Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

As 'trans' people what do we have in common ?

Started by Anatta, November 21, 2011, 02:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) I put this in the 'philosophy' section so that any one can comment, it doesn't matter how you see yourselves...

::)In another thread I asked "Would you be a spokesperson for trans-people ?" https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,110666.0/topicseen.html   Which got me thinking...

::) Well what do we really have in common[a common thread that runs through us all] that one could safely mention without fear of a backlash ?

::) Is there any one thing that truly unifies us apart from what some might call a birth defect?[even this term some will find offensive]

::) Being born with this condition might be one thing but as we grow and develop, our lives for the most part differ greatly in how our family, friends and society at large perceive and treat us...

::) Then we have the girly girls, the manly men, the straight, the bent, the in between, the introvert[I just want to get on with my life and blend in] the extrovert [I like to flaunt who I am, I'm proud of my 'trans' self/nature]   

::) Have you thought about what it is that actually bonds us ?

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Maya Zimmerman

Some aspect of our assigned gender does not quite jive with who we are, how we perceive ourselves, and/or how we'd like others to perceive us, all or some of the time.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Maya Zimmerman on November 21, 2011, 02:44:24 PM
Some aspect of our assigned gender does not quite jive with who we are, how we perceive ourselves, and/or how we'd like others to perceive us, all or some of the time.

Kia Ora Maya,

::) Good observation ... :eusa_clap:

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Maya Zimmerman

Thanks.  I pride myself on having a way with both words and numbers to make up for my complete ineptitude with other people.
  •  

xXRebeccaXx

Even in death, may I be triumphant.
  •  

Constance

I think Maya said it quite well.

And Rebecca? I've sired two kids. So while I'm probably not all that fertile now after being on HRT for a while, I'm not sterile (yet) either.

Shana A

Simply, the feeling that our external sex/gender, assigned by others at birth, doesn't match our inner sense of gender.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Maya Zimmerman

Quote from: Zythyra on November 21, 2011, 04:46:13 PM
Simply, the feeling that our external sex/gender, assigned by others at birth, doesn't match our inner sense of gender.

Except crossdressers.  :)
  •  

JenJen2011

"You have one life to live so live it right"
  •  

apple pie

Quote from: Maya Zimmerman on November 21, 2011, 04:54:15 PM
Except crossdressers.  :)

Okay let me try :P We all try to look somewhat differently from the stereotype of our birth sex? (Probably still not really right but hmmmm)
  •  

eli77

External force. Basically we are a bunch of people who are mostly entirely unalike except we all face some kind of stigma, discrimination, danger, limitation, and/or invisibility due to normative notions of sex and/or gender within our various societies. That was the point of the "transgender umbrella" really - alliance of political convenience.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

A heartbeat....usually. That's about it. And for some of us, you'd swear the heart was missing.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Zythyra on November 21, 2011, 04:46:13 PM

Z

Kia Ora Z,

::) Another truth which is also along the lines of what Maya was saying....

•  

Anatta

Quote from: apple pie on November 21, 2011, 09:29:05 PM
Okay let me try :P We all try to look somewhat differently from the stereotype of our birth sex? (Probably still not really right but hmmmm)

Kia Ora Apple,

::) Still a good answer though.............

•  

Anatta

Quote from: MeghanAndrews on November 21, 2011, 09:51:51 PM
A heartbeat....usually. That's about it. And for some of us, you'd swear the heart was missing.

Kia Ora Meg,

::) You have gone right to the heart of the matter so it would seem..... ;) ;D

•  

apple pie

Quote from: Zenda on November 21, 2011, 10:05:49 PM
Kia Ora Meg,

::) You have gone right to the heart of the matter so it would seem..... ;) ;D

If it didn't have to be unique to us, I think things such as being humans, needing oxygen to survive and living on earth (assuming no one up in the ISS could / would come here) probably count as something we have in common ;) hehe
  •  

xXRebeccaXx

Quote from: JenJen2011 on November 21, 2011, 09:16:17 PM
Lol.

Thats not really that funny, I really wanted biological kids. The closest thing I could get is if my future husband(james Maslow) impregnates my sister.
Even in death, may I be triumphant.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: xXRebeccaXx on November 21, 2011, 03:41:25 PM
were all sterile.

Kia Ora Rebecca,

::) This would only come about if 'all' trans-people chose the HRT path...However there are some who may never take HRT..So in a sense it's not something we 'all' have in common...

•  

King Malachite

We aren't cis people so our experiences may be a bit similar to relation in some situations.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •