Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Support around Atlanta Ga.

Started by alyssa, March 03, 2007, 12:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alyssa

does any one know of any support groups around atlanta ga.? thanks
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Alyssa, yes i do. 

AGE (Atlanta Gender Explorations) meets monthly at a church in Southeast Atlanta.  Their website is http://www.atlantagender.org/ and is an open support group.  Quoting from their website, "This means that there are no special requirements for membership except that you or a loved one are exploring a significant gender issue in your life."

There is also a Tri-Ess group in Atlanta.  This is a closed support group only for hetero crossdressers and wives/signifigant others.  http://www.sigmaepsilonatlanta.org/

Bev
  •  

Lars

This is something I think I'd really enjoy and would get allot of support from. I looked at the brochure and would like to attend their newcomer's meetings. But here's the catch. Due to a disability, I need some one to drive. The bus stops are not within walking distance to my house, so I need to be driven to one. I'm not out to my mom or my brother and don't know how to come out. I'm only out to one friend (and an ex who I don't trust), but he's in another state. Please advise me.

I am thinking about printing out the brochure and simply asking my mom if she will drive me to the bus stop. She will undoubtedly ask about it which really leaves me with one viable option, to be honest with her. Keep in mind she has a hisory of being verbally abusive, so acceptance is not a likely response. I'm far more likely to be told "no" and then given a lecture about what a horrible person I am. There is a reason I don't associate with her whenever I can avoid it.

Sincerely,
Lars
  •  

BeverlyAnn

The first thing to do would be contact whichever group you would be interested in meeting with.  There's always the possibility that someone might live in your area.  I don't belong to either group but I know that people from AGE live all over Atlanta.

Beverly
  •  

Lars

Thank you, Beverly. Perhaps I may even find some one who goes to my college or who lives near there so we can meet at a Starbucks or some such place. I can introduce them as a friend from school, if I must, though the school may simply be the school of life. :) I will have to come out to family at some point, but I'd like to build a support system before I do, friends who will understand that I want to bind my breasts and have an outing as a man... or not, or just to sit and talk, even chit chat, but with a real live flesh and blood person who does not identify with the gender their body was born with. They have two numbers. I will call the one that appears to have the area code nearest me. From there, I can chat about how I am going ot get there or if there are people willing to meet closer to me or what I can do... Or perhaps I can just come out to mom and see what happens. I'll call AGE first. I'll let ya know how things go.

Thank you for the advice.

Sincerely,
Lars
  •  

Haruke

I've been... DYING to know if there was one out here! I hate being all alone on campus out here. It's ridiculous--maybe that's just me. It'd be nice if there was a support group. I do live in Atlanta are, and I go to Clayton College and State University. I seriously hate having no one to relate to on campus, I see how you feel, Lars. good luck to you on that! :3

~Jei
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Jei,
With attitudes being what they are in Clayton County due to the influx of a rather macho based culture, most people keep a low profile out here but there are TG people in the Forest Park, Lake City, Morrow corridor.  I don't personally know of anyone at CCSU however.

Beverly
  •  

Haruke

I've noticed, Beverly, that people are most unwilling in Clayco, but our college has finally gotten confirmation on having a Gay-Straight Alliance, so I hope that's a breakthrough for our school community. We'll be doing alot of volunteer work. It makes me sad that there isn't much support for TG out here, because I'm sure there are a good number who need to be supported in a time like that. ): But, I'll see if I can look into areas like Forest Park, and such. thanks alot! :3

Jei
  •