Community Conversation => Military Veterans Confab => Topic started by: Lori Dee on January 12, 2026, 08:07:54 PM Return to Full Version

Title: Coin Check!
Post by: Lori Dee on January 12, 2026, 08:07:54 PM
Does anybody still have their Challenge Coins (aka Commander's Coins)?

If you still have it, let's see it.
If you have more than one, let's see them all.

Since I called the Coin Check, protocol dictates that I must show mine first.

I have two, but they are identical. I got the first one in 1981, the second one in 1982.

Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Dances With Trees on January 13, 2026, 12:20:53 PM
I loved Lee Marvin in the Big Red One! But, alas, as a leatherneck, no one ever gave me a coin. Not even a plugged nickel. Love it, Lori! Congratulations. I look forward to seeing other coins from other vets.
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Rochelle on January 13, 2026, 06:41:17 PM
Mostly military, a couple of randoms....yes it's a bit dusty there. :p
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Lori Dee on January 13, 2026, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: Rochelle on January 13, 2026, 06:41:17 PMMostly military, a couple of randoms....yes it's a bit dusty there. :p


Very nice collection! Thanks for sharing, and for your service.
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Dances With Trees on January 13, 2026, 09:29:51 PM
Wow! Master Sergeant is like God in the Marine Corps. I made it as far as corporal. Buck sergeant in the National Guard. Thanks, Rochelle.
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Robyn Zola on August 16, 2026, 08:58:16 AM
coins.jpg
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Devlyn on August 16, 2026, 10:06:26 AM
No coins, but I had a little folding Buck knife given to me by the CSM of the Army Glen Morrell.
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Devlyn on August 16, 2026, 10:42:06 AM
Anyone else familiar with a pfennig check?
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Lori Dee on August 16, 2026, 10:55:24 AM
Quote from: Devlyn on August 16, 2026, 10:42:06 AMAnyone else familiar with a pfennig check?

We did pfennig checks more often than coin checks. Coin checks were mostly held at the NCO club, where many people had coins. But pfennig checks were for when we were just out with the guys.

When people would carry a pfennig just so they couldn't be called, my driver decided to expand it with all kinds of random crap.

Funfzig-Deutsche-Mark Check! 🤣

You could have caught him with a pocketknife check! Perfectly valid as a gift from the CSM.
Title: Re: Coin Check!
Post by: Devlyn on August 16, 2026, 10:59:50 AM
Quote from: Lori Dee on August 16, 2026, 10:55:24 AMWe did pfennig checks more often than coin checks. Coin checks were mostly held at the NCO club, where many people had coins. But pfennig checks were for when we were just out with the guys.

When people would carry a pfennig just so they couldn't be called, my driver decided to expand it with all kinds of random crap.

Funfzig-Deutsche-Mark Check! 🤣

You could have caught him with a pocketknife check! Perfectly valid as a gift from the CSM.


He walked up to the guy beside me and asked him if he smoked, the answer was yes, so he got a Zippo. I didn't smoke so I got a knife. The first guy said "I should have said I didn't smoke." 🤣