Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Enlightenment in 8 seconds flat....

Started by Anatta, September 06, 2011, 01:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

:icon_rolleyes2: Enlightenment in 8 Seconds  :icon_yikes:

Plenty "not" to think about ....

Happy Mindfulness

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) In plain English...When one becomes fully aware of "being aware" then one can see that "Thought itself is the thinker"...There is no permanent unchanging entity commonly known as "I" behind the thought, just many years of reinforced "conditioning" creating a false sense of a permanent "self"...

The philosophy of  'I'

Who am I ? Has been the quest of philosophers of old-
But they seem none the wiser- if I dare be so bold

A Tibetan Lama gave me this quest and no matter how 'I' try-
when searching deep within my 'self' 'I' have trouble finding 'I'..

'I' have a body, thoughts and a mind, I know that I'm not dumb
But the more 'I' try to pin down 'who 'I' am' the more elusive 'I' become !

I' know I'm not the body nor the thoughts flowing through the mind-
What 'I' am and what I'm not is quite difficult to find

How can I be all three at once when they have functions of their own-
But all seem to work together, never entirely alone...

Am 'I' just an illusion, like a distant rainbow to behold ?
and when up close, finding nothing, the trail just runs cold...

'I' guess 'I' should give up the 'ghost', and perhaps just say to the Lama-
'I' can't seem to pin down who 'I' am – so could 'I' just be the 'conditioning'  of  [my] 'karma'?

::) Food for thought for the "non" thinker.....

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) WOW ! Around 60 rush-through enlighten customers so far...I'm impressed...Perhaps I should start to charge ;) :D ;D

•  

tekla

The best part of Buddhist thought (before the West ruined it) was that it was neither evangelical nor preachy.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Anatta

The best part of Buddhist thought (before the West ruined it) was that it was neither evangelical nor preachy.

Kia Ora,

You would be surprise what Buddhism was like pre Western influence...

::) However no matter how one comes across Buddhism, it's down to the individual to 'deeply' explore the teachings for themselves...And if they experience the benefits, all well and good-they are on the right track...If not, find another path...

It's interesting many people who say they understand the Buddha teachings, yet their lives are still full of "self" inflicted suffering...   

As the saying goes " Don't mistake the finger pointing to the moon, for the moon !"

Don't think too much and don't take life too seriously....After all "Nothing whatsoever should be clung too!"...[If one clings one suffers-we all have this choice]

•  

tekla

Actually I was standing on the shore (so to speak), when all that Eastern flotsam (to coin a term) floated up back in the 60s.  I was far to involved with all the people who knew Baba Rum Rasin when he quit Harvard and started to do the Hindu thing, and I still have my first edition of  Alan Watts (signed even, which is kinda not Buddhist, him signing it mean) because he was friends with a nun who taught me (Catholic, I don't hold it against her, she also turned me on to Eric Hoffer, who did meaningfully affect my life*).  I wasted weekends out at Tassajara.  And to me it always smacked of just what you posted, Enlightenment in 8 seconds flat.  No work, no dedication, just sudden enlightenment.  I did learn later at the Zen Center of San Francisco that there is a deeper tradition, one of real austerity, but give that stuff to Westerners and it just becomes McReligion, all hat, no cattle, as they say in Texas.

* - I'd strongly suggest reading him, about the only non-Freudian intellectual of his age.  Basically he said that fanaticism, faith, the need to preach and self-righteousness are rooted in self-hatred, self-doubt, and insecurity. Of particular interest to me all the time when I read posts in there is the though he repeats over and over in the The True Believer, where people who had a passionate obsession with the outside world or with the private lives of other people, and their thoughts and opinions is merely a useless and dangerous attempt to compensate for a total lack of meaning in one's own life.  It's nice if people accept you, but it's not necessary by a long shot so long as you accept yourself first.  In that way the options of others are just coloring for the tapestry of life, not the fabric.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Sound interesting but as they say the proof is in the pudding...There are people in the West who have spent many years studying Buddhism[academics so to speak-like those you have mentioned]-yet fail to put what they have learnt into practice...I can think of a few who fit this description...

::) There are thousand upon thousand of books on Buddhism, some people read lots of books,[when in fact they should be using them to sit on and meditate  ;) ] some go to different Buddhist teachers looking for the "quick fix" enlightenment, as you have mentioned people were doing in the early days... Sadly years later many end up none the wiser...Still bearing grudges, carry around burdens creating more and more karma as they go-so to speak... It's sad how one wastes all those precious teaching...

::) But I had to smile when I read this of your post " Basically he said that fanaticism, faith, the need to preach and self-righteousness are rooted in self-hatred, self-doubt, and insecurity!" And the other part when you said he "repeats" over and over etc etc, [a little like preaching don't you think  ;) ;D]...

::) However, I can understand how some might choose to view what I write has preaching, but hey it's their choice...Nobody's forced to read what I write nor are they forced to think about it...

::) As far as my life goes, I'm happy and content with my lot, but I can understand when reading "some of the responses to my posts" how some might find my disposition  a little unsettling at times, especially when they might personally be finding the going tough...

So if I've made others feel uncomfortable with what I write my apologise  :icon_bunch:

I can only wish those who are having a rough time, all the best, and that they too will in the near future find true peace and contentment...

::) Remember ... It's all in the mind...

•