Community Conversation => Transgender talk => Topic started by: CosmicJoke on August 02, 2026, 02:03:45 PM Return to Full Version
Title: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: CosmicJoke on August 02, 2026, 02:03:45 PM
Post by: CosmicJoke on August 02, 2026, 02:03:45 PM
Hi everyone. I for one can say I have experienced being treated differently solely based on my gender presentation. There's like this acceptance I now get from women that I did not receive before.
Granted, not all women accept me. I think it really depends on the person. I personally have noticed an increase in female friendships since I transitioned to female however.
It's why I find it interesting that some people say it does not matter when clearly it does matter.
I'm just interested in what some of your experiences have been?
Granted, not all women accept me. I think it really depends on the person. I personally have noticed an increase in female friendships since I transitioned to female however.
It's why I find it interesting that some people say it does not matter when clearly it does matter.
I'm just interested in what some of your experiences have been?
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: KathyLauren on August 02, 2026, 03:02:46 PM
Post by: KathyLauren on August 02, 2026, 03:02:46 PM
The same. Surprising as has been to me, my gender presentation is working well enough that both men and women treat me as a woman. They may have secret doubts, but their first guess as to how I want to be treated is woman. I can't complain!
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Charlotte Kitty on August 02, 2026, 03:20:03 PM
Post by: Charlotte Kitty on August 02, 2026, 03:20:03 PM
I can't say I've noticed too much difference. I think when I'm walking, cars seem to wave me across more, but might be imagining that!
In the UK these differences feel so much less. Gendered greetings are obsolete and everything is very casual so everyone is kinda treated the same.
In the UK these differences feel so much less. Gendered greetings are obsolete and everything is very casual so everyone is kinda treated the same.
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Laura Squirrel on August 02, 2026, 04:58:41 PM
Post by: Laura Squirrel on August 02, 2026, 04:58:41 PM
I don't know if this qualifies or not. But when I was in the closet and during the early part of my transition, I would walk into the men's room and get the weirdest looks. After walking up to the urinal, dudes would say: "That's a guy???"
It was around June of '08, after being on HRT for 8 months, I was getting stopped by women in public places, and they would direct me to the women's room. I began my name change process in September of '08.
It was around June of '08, after being on HRT for 8 months, I was getting stopped by women in public places, and they would direct me to the women's room. I began my name change process in September of '08.
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Maid Marion on August 02, 2026, 05:25:15 PM
Post by: Maid Marion on August 02, 2026, 05:25:15 PM
Absolutely. As as short guy I was pretty much invisible, much like old women fade into invisibility.
As a senior presenting female I look young enough that folks routinely stop for me in parking lots and hold doors open for me.
After I paid my taxes at Town Hall I spend some time walking around checking out the municipal building.
A guy stopped to asked me if I needed any help.
As a senior presenting female I look young enough that folks routinely stop for me in parking lots and hold doors open for me.
After I paid my taxes at Town Hall I spend some time walking around checking out the municipal building.
A guy stopped to asked me if I needed any help.
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Laura Squirrel on August 02, 2026, 06:19:45 PM
Post by: Laura Squirrel on August 02, 2026, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: Maid Marion on August 02, 2026, 05:25:15 PMAbsolutely. As as short guy I was pretty much invisible, much like old women fade into invisibility.
As a senior presenting female I look young enough that folks routinely stop for me in parking lots and hold doors open for me.
After I paid my taxes at Town Hall I spend some time walking around checking out the municipal building.
A guy stopped to asked me if I needed any help.
How tall are you? I'm 5' 5 and a half".
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Maid Marion on August 02, 2026, 08:08:01 PM
Post by: Maid Marion on August 02, 2026, 08:08:01 PM
I'm 5ft 2in tall and my waist is 24 inches. 34 inch hips for that hourglass figure.
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Jillian-TG on August 02, 2026, 09:52:13 PM
Post by: Jillian-TG on August 02, 2026, 09:52:13 PM
Quote from: Maid Marion on August 02, 2026, 08:08:01 PMI'm 5ft 2in tall and my waist is 24 inches. 34 inch hips for that hourglass figure.You are fortunate to have such a feminine frame.
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: big kim on August 03, 2026, 12:44:20 AM
Post by: big kim on August 03, 2026, 12:44:20 AM
I get the door held open for me and offered seats on the bus and tram now. I had a young man and his girlfriend tell me to be careful using a cash machine as there were some shifty characters hanging about and they'd wait till I got my money.
I think having grey hair helps.
I think having grey hair helps.
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: EllenW on August 03, 2026, 10:13:03 AM
Post by: EllenW on August 03, 2026, 10:13:03 AM
Yes, since my transition I am treated the same way as any other woman is. Men hold doors open for me and will ask if I need help carrying items. However, I think the biggest indicator that I am accepted my other women as one of the "girls". A good example of this is my interactions with a neighbor. She is in her late 20's, and we stop to talk when we are out walking our dogs. The other when she was working in her yard, I asked how she was enjoying the hot weather. She said she hated it and that she was having another issue. She then added that on top of everything else she was having her period. I just do not believe she would have said that id she thought I was a male.
Ellen
Ellen
Title: Re: Have you been treated differently solely based on your gender presentation?
Post by: Charlotte Kitty on August 03, 2026, 10:22:19 AM
Post by: Charlotte Kitty on August 03, 2026, 10:22:19 AM
Quote from: EllenW on August 03, 2026, 10:13:03 AMYes, since my transition I am treated the same way as any other woman is. Men hold doors open for me and will ask if I need help carrying items. However, I think the biggest indicator that I am accepted my other women as one of the "girls". A good example of this is my interactions with a neighbor. She is in her late 20's, and we stop to talk when we are out walking our dogs. The other when she was working in her yard, I asked how she was enjoying the hot weather. She said she hated it and that she was having another issue. She then added that on top of everything else she was having her period. I just do not believe she would have said that id she thought I was a male.
Ellen
Oh yeah those more intimate conversations do say a lot. I find being involved in those conversations is happening now. Great to hear it's all good.