Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Did I Tell Them too Soon?

Started by Rose Dawson, May 25, 2005, 12:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose Dawson

The reason I'm writing is because I'd like your advice on something I've already done. A little background on the situation: I'm nearly 26 years old, have wanted to be a woman since as long as I can remember and have always been into "drag" and dressing up as a woman "just for fun." However, like most TS people, that was more a cover up for the fact that I have always wanted to be a woman and enjoyed being one at any chance I could get - even if it was just for fun.

Well, as of the last few weeks, I've come to grips with the fact that I truly do feel like a TS and have known all along that I have the mind of a woman but the body of a man. I have never seen a gender therapist or been to any sort of counseling for this.

However, because I know this is what I want and who I am, I sent a letter to my family, telling them that I'm transsexual and plan to go through with the sex change, if it's recommended. At the very least, I would lead my life as a woman with the male anatomy.

My question is: Because I've never been officially diagnosed as TS - or ever been to a counselor- but I know how I feel, did I pre-maturely send this letter to my family? Have I made a big mistake by making such a serious disclosure about myself? As I said, the letter has already been sent with no turning back.
  •  

beth_finallyme

Hello Rose,

I would first suggest that you do see someone experienced in transsexual issues to discuss your feelings. 

Was telling them a mistake? I think it depends on the circumstances. Will they be supportive and help you achieve what you need? or will they be obstructive and totally against it? Does telling them mean that you cannot change your mind about your feelings? Most people think incorrectly that we just chose to change our gender. If we change our feelings of transsexuality over time, it can reinforce that belief so it is important to be absolutely sure.

most of us seem to fear and dread telling our family so we put it off as long as possible. I am on hrt and my family still does not know who i am.

Telling was not a mistake if you are transsexual and your family will not or can not obstruct you in financial or emotional ways or isolate you.  Telling can be a big relief from the burden of deception so it is a plus in some ways. I don't know if i am any help to you at all, i just felt like i should try. I hope that things work out well and you have lots of love and happiness.

beth

•  

michelle

I told my youngest sister that I was transgender thinking that she would understand.   She didn't and told my other brothers and sisters.   I am still emailing her but I am not sure that I have not messed up my relationship with the others such as it was.   When I told them I was 1500 miles away.    It was left to their imagination as to what transitioning meant  for me and how I was carrying it out.   People who are not familar with the broad spectrum of the transgender community are left with what they what they can imagine and that is the wild stereo types they have been exposed to.    That's what  I believe happened to me.   Life has taken me even farther from them.    This has left me even more isolated.    I think that one can have a better chance of better relationships if one can be with your family and let them see how transitioning is changing yu.   Then if they reject yu or accept yu it is based upon reality and not imagination.     Yu might try communicating with them by telephoning or chat or in person if possible to help them get to know yu better.   Then hopeful something good will work out and a new relationship can be formed out of reality.
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •  

4years

It depends greatly on your family. I'd say you trust them at least a small amount to have already sent aforementioned letter.

If it makes you feel any better I am in the same general situation of being self diagnosed only. I am supremacy confidant that I know what I am, although I do reexamine this often. (Not something to make a mistake on so I am being as sure as I possible can.).

I told my parents shortly after I woke up as well, next day as it happens. (My Father asked me what was bothering me.) In the end they just wanted to be sure.  I hope your Parents are as exceptional as my Parents are.

If they are even minutely receptive I suggest you do a good job educating them on what it means to be TG in general and TS in particular, least they be educated by the garbage you find on tv, on line and so on.

I wish you luck, hopefully you will not need it.
  •  

Jane

Hi Rose,
I'm in a similar boat (26 yrs old, just ready to come out), although I have been seeing a therapist.  Seeing a good therapist (who specializes in gender issues) will probably help you a great deal.  On the other hand, one of the big things I've learned is that there is no such thing as an official "diagnosis" of being TS.  It's just part of human variation, and you can't really test for it-- so seeing a therapist can't really lead to a yes/no answer on whether you're TS (it's not a yes/no binary anyway).  And any sort of operation isn't "suggested" as a "remedy" for being TS, it's just something you'll have to decide on yourself, based on what you're most comfortable with.  Seeing a consulor will help sorting through all of this (at least it has for me).  As for the letter, as long as you're comfortable with it, being open with you're parents isn't a mistake (although again, a consulor-- or knowing folks more experienced that I might help deal with helping you explain things to your parents).

Hugs,
Jane
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Rose Dawson on May 25, 2005, 12:50:04 AM
I'm nearly 26 years old, have wanted to be a woman since as long as I can remember and have always been into "drag" and dressing up as a woman "just for fun."

You have to live the first 18 years according to others views the rest is yours.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Svetlana

i think you might or might not have told them too soon, depending on how they will react.  according to how you feel, i think it was right to tell them.  as it seems to me from what you've said, you're sure of this.  with that, it's not at all an issue of being "officially labelled" (ie. diagnosed or not, seen X professionals, on Y stages of Z treatments)... or other people being sure of you before you know for sure... if you know for sure then you know for sure... it's only an issue of how you expect others to react with respects to that being a danger to your wellbeing and/or relationships.  judge it on that, and not some feeling of "i know, but i don't know i know until somebody else tells me they know what i know".  i've had such logic loops in my head before and they are basically bookends to fearfulness which shouldn't be in the "are you sure?" part of the brain in the first place.

i often think that prehaps others would be far nicer to us lot in general if they only knew that we are not pushing our lifestyles onto them but rather being pushed onto their lifestyles.  not clinging on with our fingernails for whimsy or stubbornness, but for dear life.  if they could just see that the very reasons that, at a snap, they are so absurdly avert to such things are the same feelings which are constant in us being forced the wrong way... they can get rid of the disgust by swatting us with insults or seeming disapproving amongst friends... whereas we have to friggin' look like that, and can only correct it as best we can.  the short sharp shocks they get are the mains flow of electricity we have to deal with.
  •  

4years

Quote from: Susan on May 25, 2005, 06:15:00 PMYou have to live the first 18 years according to others views the rest is yours.
I do not agree.
You have to appease others for the first 18, you do not need to bow to their views.

Quote from: Svetlana on May 25, 2005, 06:44:07 PM
i often think that prehaps others would be far nicer to us lot in general if they only knew that we are not pushing our lifestyles onto them but rather being pushed onto their lifestyles.
I think all it would take is for others to have a clue.
Strictly speaking a bit of formal education (say in elementary, er public school for um 2?-3?-10ish years in age – first school anyway) would go along way I think. There is after all no reason for anything related to TG to be tabooed.
  •  

Rose Dawson

Thank you all for your thoughts and support. I can only hope my family reacts the same  :)
  •  

Rose Dawson

:icon_joy:

I am so happy right now I could just spit!! (But that would be very unlady-like of me, so I'll just squeal)  :D

Well......after all that worrying about whether my parents would accept me after I told them who I truly am, I got this response from my mother

QuoteAnyway, why would I never talk to you again?  You're of my flesh and blood no matter what and I will love you no matter what.

I have waited my whole life to hear those words and there they are - in black and white, right in front of me!

Sorry for gushing so much about this but I am on top of the world now that I know I have my family's support!
  •  

beth_finallyme

That is wonderful news Rose,

I am so happy for you, I know it is a great comfort and relief.

I wish i was at that stage with my children.

beth
  •  

4years

Very happy for you Rose! :icon_mrhappy: :eusa_dance:

Hang in there Beth, I'm hoping for you!
  •  

Svetlana

yay, rose!  :eusa_dance: *dances*  :eusa_dance: *dances*  :eusa_dance:
  •  

nepantlera

Forgive me for jumping in so quickly, being fairly new and all. 

Jane is right, in my opinion.  I have yet to go to a therapist or counselor in order to diagnosed.  I have visited with them to work through issues that I found troublesome, but never to get an imprimatur concerning my authenticity.  I've know who I am for half a century -- a lot longer than most  of them have been in practice.

At the same time, families are a much different bag of weasels!  When I came out to my wife and children, my son moved out of the house and would not speak to me for almost two years.  I, of course, was held to blame for that situation.  It's easy to say now, but I remained resolute about my identity.  I also remained available for anyone who wanted to talk.  Eventually, it became too much of an inconvenience to leave me at home for every holiday and special occasion, and relationships began anew.  Was it hard?  Absolutely!  I felt terrible when I was abandoned to my "perversity" but I would tell myself over and over that I was not to blame for wanting to be honest, with myself and others.

I have siblings who still won't have anything to do with me but to "heck" with them if they can't take a joke.  At the same time that I was be ostracized by my family, I was expanding the circle of very close friends who love me.  I am a very lucky womyn in that regard.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that once the worst has happened, it's over.  Believe me, you can't undo the announcement and say, "Ha! Ha!  Just kidding!"  Right after you out yourself, the adjustment period begins.

Becky
  •  

LynnER

Congrats Rose, glad it went wel for you.  :D
I dont think you jumped the gun.  *I did the same thing telling my parrents before being "diagnosed"*   
          Rock on and try to keep those high spirits no matter how hard things may get.
  •  

wajdi

Jess (my son) first showed signs (that we recognized by talking; ain't hindsight great) at age two or three.  Speaking as Jess' father, I really wish we had recognized it at that time.  It may have been a little uncomfortable for Jess' mother and myself, but it would have been handled, and without 28 years of misery for Jess.

wajdi
  •  

Susan

Quote from: nepantlera on June 01, 2005, 09:03:34 PM
Forgive me for jumping in so quickly, being fairly new and all. 

Nothing to forgive jumping in is how you become un-new :)

Quote from: nepantlera on June 01, 2005, 09:03:34 PM
Jane is right, in my opinion.  I have yet to go to a therapist or counselor in order to diagnosed.  I have visited with them to work through issues that I found troublesome, but never to get an imprimatur concerning my authenticity.  I've know who I am for half a century -- a lot longer than most  of them have been in practice.

Now you are exactly 110% right. The point of therapy is NOT to get a certification of this is who you are. Anyone who goes in to therapy with that as their only goal is missing a great oportunity in their life to review things that trouble them. Therapy is intended to simply make sure that you are sane enough to make valid decisions about your life knowing the risks, facts, and rewards that entails. At the same time therapy can help you become a more integrated indvidual without a lot of those loose threads hanging loose about your psyche.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •