Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Why I feel lucky

Started by Dennis, September 24, 2005, 09:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

When I read DebTV's post, I started thinking about it and the other side of the coin. So here's my list (albeit a happier one):

- I had great parents who never forced me into a gender role
- My Dad taught me to fix cars, do woodworking and do all the things they wouldn't teach me in school because I was a "girl"
- My Dad took me fishing and treated me like I wanted to be treated
- My Mum, though clearly disappointed that she didn't get a girly girl, seldom fought my obvious inclinations (other than a few forced hair-curlings and dress-wearings)
- My parents bought me and allowed me to play with gender appropriate (boys) toys
- My teachers at school would let me play boys parts in plays (until puberty), or write in a special gender-neutral part for me because I refused to play a girl
- I didn't start puberty until I was 17, so I was a bit older and it was easier to deal with the trauma
- I got experience in a number of traditionally male jobs and was treated as one of the guys in all of them by most co-workers
- I managed to get through undergrad and law school eventually despite depression and other problems
- I didn't pick up anything too badly in the way of substance abuse
- The times I have been threatened because of gender variance have resulted in little to no injury
- I picked up a whole lot of wonderful, supportive friends along the way who love me no matter how I'm different
- I work in a workplace that is accepting of my difference
- I work with clients, other lawyers, court staff, judges, social workers, probation officers, and youth workers who are accepting of my difference
- Not a single client had a problem when I sent them "the letter". Some called and sent cards to be supportive
- I live in a small town that is accepting of my difference, if people know about it. Every day that I go out and encounter strangers who call me "sir" is an affirmation
- I responded to Testosterone in a way physically that made me go from looking female to looking male quite quickly, so I didn't have a long time in between genders (although I still look in between to me, but it'll come)
- my voice changed quickly on T
- I have broad shoulders, so my body shape, although not perfect by a long shot, at least looks male
- My feet are big enough to fit regular men's shoes
- so far I'm not getting much in the way of male pattern baldness, and genetically, it seems likely that I won't
- T hasn't caused a major zit breakout
- I didn't lose my singing voice (except that I yodel a bit in tenor range, but that'll come)
- my blood work has been fine, so no doctor is trying to decrease or stop my T shots
- I was able to afford surgery when I wanted it

It's not all perfect and I'm not a pollyanna. There are things I'd like to change, like facial hair would be nice, I could do with losing some weight (which I'm working on - 7 pounds down so far), and I wish I looked older than 20-something. But I if I don't count my blessings, I am at risk of taking them for granted.

Dennis

PS: and I have a cat who loves me:

•  

Andre

Hey Dennis! Yeah u're really lucky! I have a black-white tom cat Abdula.  At least I can be honest with him-he'll just listen...not criticize me.
For years I ignored my private part of life-just looked professional(school,competitions) , I was lonely ...just existed not lived my own life. Now I'm finally ready to be myself no matter how high the price is. As I said so far changed 3 schools....but no true friend. From this year I started to spend more time on my appearance-ok maybe I won't be so good at school like I used to be but I wanna feel the other part of life. My mother ,almost, accepts me as I am-although she is sad cause I have chosen long and not easy way of life .
Last week I visited my friend from previous school-I  stopped shaving so when I came she was so rude that I couldn't stand it and left. Yes I'll lose "friends" but they are not my friends if they can't accept me as I am. Even before she just used me-I often did her homeworks etc.
Also had situations like going to girl's toilet and a girl said that I was in the wrong toilet-that one was for girls. Other girl told previous girl to let me go cause probably a girlfriend had dumped me. At the same moment was happy and sad-they thought I was a boy but was I so desperate?
Now at new school still don't have real friends,but it is too early to say(1 month). Most time I hang with boys-they think I'm weird but cool. Now planning to start with firegun shooting....
This year was dark for me-had cysts on ovaries-it took doctors 3 months just to figure out right diagnose- tumor,cysts and even hermaphroditism(would like that ;). At the end just cysts. I had surgery at the end of January, and then recovery(had some complications) ....I felt so desperate-was among best students and then lost year. Yeah if the life is easy we wouldn't cry at birth....
Started with exercices-got muscles!That's the least I can do-considering I haven't started HRT (dilemma about having offspring in the future).
Love domestic atmosphere at this forum!:)
Anyway guess I'm lucky 2-healthy, have supporting family,...and enough strength to hold on social pressure....the most important is to be myself-inside and OUTSIDE.

Buddy Andre'87.

•  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Dennis,

Hmmmmmmmm I don't know if you are lucky or just blessed  :)  It is so much better to dwell on things that make us happy, the fond memories, the happy times, and those who have supported us.  There really isn't any point in dwelling on the negative as it's in the past, and that's one thing we can't change.  Of course, we shouldn't forget the negatives or the past either as that is one way of preventing their recurrence in the future.

I am truly happy for you and the way your life is unfolding for you.  I must say that in some ways I'm a little envious, but I know that I shouldn't be.

As far as wanting facial hair -  eeeeeewwww, you can have some of mine, no wait, ALL of mine  :D and don't wish you were older than 20 too hard as before you know it you will be wishing you were 20 again :)

Take care my man,

Steph
  •  

Dennis

I just want to look old enough to actually be a lawyer, rather than looking like the Doogie Howser of the legal world. It's odd being 43 and being treated like you're 20. It can stop close to 30. I'll stay there for a while.

Dennis
  •  

KelliTGirl

•  

beth

Dennis,

You certainly have lots to be thankful for, and thank you for reminding me to think about the good things in my life.

Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like a lack of facial hair is a problem!

beth
  •