetarian/vegan/raw diets.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Veganism is great for MtF, as many types of meats tend to promote testosterone production.  Red meat = bad

Are you still on the diet?
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

lilacwoman

latest research on longevity enhancing diets are that veg, grains and fish give longest life with least illness and diseases...Adam and Eve managed about 600 years on such a diet.
  •  

niamh

Quote from: VeryGnawty on December 23, 2010, 09:25:24 AM
Veganism is great for MtF, as many types of meats tend to promote testosterone production.  Red meat = bad

Are you still on the diet?

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to update.

Yah, I am still on the diet. I was wholey raw for 11 days, and then I just started to crave something hot because it's so cold here so I had some soup. The last few days I have been having some warm for dinner. Breakfast and lunch and snacks are still raw. Of course dinner is not all cooked. Yesterday I had a lovely barley and kidney bean soup but it was accompanied by a big raw salad. Right now I am about 80-85% raw.

I am finding a balance that works for me and I have been able to remain happy in my mood without resorting to chocolate. I've been chocolate free for the last two weeks which is an awesome achievement for someone who was a chocoholic! (The secret is to have a little raw cacao on my oat flakes in the morning and also make some nice raw snacks with carob powder). I've lost a kilo (2lbs) since going raw and I am happy with that progress and I am also feeling great both physically and mentally.

For the first time in years I am feeling alive and happy.  :D

Quote from: lilacwoman on December 23, 2010, 12:19:42 PM
latest research on longevity enhancing diets are that veg, grains and fish give longest life with least illness and diseases...Adam and Eve managed about 600 years on such a diet.

I love my fruit, veg and grains but I just don't like to eat animals and I am concerned with the toxic levels of mercury in the fish today.
  •  

tekla

Adam and Eve managed about 600 years on such a diet.

Authentic source dubious.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: lilacwoman on December 23, 2010, 12:19:42 PM
latest research on longevity enhancing diets are that veg, grains and fish give longest life with least illness and diseases.

You have to be careful with fish, though.  Some of it can be very nasty.  I can't stand fish that taste "fishy" if you know what I mean.

I do like my grains, though.  I think grains get a bad rap.  I don't think it's grains so much that is the problem, as the way they are prepared.  Buying a packaged processed bread is completely not the same as soaking plain oats to make oatmeal.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Fuji

My life parter is vegan and he smells, looks, and tastes pretty wonderful!  The only problem that can arise with a raw food diet is irritation of existing IBS.  Look into probiotics to support your digestive system if anything bowel problems arise.

Excluding fish is detrimental only for lack of omegas, which support healthy levels of triglicerides and cholesterol.  (If you're raw and vegan, though, your cholesterol may not be a problem!) You can opt to add Omegas (3 being the most well known, but all Omegas are helpful) through fish oil supplements if that's acceptable, if not, flax seed oil can give you Omega 3s.    It comes in some pretty tasty forms now, too.

Sounds like a great diet that has had positive effects on your life! Congrats!

(edited for spelling errors)
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Fuji on January 18, 2011, 07:11:12 PMYou can opt to add Omegas (3 being the most well known, but all Omegas are helpful) through fish oil supplements if that's acceptable, if not, flax seed oil can give you Omega 3s.

I'm not convinced on the research on Omegas.  3 and 6 are typically found in different types of environments.  It doesn't make logical sense that the body would need both.  I doubt that the ancient cave men were transporting fish from around the world so that they could get Omega-3

For that matter, I doubt anyone in the far north was transporting Omega-6 from the southern climates.  Some of the tribes that live up north still eat a diet almost exclusively of sea animals, and it is only recently that they have started eating vegetables with advent of modern technology to fly in canned goods.

In this case, I trust the anthropology research over the biochemistry research.  Omega fats are all hype.  The only ones you should need is whichever ones are most prevalent in the climate that you live in.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Jinny

Great to see other conscious eaters on here too - I have been eating mostly unprocessed (ie raw vegan) food for almost 10 months now & can't even begin to describe what an amazingly positive impact this has had on my life! I realise that it's fairly radical, but I think most people could definitely benefit from increasing the amount of unprocessed food in their diet, as well as decreasing the amount of dairy & wheat they consume. I don't drink alcohol & have never smoked so I think this helps too! Drinking lots of water is also beneficial & for the ladies looking to lose weight green tea is fabulous!
  •  

niamh

•  

justmeinoz

Sounds like you've rediscovered Pritikin's programme of diet AND exercise.  He basically pointed out that the average American in the 70's had a very poor diet, and was promoting the idea of eating a lot less processed foods high in sugar and fat.  Also known as a balanced diet.

By keeping meat for example, as a much smaller part of the diet and eating a wider variety of fresh or minimally processed foods, he aimed at returning to the diet that the human race has eaten for most of it's existence.
Simply looking at our teeth shows we are omnivores, and should avail ourselves of the much wider choices we have compared to our ancestors at any given season of the year.

The other side of his programme is the exercise.  We do a fraction of the exercise that previous generations did just going about their daily activities. We drive rather than walk or ride a bike. We email rather than walking to the office up-stairs ( because there was no lift either).  We sit here at the PC or watch TV rather than walk the dog after dinner.  See I am at it too!

Since cutting out sausages and other fatty meats, and restricting my red meat intake to a good, but small steak on occaission I have lost a couple of kg , and feel a lot healthier. I also eat chicken and a lot more fish than I used too as well.
Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Jinny

Thanks Niamh! :)  Justme - exercise is the one thing that I really need to get back in swing with - I used to live in France & exercised every day - pilates & callenetics, but since I returned to the UK I just don't seem to be able to get back a good routine - which is a shame as I really loved how I felt exercising!
  •  

sascraps

What about for FtM's? I just came across raw vegan diet info and am considering trying it, even though I've always been such a lover of meat. I just don't lose weight no matter what kind of diet or how much I work out. I've been down that road many times of walking miles a day, on some strict diet, all to never lose a single pound.

It stands to reason the weight could really drop on a raw vegan diet though. Even the counselor I saw again today told me it's not possible to be fat eating all fruits & vegetables.
  •  

justmeinoz

Don't forget a small amount of red meat, you need the iron for starters, just not the fat. 

Let's not forget that until recently meat was something of a luxury, in a diet with a lot more fish, grains, nuts, fruit and vegetables.  It also tended to be lean seeing it came from scrawny barnyard roosters, or game.

Lets face it, if we weren't meant to eat animals they wouldn't be made of meat!   :laugh:
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •