Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

We're sorry for being self-righteous, judgmental bastards.

Started by David W. Shelton, February 24, 2007, 06:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzy

Zythyra, great post.

She is so right about there being different faces of God is the Old Testament.  Theories abound as to who wrote which parts and when.  And in a sense it does not matter so very much.  Theologian Brevard S. Childs helps us understand that what is really most important is that these text were taken as God's word in this particular form, and have thereby influenced the beliefs and faith practices of a particular people.  Therefore, it is vitally important to learn, not just the text, but the interpretation of it.  I have not read the entire Torah (and neither have the vast majority of Jews).  I have read parts of the Mishnah and found it very enlightning as to the history of interpretation.

Peace, Please!
Kristi
  •  

Dryad

Quote from: zythyra on March 05, 2007, 09:47:03 AM

There is more than one face of G-d in the old testament. While there are many instances of the angry g-d that you mention, there was also a g-d of love and compassion. The bible was written by various different authors over time, and thus we see multiple variations in the depictions of g-d and histories of events. In the Jewish tradition, there are numerous writings (talmud) about these differences and what they might mean. It is an incomplete assessment of Judaism to only read what the old testament (torah) says, without taking into account these extensive commentaries (talmud).

zythyra
Yes. Hence the rest of my post.
  •  

Shana A

QuoteTherefore, it is vitally important to learn, not just the text, but the interpretation of it.  I have not read the entire Torah (and neither have the vast majority of Jews).  I have read parts of the Mishnah and found it very enlightning as to the history of interpretation.

I sure haven't read the entire thing! One of the things that I like about Judaism is that every single opinion matters. Both dissenting and agreeing. We don't just take the Rabbi's word for it.

QuoteYes. Hence the rest of my post.

Yes, you did point out the change from one to the other.

A few years ago I read an interesting outlook on the story of Abraham, saying that perhaps g-d didn't tell Abraham to kill his son, and it was only when g-d said to not kill him, that was the voice of g-d, all the previous was the voice of Abraham's mind... Certainly many people (of all religions) interpret the texts to suit what they want them to say...

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•