Community Conversation => Transitioning => Gender Correction Surgery => Topic started by: Tills on August 06, 2026, 10:35:48 AM Return to Full Version

Title: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 06, 2026, 10:35:48 AM
Hi ladies, this may have been done before but I wondered if I might share my ideas about things for before, during, and after GCS surgery down below. Can you please add things you have either thought of or which have been of use in your experiences?

I think there may be a lot of suggestions so I can keep updating this list. And some things will be more pertinent for one country than another. But here goes:

Beforehand at home:

Hard drive back up of computer and load up tv shows / films

For hospital:

Extension lead
Phone and device chargers
Laptop
Ear buds
Eye mask
Small fan
Pj's or nightie
Loose clothes
Meds
Some cash
Books
Audio books
Blue vaseline
Wash items
Toothbrush
Lady shaver
Wet wipes
Deodorant
Mirror
Dried figs
Red grapes
Mint tea bags
Doughnut cushion for travelling home and for home afterwards

For back home afterwards:

Activon Medical Grade Manuka Honey
Pre-made honey dressings e.g. 'Med Honey'
Non-slip bath mat
Extra towels
Pads for down below
Pads for bed
Loose underwear: cotton
Loose clothes
Jigsaw table
Dried figs
Red grapes
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Naproxen on standby


I know some of you talk about ice packs but no-one on my medical team has mentioned this so I'm going to steer clear.

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Devlyn on August 06, 2026, 11:29:04 AM
Maybe salt for sitz baths? I recall my wife bringing some in.

Edit to add:

Wedge pillow for sitting up.

If you're a side sleeper, a between the legs pillow. https://amzn.eu/d/06p4iuAS

The mesh underwear from the hospital is amazing. Similar ones are on Amazon. https://amzn.eu/d/029iRVLj

A case of water based lube. My wife used optilube.

Microwavable heat/cool pads.

Douche.

Mr Green and Mr Orange from Soul Source. My wife bought the full set because she didn't like the clear one Dr Bellringer supplied.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: KathyLauren on August 06, 2026, 06:36:18 PM
You listed pads in the "for afterwards" column.  I'd suggest having some with you for the journey home.  I did use them for the trip home, but I didn't need them at home after the first day or two.

If you are flying home, call the airline to reserve a wheelchair at departure and arrival airport.  Travel light: a single carry-on with wheels should do you.  You won't be allowed to lift anything, hence the wheels, and a single bag means that asking for help isn't a big imposition on strangers.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 06, 2026, 10:05:30 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions above ladies. Here's an update to my list including a few other things I've remembered too!

Beforehand at home:

Hard drive back up of computer and load up tv shows / films

For hospital:

Extension lead
Phone and device chargers
Laptop
Ear buds
Eye mask
Small fan
Pj's or nightie
Loose clothes
Meds
Some cash
Books
Audio books
Blue vaseline
Wash items
Toothbrush (charged) & toothpaste
Lady shaver
Wet wipes
Deodorant
Moisturiser
Mirror
Dried figs
Red grapes
Mint tea bags
Coffee bags: both caffeinated and decaffeinated
Travel kettle?
Slippers
Doughnut cushion for travelling home and for home afterwards
& hot / cold pads for travelling home (see below)
Wheelchair booked with airline if flying home for departure/arrival/transfer airports


For back home afterwards:

Activon Medical Grade Manuka Honey
Pre-made honey dressings e.g. 'Med Honey'
Ice packs and/or microwavable hot or warm pads
Wedge pillow for sitting up
Pillow for between legs if you're a side sleeper
Non-slip bath mat
Extra towels
Pads for down below
Pads for bed
Loose underwear: cotton
Optilube or other water-based lube
Douche
Dilators if not using hospital ones e.g. Mr Green and Mr Orange from Soul Source
Mesh underwear
Loose clothes
Jigsaw table
Dried figs
Red grapes
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Naproxen on standby

Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 06, 2026, 10:10:42 PM
The travelling light point is a really good one and presents quite a conundrum. I'd be very interested to know how those going to places like Thailand have found this and what they did.

I don't travel light these days, partly because I take with me a number of comfort items e.g. teddy bear, small fairy lights, medical pack (won't be needed in hospital!), books etc but @KathyLauren 's  point is spot on: you can't lift anything heavy following vaginoplasty.

In my case it's a taxi ride back so I figure someone at Parkside can help me with the case on wheels down to the taxi, the driver can put it in the boot, and then on arrival my friend will lift it out. Ordinarily she'd have picked me up but she doesn't like driving in London.

Oh and it's 3 weeks today. I'm so excited I was getting ahead of myself in the other post 😂

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 06, 2026, 10:30:35 PM
And the dried figs / red grapes are a personal thing for trying to avoid constipation. The various meds associated with the procedure along with the pain killers typically induce constipation, which is something to avoid if possible as you really don't want to be straining down there.

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Devlyn on August 07, 2026, 01:46:45 AM
I noticed the blue Vaseline on your list. Be aware that oil based products will degrade the Soul Source dilators, hence the water based lube.

I'm not sure if that's why it's on your list though.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 07, 2026, 02:14:57 AM
Quote from: Devlyn on August 07, 2026, 01:46:45 AMI noticed the blue Vaseline on your list. Be aware that oil based products will degrade the Soul Source dilators, hence the water based lube.

I'm not sure if that's why it's on your list though.

Hi.

The blue one is recommended by the hospital: for lips.

I normally use the pink rosy lips one but for hospital they prefer the plain and is on their shortlist of items to bring.

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 07, 2026, 02:27:37 AM
By the way, no baths for a month. Showers only. But I'm sure everyone else knew that (I didn't!).

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Jenn104 on August 07, 2026, 07:55:44 AM

A few minor adds 'n' opinions--

Before - I live alone. I spent a lot of time figuring out the ergonomics of post op recovery. I was coached to believe bending over post op is tough. It was! So I had my apartment arranged in a way I didn't have to bend over. My bottom surgery was at the end of August, so I prepped my apartment for fall as well. I put vacation responders on my email for the week of surgery. I lined up multiple friends to call for an emergency. If something happened I had a chain of people who live close and could get to me in under 10 minutes.

Hospital - I had a 4 night stay. I mostly slept. I was coached to bring as little as possible, which worked for me. I had a kindle but wouldn't bother again. I had a book of adult word searches, but only managed 2 pages of vagina slang (to the great amusement of the urologists). I'd bring chocolate over dried fruit, but I had all the laxatives insurance would pay for. I had friends bring my donut ring for the ride home, which is 100% a must-have. I liked the memory foam ring over the inflatable one.

Recovery - I'd add good slip on shoes you can walk in. I walked often in recovery and it was nice to not have to bend over to get shoes on. I killed time with an adult coloring books (search - 'the big adventures of the cute vajayjay'), but that's me. I used puppy pads while figuring out dilation as well as a mirror. I used adult diapers over mesh panties until err unplugged down there. worked for me, less laundry. I had a breakfast tray that doubled as a work surface for my bed, although used it sparingly. I used a lot of paper plates and disposable cutlery for about 2 weeks.

If I had a do over, I'd probably be more militant about post op privacy. at least one friend wanted to nurse me back to health and it was way more irritating than helpful. YMMV - some like the pampering thing, some don't.

Good Luck! no list is perfect but you sound like you have a good handle on your needs

~Jenn

Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Athena on August 07, 2026, 08:57:10 AM
Don't skip the ice packs. I got home from Montreal and I didn't take the icing advice and I suffered, I was in tears from pain but the moment I started with ice packs again things calmed down. the thing with ice packs is you need a towel or a t-shirt or something that the ice pack isn't directly on the surgical area. I suffered so much because I thought that I didn't need to anymore but I was wrong.

The one thing I will always suggest for people getting surgery is to make sure you have ice packs. I am getting my left knee replaced Sept 3rd (2 years to the day after getting my grs), they are renting me a cryo machine with a knee cuff but I think I will still get ice packs just in case.

My biggest regret from surgery by far is not listening to the icing advice, it helped so much.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Athena on August 07, 2026, 09:03:01 AM
Quote from: Tills on August 07, 2026, 02:27:37 AMBy the way, no baths for a month. Showers only. But I'm sure everyone else knew that (I didn't!).

xx

Really ? I had to do sitz baths from the day I could first clean up, I think I had to do the baths for 2 months maybe a bit more. I started dilating 4 times a day and I had to use the sitz bath 3 times then in the evening I could use the shower.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 07, 2026, 09:18:53 AM
Quote from: Athena on August 07, 2026, 08:57:10 AMDon't skip the ice packs. I got home from Montreal and I didn't take the icing advice and I suffered, I was in tears from pain but the moment I started with ice packs again things calmed down. the thing with ice packs is you need a towel or a t-shirt or something that the ice pack isn't directly on the surgical area. I suffered so much because I thought that I didn't need to anymore but I was wrong.

The one thing I will always suggest for people getting surgery is to make sure you have ice packs. I am getting my left knee replaced Sept 3rd (2 years to the day after getting my grs), they are renting me a cryo machine with a knee cuff but I think I will still get ice packs just in case.

My biggest regret from surgery by far is not listening to the icing advice, it helped so much.

I'm not going to touch ice packs, unless they specifically say it's okay to. It's very different from other kinds of healing and surgical sites. You really don't want to be introducing anything that can cause infection to what is an open wound site, nor the 'burning' that can occur from ice.

I was a very keen marathon runner and certainly used ice at times but those weren't open wounds. And there's a natural process of swelling, bruising, and pain.

But I'll see if they do mention it after all and will follow their professional advice on that.

xx

p.s. definitely NO baths: they're firm about that, again for risk of infection reasons.

Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 10, 2026, 10:29:34 PM
I've been getting the various bits n' bobs in shops and online. And it's little things like booking in to have my hair done before the op and ensuring I have enough of my Redken conditioner for afterwards as I won't be getting to the shops for several weeks.

The doughnut ring arrived and looks great. I went with the memory foam suggestion above, rather than inflatable.

Getting there and feel fairly organised but time seems to be accelerating. A little over 2 weeks now.

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 11, 2026, 06:35:45 AM
Quick question: what did folk do about sanitary pads? I notice that my general information document from Nuffield Health says that those going through gynae procedures should bring sanitary pads.

I'd kind-of assumed the hospital would provide them during the stay and that I'd take their advice before buying things like that? But maybe not?

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Stottie Girl on August 11, 2026, 08:54:19 AM
I heard heavy duty max flow pads were recommended but don't quote me on that one.

Does Parkside have free wi-fi?
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on August 11, 2026, 09:15:42 AM
Quote from: Stottie Girl on August 11, 2026, 08:54:19 AMI heard heavy duty max flow pads were recommended but don't quote me on that one.

Does Parkside have free wi-fi?

Thanks and yes it does :)

No aircon so hopefully this crazy heat will have departed by then. I get my own en-suite room though and the window opens and they will provide a fan if I want one.

xx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Stottie Girl on August 11, 2026, 10:19:14 AM
Quote from: Tills on August 11, 2026, 09:15:42 AMThanks and yes it does :)

No aircon so hopefully this crazy heat will have departed by then. I get my own en-suite room though and the window opens and they will provide a fan if I want one.

xx
I hope the London heat isn't too opressive for you. They are talking about another heat wave. It hasn't been too bad up here lately in all honesty.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: MiaT on September 06, 2026, 07:41:10 AM
Quote from: Tills on August 11, 2026, 06:35:45 AMQuick question: what did folk do about sanitary pads? I notice that my general information document from Nuffield Health says that those going through gynae procedures should bring sanitary pads.

I'd kind-of assumed the hospital would provide them during the stay and that I'd take their advice before buying things like that? But maybe not?

xx

Hey.

Good list.

You need post-partem maternity pads tho'. Your hospital should provide them during your stay. Sanitary pads are very thin and will not be adequate for some weeks as discharge is normal. If you cannot get hold of that kind of maternity pad in your country then incontinence pads are next best thing.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Charlotte Kitty on September 06, 2026, 07:48:29 AM
I got a whole pack of the high absorption incontinence pants as i got a coupon through for a free pack! Ive no problem wearing much thicker heavy duty options though so will be ok in February 😀
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Lori Dee on September 06, 2026, 08:25:06 AM
Quote from: MiaT on September 06, 2026, 07:41:10 AMHey.

Good list.

You need post-partem maternity pads tho'. Your hospital should provide them during your stay. Sanitary pads are very thin and will not be adequate for some weeks as discharge is normal. If you cannot get hold of that kind of maternity pad in your country then incontinence pads are next best thing.

Hello MiaT,

I'm Lori Dee. Welcome to Susan's Place!

I see that this is your first post. Thank you for contributing to the discussion.

We want to get to know you. Please stop by our Introductions Forum (https://www.susans.org/index.php?board=8.0) and introduce yourself.

When you click on the HOME button, you will see a page listing all of the various sub-forums by category and topic. Each sub-forum has a description of what that forum is about, as well as any guidelines for posting.

Please keep in mind when posting that this is an ALL-AGES PUBLIC Forum and the internet never forgets. Do not post anything that you do not want to be made public.

I will add links below that are important for new and returning members.
Pay special attention to the links in RED.

If you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me at LoriDee605@outlook.com.

Once again, welcome to Susan's Place!

~ Lori Dee
Forum Staff



Things that you should read

  • New Members... Please Read this First (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,250343.msg2295001.html#msg2295001)
  • Site Terms of Service & Rules to Live By (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,2.0.html)
  • Site Policies and stuff to remember (https://www.susans.org/index.php/board,492.0.html)
  • Changing Your Forum Name (https://www.susans.org/index.php?topic=196460.msg2270355#msg2270355)
  • Membership Agreement (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,216851.0.html)
  • Cautionary Note (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,82221.0.html)
  • How to Contact Forum Staff Members (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246913.0.html)
  • Standard Terms & Definitions (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,54369.0.html)
  • News posting & quoting guidelines (https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,174951.0.html)
  • Photos, avatars, & signature images
    (https://www.susans.org//index.php/topic,59974.msg383866.html#msg383866)
  • Crisis Support and Help Groups (https://www.susans.org/index.php?topic=249512.msg2286371#msg2286371)



@MiaT
@Northern Star Girl
@Devlyn
@Jessica_Rose
@Mariah
@Sarah B

Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Sarah B on September 06, 2026, 04:53:22 PM
Hi MiaT

My name is Sarah and I would also like to formally, Welcome you to Susan's Place!

I see that other members of Susan's have also welcomed you as well.

When I changed my life around they never told me about the protection I would need.  However, that was not a problem as I knew I was going to need them.  Ordinary pads which I obtained in the feminine care aisle were quite suitable as the discharge is very small, yes I had my brand name in mind.

I would be concerned if the discharge is heavy.

Once you feel comfortable here, it would be appreciated if you add a little bit more about yourself in the other forums and threads.  I would appreciate it very much as, I'm always interested in learning something new about new members.

In addition members of Susan's will more than likely discuss problems or issues that are similar to yours as most have experienced these issues as well.

Please keep in mind when posting that this is an ALL AGES PUBLIC Forum and the internet never forgets.  Do not post anything that you do not want to be made public.

Take care and all the best for the future.

Once again, Welcome to Susan's Place!

Best Wishes Always
Sarah B
Global Moderator
@Devlyn  @Jessica_Rose  @Mariah  @Northern Star Girl  @Lori Dee @MiaT
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Sarah B on September 07, 2026, 12:58:52 AM
Hi Everyone

Surgery Then and Now
I thought it might be interesting to look back at what I actually needed when I had my surgery in February 1991 and compare it with what I would probably need if I were doing the same thing today.  Things were very different then particularly when it came to information and communication.

Before
I really never thought too much about the surgery in fact very little.  I was working, having a good time and worked right up until my operation.

In or around May 1990 I had three surgery letters.  At the time I knew about two of the letters that allowed me to go ahead with surgery but I did not actually see the letters themselves until sometime after 2010 when I received all three together.  One letter was from my second psychiatrist after only three visits.  Another was from my main psychiatrist and the third was from my endocrinologist, which surprised me.

Before this I thought I was not going to get approval for the surgery from my first psychiatrist and I was ready to move on.  Once I had the approval my main concern was getting a surgery date.  I would have had the operation the next day if I could have but two things stood in the way: getting a surgery date and getting all the money together.

I already had $5,000 but I still needed another $5,000.  When my surgery date came around the loan for the remaining $5,000 had not yet come through and I was panicking.  Fortunately I got the money in time.  So if there is one rule to learn from this it is to have all your money ready beforehand.

There were also two possibilities to consider: having the operation here in Australia or having it overseas.  Having surgery in Australia was feasible for me but having surgery overseas really was not.  I had heard about people going overseas for surgery but information was very limited.  These were pre-internet days so there was nothing like the amount of information available today.

Other than toiletries I brought virtually nothing with me to the hospital.  It was an era before smartphones, laptops, tablets and of course the internet as we know it today.

Hospital
What can I say? It was a five-day stay and I spent much of that time sleeping.  I had a couple of visitors as well.  To me it was a non-event after everything I had been through during the previous two years.  I had reached the point where I finally had peace of mind.

For the first part of the stay I was mostly confined to bed.  There were bed baths and the normal things such as brushing my teeth.  Toward the end of my stay I was able to get out of bed, walk around and have a shower.

The catheter also had to be removed before I could go home.  Once it was removed I had to be able to wee.  If I could not wee I could not go home.  That was basically my hospital stay.  There were no electronic devices to keep me occupied and I do not remember needing much beyond the basics.

After
The ride home was interesting.  As my friend Victoria, or Victoriassecret as she is known, has described it I complained every time we went over a bump.  I think a donut pillow was mentioned somewhere but I never had one.  An ordinary cushion was enough for me.  I mainly used the cushion when I slept on my side at night.  I placed it between my legs and that worked well enough.

When I went home I was given two things for dilation.  One was some soft foam rubber that could be rolled up with a condom placed over it.  I also believe I was given a smooth dildo.  It was certainly nothing like what people may receive these days with five or six different sizes like Victoria got along with extensive instructions.

I cannot remember whether I had a nightie in hospital.  I went into hospital wearing ordinary clothes and I went home wearing ordinary clothes.  I cannot remember whether I wore exactly the same clothes home.  When I arrived at the hospital in the morning I changed out of my day clothes so they were not being worn during my hospital stay.  It is quite possible that I simply put the same clothes back on when I went home.

Summary Then
What did I actually need for my hospital stay in February 1991?

  • Payment for the surgery, hospital fees, private health cover and anaesthetist fees.  I virtually got nothing back from the $10,000.
  • One toiletry bag.
  • A change of clothes or the same ones?
  • Possibly a nightie?

That was about it.  I lived happily ever after.

Summary for Me If It Was Today
If I were doing the same thing today I still do not think my list would be particularly long or change much.

  • Payment for the surgery, hospital fees and any other medical fees including appropriate medical or travel insurance if required.
  • The appropriate power plug or adaptor if I were overseas.
  • A laptop and charger.
  • A smartphone and charger which are almost a given these days.
  • Mobile service or access to Wi-Fi particularly if the hospital did not provide free Wi-Fi.
  • One toiletry bag.
  • A nightie.
  • A change of clothes.

Conclusion
Looking back I do not think I would change very much.  Everything I needed before would still be on my list today.  The main difference between the two lists would be the electronic devices and the ability to stay connected.

What can I say?  I never needed to take the kitchen sink with me when I went into hospital in February 1991 and I do not think I would need to take it with me in this day and age either.

Go figure!

Best Wishes Always
Sarah B
Global Moderator
@VictoriasSecret
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: MiaT on September 07, 2026, 10:51:49 PM
Yeah I agree about not taking too much in but a lot depends on the kind of hospital I guess. Also how long. Someone in an adjoining room to mine brought a load of board games in which was kinda neat.

If you are in a private facility where you can ring the bell and ask for tea and coffees or any other soft drink then great. Otherwise maybe bring some in.

First 2 days I couldn't face watching anything online so a light read was perfect. Audible was brilliant.

Extension lead in this day and age is a must if you are using devices. Don't go anywhere in the world without one and especially for this op where you really don't wanna be getting up all the time to bend down and plug in devices. Ouch. Makes me sensitive thinking of it.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: MiaT on September 07, 2026, 10:58:24 PM
With the discharge my facility said to expect a lot for many weeks inc occasional bleeds. I'm very glad they told me that as it was true. I also had an infection during the first two weeks and needed antibiotics. Pretty common thing to get either from the catheter or wound site.

Just don't think sanitary pads are any use at all for this post op. And they're also not as comfy. Maternity or incontinence all the way is my advice.

It's a good list tho'. Maybe a bit OTT but in some ways it's better to have more than less. That way you don't have to hassle rels or friends to bring things you omitted. 7 days can feel like a LOOOOONG time.

When you come to leave just makes sure you have a friend or hospital porter carry your bag.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: KathyLauren on September 08, 2026, 07:31:44 AM
Quote from: MiaT on September 07, 2026, 10:58:24 PMWhen you come to leave just makes sure you have a friend or hospital porter carry your bag.

The hospital wanted me to have someone with me, mostly for carrying bags.  My wife didn't want to fly two hours, spend a week in a strange city, visiting me for a short time every day, and then fly two hours home, just to be a porter.  So I went solo. 

It was not a problem.  The cab driver loaded my bag at the hospital and unloaded it at the airport.  I wheeled it to check-in.  Once checked in, I sat in my wheelchair with my bag on my lap and got pushed to my gate.  I had the flight attendant put my bag in the overhead bin and retrieve it on landing.  Then wheelchair, with the bag in my lap again, to the taxi stand.  The cab driver loaded and unloaded my bag.

So bag handling doesn't have to be a problem.  It is quite possible to go solo if you plan for it.  Just plan on not lifting the bag at all.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Charlotte Kitty on September 08, 2026, 07:45:57 AM
Luckily my bf can stay in my hospital room with me on the sofa bed. I'll need him as dilating will be difficult with healing breast augmentation at the same time! For a couple of weeks I'm sure i couldn't do it without him.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: SoupSarah on September 09, 2026, 07:03:10 PM
Hi - good luck - hope it went ok - sorry not sure when your due? I know its soon and popped in to send good vibes..
Sanitary pads - buy big cheap ones.. look for maxi -- youll need them for about 5 weeks - then get dettol, put a little in your bath - I had 2 baths a day for the 6 weeks home recovery and never had a single infection. Nothing fancy, dilate then jump in tub for 5 mins with a cap of dettol in .. thats it, twice a day, waking and going to bed... Dispoisable knickers, a must - the nurses will give you some take as many as you can get!
Take your pain meds, ibuprofen and paracetamol, both can be taken every 4 hours, I staggered them so i took my ibupriofen dose, waited 2 hrs took the paracetamol, then two hours later,,and so on  check with the surgeon on what they allow you - but stick with a routine. even if you feel fine it wont last - I was 'fine' 3  weeks after and went for a walk, hubby said no, i got upset and went anyway,,.., and regretted it the next 2 days.. you need calm, rest, access to clean bathroom, pain meds and rest ... did i say rest?...
It is very much worth it... I remeber thinking to myself, 'hey, I have done x weeks healing, I never have to do that bit again!' it worked.. 6 weeks soon goes and then it just gets better.. a year and you are all but great - 2 and you forgot what all the fuss was about.  xx hugs SS

Quote from: Tills on August 11, 2026, 06:35:45 AMQuick question: what did folk do about sanitary pads? I notice that my general information document from Nuffield Health says that those going through gynae procedures should bring sanitary pads.

I'd kind-of assumed the hospital would provide them during the stay and that I'd take their advice before buying things like that? But maybe not?

xx

Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on September 11, 2026, 12:32:51 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for such lovely messages and great insights.

I've had quite a tough time and couldn't post on here. I'll fill you in properly on how it all went.

I'm at my friend's house and a nasty infection seems to have been brought under control thanks to brilliant work by a multi disciplinary team of doctors: A&E, Gynae, Urology, and Ms Tina Rashid and nurses.

And the main thing is that I have a vagina. I have a vagina ☺️☺️☺️!!!

More soon I promise.

Xxx

@SoupSarah - thank you soooo much for checking in and posting great advice

@Stottie Girl thank you and I'll post more I promise

Xxx
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Mariah on September 11, 2026, 04:03:45 PM
Congrats on the new vagina. Some infection after the surgery isn't uncommon. I'm glad they have been able to bring it under control for you. Hugs
Mariah
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Stottie Girl on September 11, 2026, 04:04:21 PM
Wooohooo! Congratulations Tills! That is fantastic news. I was starting to get a little worried about you there. Great to know you are in good hands.

I cannot wait for the day I can say that about myself! One day I will make it happen!

Rest up, heal up and tell us all about it when you are up to it.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: KathyLauren on September 11, 2026, 04:25:50 PM
Congratulations, @Tills!  I am glad things are improving.  I hope you have a quick recovery.
Title: Re: Items to buy and bring for GCS Before, During, & After Hospital
Post by: Tills on September 19, 2026, 03:14:48 AM
Well I agree with @Sarah B  that I took too much in!

Yes @Stottie Girl there's free WiFi but it did break down a LOT.

Anyway I've posted about my Sex Affirming Surgery experience at Nuffield Parkside in a new thread:

https://www.susans.org/index.php?topic=255102.0

xx