Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Hair Styling

Started by hilah.hayley, July 20, 2011, 10:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilah.hayley

One of the things that I have no skill at yet whatsoever is styling my hair. If I need my hair styled I have to go to the salon to get it done. I don't know how to curl my hair or iron it or even blow it out to straighten! There doesn't seem to be a section on the topic either and yet I think it's very important to learn.

I'm trying to find a school in NYC where I can learn hair styling for myself, not to become a hair stylist or a full professional course. Just a do-it-yourself kind of thing. My wife has no idea how to do her hair either. She's always had very very curly hair and not therefore not easily manipulated.

Anyone ever take something like that, if not, how did you learn?  ???

Thanks!
  •  

amymichelle

Quote from: Hayley Rivka on July 20, 2011, 10:51:59 AM
One of the things that I have no skill at yet whatsoever is styling my hair. If I need my hair styled I have to go to the salon to get it done. I don't know how to curl my hair or iron it or even blow it out to straighten! There doesn't seem to be a section on the topic either and yet I think it's very important to learn.

I'm trying to find a school in NYC where I can learn hair styling for myself, not to become a hair stylist or a full professional course. Just a do-it-yourself kind of thing. My wife has no idea how to do her hair either. She's always had very very curly hair and not therefore not easily manipulated.

Anyone ever take something like that, if not, how did you learn?  ???

Thanks!

I'm clueless when it comes to hair and makeup, got my wig in today and I haven't a clue how to wear it or style it.
Much Love Amy Michelle
  •  

barbie

Most women begin to learn hair styling at their teens or even toddler. It is difficult for m2f to catch up. For this reason, I do not change my hair style. Just straightened or ponytail. And, at my age, hairs tend to be easily damaged by any chemical treatment.

At hair salon, hair styliests give me enough tips on how to manage my hair. I do not need to study hair styling. Just follow their advice.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Lyric

You have my sympathy. I've never heard of lessons in amateur styling, but it's not a bad idea. It wasn't so difficult for me because I'd always had a passion for hairstyling anyway, so as soon as I moved away from home and grew some hair I bought every Goody gadget at the supermarket and tried them all. Some books and women's magazine articles helped, too.

Nowadays there's a much easier way than blind experimentation: YouTube. Pretty much every time I search YouTube for something on doing a particular hairstyle, I find it. I don't search withing YT, though. I do site search in Google like this:
french twist site:www.youtube.com

That search yields 55,000 videos, BTW. I don't think anyone could put together a how-to course as thoroughly tailored to your needs as using YouTube. It just takes a little searching.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Randi

My hair stylist always shows me what to do to make it look feminine-how to blow it dry, how to hold the brush and get the right curl-she is a godsend. She always tells me she would rather cut it to look masculine but she does what I want-exactly what I want so it is starting to look very feminine. If I can learn how to do it anybody can.

Randi
  •