Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Am I the Only Person That Hates Sequels? (Slight rant)

Started by Dante, September 16, 2011, 12:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante

I'm having the hardest time lately, because I seem to be the only person in the world that hates sequels, especially to video games. They always ruin the whole story for me! I know somebody will tell me to just ignore the sequel then, but once a sequel's been made, I can't ignore it. There's a difference to me between games that are singular and games that are in a series. Singular games feel more "solid", whereas series games are more "lofty" (you never know when they'll make another sequel. I just can't stand it, because they almost never do a good job, and when they do, it's still not good enough to live up to the original. There's only one game series I can think of where this isn't the case (that would be Myst; I think the 3rd is the best, not the 1st).

Anyway, this minor rant is brought on by a rather sad piece of news for me. See, my favorite game is The World Ends With You (this game means the world to me; not only is it a good story, but it helped me through some really rough times in my life, strange as it sounds). I just found out that Neku, the main character, is making a cameo in the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3D. I'm absolutely sure Square Enix is testing the water with it, as if Neku makes an appearance, the fanbase for TWEWY will certainly grow (as TWEWY is not very well known, but KH is), and the demand for a sequel would rise even higher. But a sequel would ruin TWEWY. Completely. I cringe at the thought of my favorite game in the entire world being corrupted by a sequel. However, I seem to be the only TWEWY fan in existence that believes this. Every other TWEWY fan is clamoring for a sequel.

So, my question is, are there any other people out there that hate sequels as much as I do?  :-\

•  

~RoadToTrista~

Nope, I often like sequels better. That whole "prequel > sequel always" thing isn't really true.
  •  

Arctic Kat

Considering The World Ends With You was made by the same team who made Kingdom Hearts, I think it's forgivable to let Neku make a cameo.

Kingdom Hearts has plenty of spinoffs (and I think jumped the shark after KH2). But that may have been due to pressure from Disney, not because Square Enix wanted to make them.

I don't think Square Enix has much interest in making a sequel to The World Ends With You. There's no pressure from Disney (and I hope they've learned their lesson about what they've done with Final Fantasy VII.) :P
I certainly wouldn't want a sequel either -- that game was wonderful all by itself.
Waarom mag een jongen nooit prinsesje
Waarom mag een meisje nooit superman zijn
Elke vogel bouwt z'n eigen nestje
Hier bij ons mag iedereen zijn wie ze zijn
  •  

Dante

Fair enough, but even just that changes Neku's story. I mean, how did he end up in the universe of KH? His story takes place in the "real world". And how is he in the Reaper's Game again?

Anyway, I hope they don't make a sequel, but Nomura-san is talking "mysteriously" about things related to Neku's cameo, and every time he did that with KH, there was a sequel/spin-off announced shortly after. >.< Glad to know someone agrees with me, though!

•  

Crypt

It all depends on the game to me
There are some games where the original is better in my opinon(such as Halo, I never really got into but I really didn't like the 2nd or 3rd one having never finished the 2nd due to loss of interest and only finishing the 3rd when playing with a bunch of friends never solo)
but then there are some where I prefer the sequel to the original(The elder scrolls comes to mind, hated morrowind because it was very difficult for me to even begin to figure out but oblivion was a completely different story)
  •  

VeryGnawty

Sequels or spin-offs which were vastly more awesome, or equal, to the originals:

Devil May Cry 3
Super Mario Brothers 3
Super Mario World
Megaman X (series)
Soul Calibur 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Twisted Metal: Black
Vigilante 8: Second Offense
Gradius V
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Tekken 3
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Ribbons

Depends on the genre.

For adventure games and whatnot, it can be weird. But something like JRPG's, life simulators, fighting games, etc.. No, the more sequels the better.
  •