Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How do you define Christianity?

Started by gennee, February 09, 2007, 05:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gennee

I would like to ask what is your Definition of Christianity?

Gennee

:icon_question:
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Brianna

Those that will make Middle Eastern heathens, and Iraqis especially, pay with their lives for the crime of daring to oppose them.

Bri

•  

LynnER

Those who claim to be good christians are people who claim to be following the teachings of chirst who actualy go against everything he stood for... and forgot how to actualy read the bible... they manipulate what they see to suit there narrow views of how things should be and attempt to destroy everything that opposes them..........

What a christian should be......  Someone who follows the teachings of christ.... peace, love and all that....basicly a hippy
  •  

Kimberly

Well, at a quick stab at a 'official definition' yields:
Christianity

Chris·ti·an·i·ty [krìschee ánn?tee, krìsstee ánn?tee]
noun
1.  religion that follows Jesus Christ's teachings: the religion based on the life, teachings, and example of Jesus Christ 
2.  holding Christian beliefs: the fact of holding Christian beliefs or being a Christian 
3.  Christians as a group: all Christian people considered as a group. See also Christendom

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
An to be honest, to me, it computes in two ways. The first is very similar to the third definition, and the second would be similar to the first definition. All in all "My" definition pretty much mirrors definition number three. Not that that really is their point as I understand it but I am, and have often been, kind of at odds with religions in general.

For what it is worth...
  •  

kaelin

Of course, you're still not quite sure what you will get with those definitions, but they seem to be most accurate.  Christianity is not as precise of a religion or a belief system as we would like it to be sometimes.  It's not particularly useful to talk about its followers until you begin to consider a particular subset of Christians.
  •  

togetherwecan

Quote from: LynnER on February 09, 2007, 05:48:04 PM

What a christian should be......  Someone who follows the teachings of christ.... peace, love and all that....basicly a hippy

yep, that's the answer!
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: LynnER on February 09, 2007, 05:48:04 PM

LOL  I never thought of it that way but being a child of the 60's, I have no problem with that definition.

Bev
  •  

tinkerbell

I think the question has already been answered by Lynn, but here is a detailed definition of Christianity.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Arias

Walking with Jesus. That's... my definition.
  •  

Tiffany Elise

Since you ask my definition of a Christian is as follows:
  Someone that is humble enough to admit that their own thoughts and actions tend to go against what the laws and prophets show as the way to live and that they needed a saviour to make the sacrifice acceptable to a King they see by faith and not with the natural eye. This also means being humble enough to abstain from judging others and to use the word of God to glorify Jesus instead of finding clobber-passages.
  To me it is someone that has a God-given faith as they acknowledge the Father revealed the Son and it is the Son that will show them the Father by way of his Spirit revealing who that Son is. When they see who the Son is by the scriptures they will see God whom he is the express image of. As written, in thy light, we shall see light, or in Christ we see God.
  To me it is someone that loves the Lord their God with all their heart and all their soul and all their strength and all their mind and their neighbor as themselves. Not railing out against God nor their neighbor. Not using scripture to condemn but to give an eternal hope to their neighbor by revealing who Jesus is and what he did at Calvary. To love their neighbor enough to tell them the truth about what the scriptures say with no regard what the mainstream says.
  Christianity to me is to follow the Lord as he says and not as they wish in fear and reverence being willing to hate their life in this world to keep it to life eternal. To follow in baptism and then baptism of the Holy Ghost and to use the scriptures and teachings once again to give a hope and not to judge nor condemn. Being willing to go twain when the Lord asks them to do something and not just to say "I have all I need" or "they're going to hell so who cares."
  Christianity to me is to study with all your heart to see the Lord in the law and prophets and teach those things which will edify and not condemn.
  To me Christianity is to know in your heart that you are saved by grace through faith and not of works lest any man should boast and that the calling of God is while uncircumcised in the heart so to speak and that the heart is purified by the washing of the water of the word. A Spiritual work with no room for "You're going to hell you rotten transgender."
  And for those who love war, I believe the weapons of our warfare are not carnal and that when persecuted in one city we should flee to another, not destroy it or it's inhabitants as the freedom is a Spiritual work which makes us free from sin and death by faith in Christ Jesus our Lord.
  Finally, I believe there will come a day when there will be those who have the ressurrection of eternal life and others the ressurrection of damnation. As Paul said I know him in whom I believe and am persuaded he can keep that which I have committed to against that day. What I have committed unto him is my eternal soul to a faithful creator who has created me by sending forth his Spirit into me and That Day is the day of judgment.
  Tiff
  •  

katia

christianity is the same as every religion; a [hypocritical] belief based in lies and falsehoods. this isn't the only reason [i became an atheist]. to me, god seems like a [fairytale] that parents tell their children to [comfort] them when they have a nightmare. god is just an idea made up to [bring people comfort]. people [need] god to feel that they are [important in some way]. they [need] god so that they feel like their life actually [has meaning] to it, because a [life without meaning isn't really worth living]. when you think about it, compared to the size of the whole universe, [human existence] doesn't really matter. with how big the universe is, it doesn't matter if humans existed or not, it [wouldn't] make a difference. it doesn't matter [how important a person is on the earth] that we live on. so, somebody [came up with the idea of god] to [trick] themselves into thinking that their life [really does have meaning], even though the [existence of the whole human race is pointless]. god is just [a lie] designed to give humans a false sense of comfort. my personal opinion. ;)
  •  

Brianna

Quote from: Katia on February 10, 2007, 11:48:33 PM
god is just [a lie] designed to give humans a false sense of comfort. my personal opinion. ;)

I totally agree. And unlike Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Britney Spear's breasts, God is a dangerous lie that gets people killed.

I, personally, find it impossible to define Christianity without noting it's penchant for mass murder and social control. Christianity is better than any religion I am aware of of commiting genocide and attrocities - while remaining blissfully ignorant. I think in this sense it is a lethal and deadly virus.
  •  

Ricki

I prefer to try and define it as a faith;  as something that you cannot define or completely list examples of.  The act of being it to me is then the act of faith to do or live or practice your life in such a way that the tangibles are not there until the end or the next life.
I also think many "religions" are faiths in purity.
whatever people chose to follow or put their lifes work or faith into would be their religion or something like that
ricki
  •  

gennee

Thank you for your responses to this question. Feel free to continue on this topic. If you want my 2 cents worth, let me know.

Gennee

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Suzy

I thought the question was "What is a Christian?"  not  "Why do you hate Christianity and Christians?"

Be that as it may, a Christian is a follower of Christ.  That's what the word means.  Quite literally, it means Christ-ian, a little Christ.  This was the common designation for the followers of any great teacher.

My definition is a little less complicated:  Anyone who has a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

There is a LOT not included in my definition.  This is by choice.

Hope this helps.

Peace, Please!
Kristi
  •  

Lori

A christian is a person that finds other people like them so they can form armies and go to war and kill those that do not think like them.

A christian is somebody that tells me I'm evil and a sinner and should find god and pray away my problem.
A christian is somebody that thinks I am the one with a problem
A christian is somebody that reads a book that tells them I have a problem and its up to them to get me to change to they way their book says I should live.
A christian is somebody that doesnt believe its they themselves that has a problem not me. I was just born this way and have no way of stopping or controlling nature.
A christian is somebody that doesnt look into science and genetics and study the issue in a logical fashion and just goes by a book written by a bunch of nutballs years ago that had no clue.

Amen

Lori
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Katia on February 10, 2007, 11:48:33 PM
god seems like a [fairytale]

LOL, [The Christian] God is *not* a fairy's tale, believe you me ;)

The two are like oil and vinegar. And I'm not even sure which is which.

Kate
  •  

LynnER

•  

Cindi Jones

I believe that there are many people who follow their religion and teachings and are fine upstanding people.  Many of those who helped me along the way were faithful Christians.  And there were many who were not what I would call shining examples of their faith.

Generally, we face the gambit of bigotry from those who may call themselves Christians.  I honestly believe that they do these things in ignorance and are grasping for a way to justify their own insecurities.  So... they'll use their religion from which to base their filth.  Power mongers will use any tools available to reach their goals.  If they can harness the blind hatred based in twisted religious views, they will sieze it and use it.  We do see religious organizations who do this as a matter of course.... but again not all.

There are many definitions of "Christian".  I think that a true Christian would follow his teachings, turn the other cheek in all cases, and would allow himeself/herself to be crucified rather than to fall into the pit of hatred and resolve to kill defending their beliefs.

There aren't many true Christians out there to be sure.  But they are there.  And they can be some of our best supporters.  You can be sure that I fight against the negative aspects typically associated with religion in general.  It doesn't matter which sect it is.  I don't associate with any religion.  But I can not in good conscience denigrate ANY group of people by their beliefs, especially when those beliefs are defined as full of love and charity.  Hatred is a separate and non religious emotion.  Those expressing hatred have beliefs that say one thing yet they do another.  This is not a fault of their faith.  It is a problem with their implementation. 

Many of us have been hurt by those pretending to represent the views of Christ.  And the backlash can be extraordinary.  For years, I was very angry and dismissed religion as a  matter of course. I became an atheist. Over the years however, my backlash has quelled. I still haven't decided if I'm still an atheist or not ;) Those who have offended me will continue to do so.  There is nothing that I can do but move on and live my life.  Where possible, legal and political actions can have a positive effect.  And you can be sure, I'll be there to lend my support.

But I need to accept those who are sincere in their beliefs.  I would hope that we all can.  To be clear, I can not condone intolerance, bigotry, and hatred in any form. But those who can follow the tenants of their faith and walk the path of peace.... I'll gladly accept with open arms.

So... does "Christian" equal "A peaceful and loving person"?  Where that is true, I can agree.  I doubt Christ would want anything more.

Chin up

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Suzy

Thank you, Cindi, for speaking words of wisdom.

Kristi
  •